User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Progressive Hardwired EMS 50 Amp / HW50C - High Frequency Error

I am having issues with my 2019 351M and a Progressive EMS unit. I get a high frequency error roughly 7/10 times when the automatic transfer switch first energizes and the contactors slam home. It does this on different power sources and with all DC disconnected and main breakers off. Progressive sent me a new unit, and it still does the same thing.

No issues once it either resets or I get one of the 3 times it does not trip. I have concluded that it has to be the transfer switch, but I have talked to Southwire / SureGuard 3 times, and they insist that it cannot be.

However, that is the only thing that gets power when it trips (when I have everything else disconnected). Also, the switch buzzes, and Southwire said that is normal because the relay vibrates. Well...Wouldn't this vibration potentially cause a frequency variation???

Any ideas??? Any help would be appreciated.

As a side note, my 351M has the SureGuard ATS model 40140 - specially designed for Grand Design. It is a cheaper version of their most basic ATS that GD specially requested. Nice.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Transfer switch buzzing should be from the AC cycle and therefore at the same frequency.
    The DC side of things is separated by the converter, so shouldn't have any influence either.
    Line frequency is set by the generators massive rotors. Not likely to shift!

Have a good long chat with Progressive!
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato View Post
    I am having issues with my 2019 351M and a Progressive EMS unit. I get a high frequency error roughly 7/10 times when the automatic transfer switch first energizes and the contactors slam home. It does this on different power sources and with all DC disconnected and main breakers off. Progressive sent me a new unit, and it still does the same thing.
    Your post is thorough except that other than "different power sources" you don't mention the sources. Is this happening on shore power, generator power, or either?

When our generator was propane-fuel-starved and barely running the HW50C EMS was shutting down due to a high frequency error. (When we figured out the fuel problem the EMS was happy.) Long shot, but I thought I'd toss it in. Hope you get better ideas.

Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Your post is thorough except that other than "different power sources" you don't mention the sources. Is this happening on shore power, generator power, or either?

When our generator was propane-fuel-starved and barely running the HW50C EMS was shutting down due to a high frequency error. (When we figured out the fuel problem the EMS was happy.) Long shot, but I thought I'd toss it in. Hope you get better ideas.

Good luck.
    I put the EMS on the shore power side - in front of the ATS, so it does not "monitor" generator power. I have the same issue with my 30 amp connection at home and with 2 other shore powers at campgrounds. I get the error on all I have tried.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE: I spent some time and bypassed the ATS and found that the Progressive EMS worked fine. I went ahead and ordered a new Southwire / Sureguard ATS model 40100 and just installed it today. Success. All is working as it should.

Holy moly, though! What a difference in what GD installed at the factory (model 40140 made especially for them). Pic attached. The new one is their most basic ATS as well. Weighs about double the GD switch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ATS's.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	30824