User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey there! Just ordered 2021 XLS 17MKE Now looking for a truck...

I like the Tundras. My wife likes the Silverados. what do you folks think? Cheers!:

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pulling a 2020 21bhe with my Chevy Colorado with the 3.6L V6 and factory towing package. It pulls fine and its a little bit heavier and bigger than the 17mke. If you're planning to pull in the mtns out west a lot then I'd opt for the full size, but otherwise the colorado works great and I've gotten as high as 29.8mpg highway. Normal highway mpg is closer to 25 and drops to between 10 and 11 when towing the 21bhe.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're pulling a 22mle with an f150 2.7L EB with no issues. We're close to our max payload but no issues towing.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go with facts rather than opinions. Get all the pertinent numbers and plug them in here:

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Thanks! looking now.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Go with facts rather than opinions. Get all the pertinent numbers and plug them in here:

Rob
    hey thanks for the lead. Looking now!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post

Rob
    Agreed on doing the math. However, all the full sizers will pull that trailer. Absolutely love the setup in my sig with a blue ox hitch. Stable, plenty of power, comfortable ride. Even the wife finds it easy to pull, and while I prefer to backup the trailer myself, the fact that the truck can do it for us, especially for her, is a nice bonus. We average 19mpg around town and on the last trip 11mpg pulling the trailer from Florida to Asheville and back, if that matters to you. I don’t know how it does on the highway unloaded because it seems we always have the trailer! With a 36gal tank, that’s a lot of range - I rarely have to even get gas while still hooked up. Considering the zoo gas stations can be sometimes, this is a major positive.

I STRONGLY recommend at a minimum test driving everything you are interested in. Take her along. If you can, rent and really spend some time with them. I don’t like the tundra mainly because I think it’s past due for some updates, and daily fuel mileage matters to me - I get higher mpg in the city than that truck on the hwy. But that’s only my opinion, it’s a fine truck and if it is what you like, go for it and enjoy it.

The Colorado is a great truck. Owned one and towed with it. I like the bigger truck better with this trailer, but again that’s my opinion.

I bought my truck one year ago and did a fairly thorough search. Spent a few hundred miles in a rented 2020 Chevy. That truck left a positive impression on me - didn’t quite sway me from the Ford, but it drove well. I wasn’t a fan of the pre-2020 GMC/Chevy 1500 though. I didn’t end up spending any significant time in a Ram - the last gen Rams didn’t have enough payload for me and weren’t as safe. The new ones I hear good things about but have not driven. Drove a diesel Colorado and liked it (I had a gas), but it wasn’t a significant capability upgrade over what I already had, and we were looking for an upgrade. In the end, very happy with my choice and would make it again. But another person with different tastes/priorities could easily post the exact opposite of what I just posted and we would still both be right.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    Agreed on doing the math. However, all the full sizers will pull that trailer. Absolutely love the setup in my sig with a blue ox hitch. Stable, plenty of power, comfortable ride. Even the wife finds it easy to pull, and while I prefer to backup the trailer myself, the fact that the truck can do it for us, especially for her, is a nice bonus. We average 19mpg around town and on the last trip 11mpg pulling the trailer from Florida to Asheville and back, if that matters to you. I don’t know how it does on the highway unloaded because it seems we always have the trailer! With a 36gal tank, that’s a lot of range - I rarely have to even get gas while still hooked up. Considering the zoo gas stations can be sometimes, this is a major positive.

I STRONGLY recommend at a minimum test driving everything you are interested in. Take her along. If you can, rent and really spend some time with them. I don’t like the tundra mainly because I think it’s past due for some updates, and daily fuel mileage matters to me - I get higher mpg in the city than that truck on the hwy. But that’s only my opinion, it’s a fine truck and if it is what you like, go for it and enjoy it.

The Colorado is a great truck. Owned one and towed with it. I like the bigger truck better with this trailer, but again that’s my opinion.

I bought my truck one year ago and did a fairly thorough search. Spent a few hundred miles in a rented 2020 Chevy. That truck left a positive impression on me - didn’t quite sway me from the Ford, but it drove well. I wasn’t a fan of the pre-2020 GMC/Chevy 1500 though. I didn’t end up spending any significant time in a Ram - the last gen Rams didn’t have enough payload for me and weren’t as safe. The new ones I hear good things about but have not driven. Drove a diesel Colorado and liked it (I had a gas), but it wasn’t a significant capability upgrade over what I already had, and we were looking for an upgrade. In the end, very happy with my choice and would make it again. But another person with different tastes/priorities could easily post the exact opposite of what I just posted and we would still both be right.
    I agree. For me the 36 gallon tank is nice. Daily fuel mpg is about 17. Half tons will pull 5k trailers pretty easy. I also like the aluminum body for rust problems down the road. I drive alot for work and at 225k Miles on my 2015 f150 5.0, I have only done brakes. Granted most.of the.miles are interstate, so no real wear like city driving. I have the 3.73 gear as well.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjduke View Post
    I like the Tundras. My wife likes the Silverados. what do you folks think? Cheers!:
    I have been trailering for years and have always had gas engines. With retirement rapidly approaching and the thought of purchasing a fifth wheel for extended stay and cross country travel I did extensive research on diesels and transmissions! I ended up purchasing a GMC 3500HD with the 6.6L turbo diesel with the Allison 10 speed transmission. We towed our 30ft travel trailer on several long trips before purchasing a new fifth wheel and the truck didn’t even break a sweat!! What’s more as an added bonus we got better fuel economy than we ever got with a gas engine. Someone mentioned Diesel engines require more maintenance and I would have to say that they don’t require any more than a gas engine. They do however have a few more filters and require more oil but beyond that for towing it is the only way to go. I think if you look at a lot of the people who post on this forum I would havre to say more tow with diesel than gas. Good luck in finding the right tow vehicle for your needs.

Annie n Leo
    2020 GMC 3500HD 6.6L Duramax 4x4SRW
    UPSTATE NY