User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did this and found that we could last about 4 days max before having to dump the tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    Go to a FHU site, but don't connect to anything. Try going without the tv and other things like the coffee pot, etc.

See how long you can go before plugging in. KEN
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cell phone thing I'm not quite as concerned about because the places where we'd boondock may not even have cell reception. Nevertheless, the simplest solution would be to just charge up a few of those usb battery packs. I have a cheap one from Monoprice that has enough charge to charge up my iphone three times. That's pretty decent.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyLifer View Post
    I did my first boondocking camping trip a month ago in N. GA after owning the trailer for three years. It was an eye opener for sure. I had a generator that worked well, but I felt bad about running it in the early AM to make my coffee. Where I was at was QUIET. Everything else was fine. I had plenty of fresh water for the four days. I was frugal on use of the gray and black tank usage. My biggest issue was how to charge my cell phone. I didn’t think there were any USB chargers that worked off of the 12V system. I was wrong. There is one outlet on the wife’s side of the bed (I was solo on this trip). Now I know.

What I’d do differently if I decided to do a lot of boondocking: Coffee pot for the stove. Install more batteries, possibly Lithium. Maybe get an inverter. Maybe also install some solar. I’m not sure if that would be necessary for mostly weekend trips though.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    So what's the best way to get started?
    In my opinon, go set up in a field not too far from home. It will give you an idea of your current setup's good points and shortcomings. Then you will have a better idea of what you would need/buy/adapt.
    Then if you are still of a 'boondocking' mindset start looking into BLM etc.
    I live in Canada and have several repeat boondocking places I like to go. A couple years ago I went to one Lake trout spot I like and found a family from Chicago! I found it amazing a family from Chicago found this spot several miles down a logging road with no road signs etc about 2000 miles from home.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We plan on doing this in my driveway where the trailer is kept lol.

BTW one of the reasons we want to try this is because we spend at least 1 month of every summer in British Columbia. There's so much to see out there! So beautiful. Plus my wife is Canadian so she really appreciates the time she gets to spend "home".

Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    In my opinon, go set up in a field not too far from home. It will give you an idea of your current setup's good points and shortcomings. Then you will have a better idea of what you would need/buy/adapt.
    Then if you are still of a 'boondocking' mindset start looking into BLM etc.
    I live in Canada and have several repeat boondocking places I like to go. A couple years ago I went to one Lake trout spot I like and found a family from Chicago! I found it amazing a family from Chicago found this spot several miles down a logging road with no road signs etc about 2000 miles from home.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I hope the covid crap gets taken care of and we can both go visit the country we don't live in for a vacation.
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I hope the covid crap gets taken care of and we can both go visit the country we don't live in for a vacation.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously. My in-laws live in Vancouver and the kids really miss their grandparents! We also miss the great food in that city.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember going to a great Japanese restaurant in Vancouver years ago....
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am curious if you have been camping in commercial/privately owned campgrounds or state and federal campgrounds? We have a hobby farm in the country so we are used to having our private space. When traveling for kid's sports we are willing to stay at the commercial campgrounds for convenience purposes, but never do so for recreation. For recreation we strictly go to state and federal campgrounds. I'm not sure how it compares to out west, but here in the upper Midwest the federal and state campgrounds have reasonably secluded sites, and most are on or near lakes and rivers. They don't have sewer hookups, but many sites have power.
    Timmer
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS
    2015 Ford F350, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://davidodonnel.com/rv-park-locator/ A good place to start researching Campgrounds... I find the National Parks campgrounds a bit tight,with lots of rules, the National forest less so.... When exploring a new area we always checkout nearby campgrounds for future trips.... Army Corp of Engineers campgrounds that we have visited were spread out nicely.... On the road Community Campgrounds are a good overnight option, Although there are lots of dispersed camping options out, west we like having a campground host to keep an eye on things.. Most are quite pleasant to deal with... and if necessary can contact a Ranger in an emergency.....
    2019 230RL Reflection ..... 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins still pulling just as hard as the day I brought her home November 1995...3.6 Onan. 2 battleborns 300 watts solar, 1500 watt aims inverter....(Convictions are a far greater foe of truth than lies) {Nietztche}

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast