Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Round A/C Vent Removal

While camping recently during a very heavy rain storm overnight, we woke up to find a puddle of water on the floor caused by water dripping from one of the round A/C vents in the ceiling. I wanted to remove the vent to get a better view and to start the drying process but I could not figure out how to get the plastic part out of the ceiling. Turns out that the leak was from the skylight above the shower which was found when I removed the inside trim ring. I will deal with fixing that later but first I would still like to get the A/C vent out of the ceiling to have a look around.

Can anyone tell me how to get those vents out of the ceiling without damaging them? Hopefully it won't require a trip to the dreaded dealer! Thanks in advance.
    John and Karyn
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    2020 Reflection 150 Series 295RL

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not familiar with your rig but in mine, you just grab the vents and pull them down. They are a two piece part. The other part remains in the ceiling.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a two-piece vent. However the pieces can be exceedingly difficult to remove. When I removed one of mine (in the bunkroom) that the kids had damaged, the entire unit pulled off with screws and all. I replaced the vent with a new one, aligning the unit so that the screws would bite into a different part of the ceiling since the old holes were stripped.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^^ What @TheLexx said.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies. I am always hesitant to pull on anything plastic, especially RV stuff! Since I have found the source of the leak and opened things up, there is no reason for me to take out one of these vents. Hopefully there will never be a reason, but I'll cross that bridge when needed.
    John and Karyn
    Hillsboro, Oregon

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What was the source?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    What was the source?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

As I said in my initial post, the leak was from the skylight above the shower. When I removed the inside trim ring under the skylight, it was very obvious that there were two places under the skylight where water had been leaking in for some time. Most of the water had been collected by a groove on the roof side of the trim piece but because of the large volume of water during this particular rain event, it filled up and allowed the water to flow above the ceiling and down to the round vent where it escaped. Now that the trim piece is down, the leaky water can drip directly into the shower. Right after getting our new trailer home from the dealer, I went on the roof and inspected all of the seams and dicor patches and all looked fine. Now a year later, I can see exactly where the water came in and I will closely examine those places on the roof side when I can get up there safely.
    John and Karyn
    Hillsboro, Oregon