User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do I get started with boondocking?

Looking at all the photos in the boondocking thread, I have boondocking envy! I'm getting tired of commercial campgrounds and their bland crowded setups. I'd like to find a place where we have some peace and quiet, nice scenery, and maybe take the kids fishing. I live in Northern California in the Sierra Foothills so there's got to be tons of places not too far away. I've looked on Campendium, but it seems many of the places listed are either 1) too difficult for a dually and fifth wheel to get to or 2) too small to park a 34' fiver. Certainly we do not fit in most national and state parks (not that you can even get a reservation these days).

I know I'll need a generator. I'll probably pick up a 3000+ watt genset. That's not a problem. For water, my truck has plenty of payload capacity, so I could easily carry a couple of 50 gallon water barrels to supplement what we already have. Food is not a problem with our big fridge, and I can certainly buy one of those new portable units with a battery pack that will last several days. Dumping gray water will be a bigger issue. With 3 kids, we usually need to dump our tanks every other day. If we conserve, I could see us going 3 days, maybe 4 max.

I might even be able to talk the wife into a solar setup for the trailer, but that's a bigger expense. The other issue is suspension. These fifth wheels have terrible suspensions. With the Sailuns the ride is even stiffer. Do I need to install the full MorRyde independent suspension so I don't damage the trailer? Another fear is articulation. Travel trailers seem to offer a big advantage off-road as they can articulate far more than a typical fifth wheel can.

I've seen a couple of books on boondocking the Eastern Sierras like this one: https://www.frugal-rv-travel.com/Cal...ondocking.html

I've been on the Escapees Boondocking forum, Expeditionportal, and others. And I'm still unsure how to get started and find the sites where you folks get those great scenic pics! So what's the best way to get started?
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We spent two years boondocking at Imperial Valley north of Yuma. There is a large community there. It is past the Army proving grounds. There is water, trash and a dump site. Cost was $180/year. We had solar and a wind generator to keep the 4 12v batteries up. I used a 40 gal bladder with a 12v pump to haul in fresh water and a 40 gal blue boy on large wheels to haul off waste water. It is a lot of work. We (me) got too old so now we stay at full hook-ups.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    National Forest Camping is a good option...https://www.fs.fed.us/ivm/... Lots of good info on this forum on Battery upgrades & Solar... I am among those who consider running a Genset, all day long RUDE....Charge the batteries, make a meal, turn it off... I found the west side of the Sierras full of young people living in the moment with no consideration for other campers... Weekends were just one big party and the Rangers didn't care... Nevada side was perfect for us... For freshwater we have a 22 gallon tank in front of the hitch and a cheap 12 volt water pump to refill the trailer.... Grey water, use environmentally friendly soap and dose the campfire....( most likely not legal in Ca. )
    2019 230RL Reflection ..... 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins still pulling just as hard as the day I brought her home November 1995...3.6 Onan. 2 battleborns 300 watts solar, 1500 watt aims inverter....(Convictions are a far greater foe of truth than lies) {Nietztche}

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at the BLM website...Bureau of Land Management...... Not the other BLM.
    No reservations needed.
    If your only going for a weekend, you should be fine on tank capacity.
    If going for a longer period... Limit showers, the boys can go find a bush to pee at. Saving the grey & black tanks from filling up.
    Extra gas for the generator. Especially if you're going to run the ac.
    Extra propane bottle if camping in cold weather for the furnace.
    People keep telling me to follow my dreams...so I went back to bed

2019 303rls
    2017 GMC 2500hd ccsb 2wd 6.0 gas
    Andersen ultimate rail mount hitch

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Besides what's recommended above, maybe consider just an overnight trip to see if you like it before investing any $$$. I'm willing to bet you could rent a generator from Home Depot for a day which would also help before buying one. We are a family of 6 and are able to dry camp without issue. There is a lake we frequent pretty often that has electric and water only, and we typically stay 3 or 4 days and our tanks aren't full at that point. Another option to practice water management is to do it at a full hookup camp site and pretend you arent hooked up to sewer, if it doesnt work out, you can just dump the tanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to a FHU site, but don't connect to anything. Try going without the tv and other things like the coffee pot, etc.

See how long you can go before plugging in. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did my first boondocking camping trip a month ago in N. GA after owning the trailer for three years. It was an eye opener for sure. I had a generator that worked well, but I felt bad about running it in the early AM to make my coffee. Where I was at was QUIET. Everything else was fine. I had plenty of fresh water for the four days. I was frugal on use of the gray and black tank usage. My biggest issue was how to charge my cell phone. I didn’t think there were any USB chargers that worked off of the 12V system. I was wrong. There is one outlet on the wife’s side of the bed (I was solo on this trip). Now I know.

What I’d do differently if I decided to do a lot of boondocking: Coffee pot for the stove. Install more batteries, possibly Lithium. Maybe get an inverter. Maybe also install some solar. I’m not sure if that would be necessary for mostly weekend trips though.
    Eric & Sandra
    2018 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK
    2000 Ford Excursion 7.3 Diesel 4x4

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I tend to agree with you. No one wants to listen to a genset all day long. It seems like some sort of lithium battery (or at least AGM) setup is going to be necessary. A few solar panels would also help to maintain the charge. I really want to explore the Eastern Sierras! You are 100% right about folks just not caring about how much noise they make or the trash they leave behind. Sad situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
    National Forest Camping is a good option...https://www.fs.fed.us/ivm/... Lots of good info on this forum on Battery upgrades & Solar... I am among those who consider running a Genset, all day long RUDE....Charge the batteries, make a meal, turn it off... I found the west side of the Sierras full of young people living in the moment with no consideration for other campers... Weekends were just one big party and the Rangers didn't care... Nevada side was perfect for us... For freshwater we have a 22 gallon tank in front of the hitch and a cheap 12 volt water pump to refill the trailer.... Grey water, use environmentally friendly soap and dose the campfire....( most likely not legal in Ca. )

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I've discovered the world of BLM maps. I'm going to take the 4x4 suv out to some of these areas and scout them out. Truckee is only 1.25 hrs from my front door.

LOL I already told my wife the kids are gonna have to go pee outside. They're fine with that. But my wife had this horrified look on her face ha ha. She would prefer we camp in a Class A diesel pusher. Better yet, she'd rather just check into the nearest Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons. Sorry Homey don't play that.

Quote Originally Posted by avf100 View Post
    Look at the BLM website...Bureau of Land Management...... Not the other BLM.
    No reservations needed.
    If your only going for a weekend, you should be fine on tank capacity.
    If going for a longer period... Limit showers, the boys can go find a bush to pee at. Saving the grey & black tanks from filling up.
    Extra gas for the generator. Especially if you're going to run the ac.
    Extra propane bottle if camping in cold weather for the furnace.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea! I'm not as concerned about how much water our tanks hold compared to how much our grey and black tanks hold. I could easily fill a couple of 50 gal barrels and strap those to the the bed of the truck. It's how to dispose of the grey water that's the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Besides what's recommended above, maybe consider just an overnight trip to see if you like it before investing any $$$. I'm willing to bet you could rent a generator from Home Depot for a day which would also help before buying one. We are a family of 6 and are able to dry camp without issue. There is a lake we frequent pretty often that has electric and water only, and we typically stay 3 or 4 days and our tanks aren't full at that point. Another option to practice water management is to do it at a full hookup camp site and pretend you arent hooked up to sewer, if it doesnt work out, you can just dump the tanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast