User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question In theory, Can a 29g/31g fit a 5500 generator?

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a 29g/31g but I am worried about running both A/C on the generator, most my camping will be boondocking. I was wondering If, in the future, I could even fit a 5500 in the compartment? I know there are other electrical upgrades you will need, but I am curious if this is even a possibility.

Size and weight;
    4000 is 173 lbs, 30 x 19.7 x 14.4
    5000 is 279 lbs, 33.6 x 22.2 x 16.7

From the videos I've looked at, the height and depth look okay, but I can't find a video that shows any extra width of the generator compartment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we were shopping for our camper we looked to see if a 5500 would fit in a 29g, unfortunately it didn't. We measured a 5.5k Onan on the lot off of a fifth wheeler and noticed that the height of it would hit the top of the storage space for the generator. Also your bed is right over that storage space so it would cause a hell of a noise when you're trying to sleep. The hole itself for the storage is not big enough either to slide it in.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is disappointing...Thanks for the info though!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 31G and I can run a single AC off 15 amp house 110 outlet. We ordered our trailer with two ACs but there was a mess up between the dealer and Grand Design and it was shipped without the bedroom AC. Grand Design is shipping us the second AC soon and the dealer will install it. I would assume the 4K onan will run both without issue. On high fan AC, it was pulling around 9-10 amps. Once we get the second AC I’ll be testing both on generator only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zyxwvu44 View Post
    Hello,

I'm looking to buy a 29g/31g but I am worried about running both A/C on the generator, most my camping will be boondocking. I was wondering If, in the future, I could even fit a 5500 in the compartment? I know there are other electrical upgrades you will need, but I am curious if this is even a possibility.

Size and weight;
    4000 is 173 lbs, 30 x 19.7 x 14.4
    5000 is 279 lbs, 33.6 x 22.2 x 16.7

From the videos I've looked at, the height and depth look okay, but I can't find a video that shows any extra width of the generator compartment.
    We have the 29G came with the optional 4kw gas generator. I did some testing since others were asking. I ran the generator here at the house, turned both AC's on high cool, turned on every light and the fridge on AC only. At that point I was drawing about 22-23 amps. The control panel has built in shed control. So say you have both AC's running and you start the microwave and the amps go up, the control panel will "shed" the front AC. After the draw goes down, a couple minutes later the front AC will kick back on.
    Neil and Joyce Anderson
    2021 Grand Design Momentum 29G
    2010 F350SD Dually / 2019 Harley Ultra Limited (Mine) / 2016 Harley Street Glide (Wife's)
    Might get to retire someday if we ever stop spending money!!