User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve & Sheryl View Post
    I'm a meticulous planner and I almost never make reservations until the day of. I hate to schedule days and times. But what I do do is preplan.
    Before the trip I lay out waypoints about every hundred miles, then I find three potential sites near each waypoint. I try for one free (Walmart, rest stop, BLM, etc.) one park (national, state, or BLM) and one private (RV park). We keep a printed trip sheet with the waypoints and the names and phone numbers (if available) of the sites. Dailey drives are 1, 2, 3, and occasionally 4 waypoints, depending on what's happening at the time. If we intend to stay at a park or RV Park, we call after lunch for a reservation. There have been times I've been hoping for a nice long hot shower and we ended up in a Walmart lot, but I've never not had a place to stop.

I've started calling the Walmarts as part of the pre-planning, just to confirm they allow RVs. More and more don't.

I use freecampsites.net, recreation.gov, and Allstays.com. I also find state park websites.

Imagine XLS 17MKE and Transcend Xplore 200MK are good choices for freestyle traveling. Shorter is easier and you want to be able to use the trailer with out extending the slide. Its considered bad etiquette at Walmarts and rest stops.

Last bit. It is harder to get spots in State/National parks on weekends. We try to be on the road (free) Friday and Saturday nights and in parks Sunday through Friday morning. Less people in the parks too.
    Wow, super information. I'm a planner also. Non planning is OK IF you are truly prepared to sleep in some "not so nice" spots and situations some nights or not sleep at all. Benny
    RV: 2020 Solitude 310GK - FB Paint, 300W Solar, Onan 5500 Gen, DP Windows, Samsung R-Frig, Splendide Stacked W/D.
    Tow Vehicle: 2020 3500 Silverado, DRW, HC Pkg., D-Max 6.6L Diesel, 10 Spd. Allison Trans.
    Hitch: Andersen 3220 Ult 2 With Safety Chain Package.
    Satellite: Winegard Pathway X2/Wally Rec. RV Tow Camera Rear: Furrion Sharkfin 7" Monitor.
    Autoformer/Surge Protect: Hughes 50 AMP

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks for all of the comments/suggestions.

I am retired. Meaning that I don't HAVE to be anywhere at any time.

For now, I will try to "wing it" and hope for the best.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have camped all around Northern California, summer 2020 was challenging to find spots to camp. Even some of the less popular spots were hard to get into. With COViD many campgrounds required that you register prior to arrival, either by calling or online, some wanted at least a day in advance. Looking for camping spots in 2021 I am seeing less of that but it may change as we get closer to summer. Have fun camping!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Texsinbad View Post
    In the process of buying a GD (either Imagine XLS 17MKE or Transcend Xplore 200MK)--yes, we know that it is the worse time to buy, but don't want to wait 6 months to a year when it will probably be better.

Anyway, with campgrounds being full or fuller, how can we travel without making a schedule of when/where with reservations? We would like to pick a direction and stop when/where we want to for as long or as short as we want. Are those days gone too?

Any suggestions/comments welcome.

Thanks
    I have read all the suggestions/recommendations and agree with all. The one thing I will add is this. RVing will be increasing congested for all of us due to the number of new RVers coming onboard. That coupled with fact their aren't that many new rv parks or campgrounds being developed. It won't matter if your preplanning every nights/weeks stay or just winging it, RV sites will be in higher demand than they ever have before especially during peak vacation time frames. Someone mentioned planning 4 months in advance which is OK is your flexible on location. Were heading to Glacier National Park in July for a week. We obtained a site at West Glacier RV. The KOA there was already full and our reservations were made 8 months in advance. Safe travels and stay safe!!
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Texsinbad View Post
    In the process of buying a GD (either Imagine XLS 17MKE or Transcend Xplore 200MK)--yes, we know that it is the worse time to buy, but don't want to wait 6 months to a year when it will probably be better.

Anyway, with campgrounds being full or fuller, how can we travel without making a schedule of when/where with reservations? We would like to pick a direction and stop when/where we want to for as long or as short as we want. Are those days gone too?

Any suggestions/comments welcome.

Thanks
    The key is to not stay at campgrounds.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have recently tried to get into federal parks, National Parks/Forests, COE. Some of those have been impossible for us to get into until March or April of next year. I just gave up.

Recently found a KOA in Central Calif that was only about 5% occupied. Just drove in without a reservation there. We are currently at Perris Lake State Campground and while they were 80% over the weekend, they are 1% during the week right now. But the dry camping loops have been almost deserted for the last week.

In planning my winter I found that rv parks that we went to 15-20 years ago are either gone completely, or have been converted to timeshares or mobile home communities. It's annoying when I click on a park in the RVLife trip planner only to find that the place is gone or isn't an rv park any more. I have a Thousand Trails membership and can tell you that while the ones that I've been to or have looked up to make a reservation have always had space for retail customers, surprisingly have nothing available for 'members.'

But I could not say that I would have wanted the stress of going someplace without a reservation. I'm planned out for the next 4 weeks and am starting my planning for the next 4. There was a time 20 years ago when I could drive into the Grand Canyon on a Sunday and find a spot without a reservation. But those days are over.
    2023 Reflection 150, Model 280RS
    Tow Vehicle - 2022 Ram 2500

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About all of my travel is west of the Rocky Mountains. If I'm willing to dry camp or just have electricity, I haven't had much trouble finding spots for overnighting.

I know I'll get flamed, but I'll stay in Wal-Marts, rest areas, or semi-uncrowded truck stops if it needed. Also, I'm very familiar with BLM and USFS dispersed camping regulations. It's usually easy to find spots there.

Finally, any spot I find that's worthwhile I'll try to do a writeup on https://campgrounds.rvlife.com/
    signature

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post
    About all of my travel is west of the Rocky Mountains. If I'm willing to dry camp or just have electricity, I haven't had much trouble finding spots for overnighting.

I know I'll get flamed, but I'll stay in Wal-Marts, rest areas, or semi-uncrowded truck stops if it needed. Also, I'm very familiar with BLM and USFS dispersed camping regulations. It's usually easy to find spots there.

Finally, any spot I find that's worthwhile I'll try to do a writeup on https://campgrounds.rvlife.com/
    I don't see why you would get flamed. With the crazy cost of campgrounds these days, I also look for the most cost effective way to camp.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMike View Post
    I don't see why you would get flamed.
    Some people think you shouldn't be parking overnight at truck stops.
    IMNSHO, if I buy a tank of diesel and some DEF, maybe get something to eat, I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to park in the lot - especially if I'm on a work trip with my RV.
    signature

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post
    Some people think you shouldn't be parking overnight at truck stops.
    I also agree with that, as truckers by law have to rest after so many active hours, but many truck stops have RV specific spaces.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast