Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to improve your AC performance

The recent weather in Florida has caused us to use our AC more than in the past quite a while. It didn't seem to have the performance it did last summer in Canada. So, I'm thinking, maybe the humidity ? or maybe I need to add this to the warranty service list ?

Then, KICKNBACK asked for dimensions on the 303 AC filter . . . oh yeah . . . these things have filters. So I took out the filter to measure it . . . (and I am kind of embarrassed to admit this) I was amazed at how plugged it was . . . washed it thoroughly . . . AC works much better now .

So, if your AC performance seems to be lacking, there could be an easy fix for this !

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tip Rob. Most of us Floridians know that we have to clean the filter regularly. But it's amazing how the simple stuff can befuddle us sometimes, keeps us humble I guess.
    Scott and Jan Platt Ocala, FL
    Cameron(Son) & Chica(chihuahua)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4X4, Crew Cab, Dually, Diesel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear ya Rob. I had to change out the filter on my house A/C unit this winter because there have been a few days we had to use the A/C over this WINTER.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While in 105 temps in Albuquerque, I was desperate to get the fiver cooler. While cleaning the filter for the first time in 2 years I discovered a vent in the AC itself that opened directly into the living room. Life was better after that and we closed that vent as bed time approached to push more air to the BR.
    2015 Ford F350 SRW CrewCab SB 6.7 PSD, Andersen Ultimate fifth wheel hitch
    2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS, Mor/Ryde pin box, 300w of solar
    1/77 Armor Bn, 5th Mech, I Corps, RVN

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always good to hear the reminders.
    Brent & Gina
    2018 Ford F250 PSD Crew Cab
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AC filter maintenance . . .
    This is 5 days in a high pollen Florida State Park !
    It even caught a few Mosquitos for us .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	1606

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

sentinel
    This conversation about AC's raises another question. I'm curious to hear from other owners, especially in the south, whether they went with one AC, or opted for the second AC. Is two necessary if you're going to be doing most of your camping down south?

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sentinel - We purchased our 337 in March of last year, but at that time we bought it with one AC. We took off on a long trip in the summer, and wound up in New Orleans and Houston in August! Yikes! During the day, we shut off all the vents in the bedroom and bathroom, and were just barely able to tolerate the temperature and humidity in the living room. During the heat of the day, the temperature in the living room was around 82-85 with the one AC running full blast. We bought a fan at Walmart to help. At night, we open the vents in the bedroom and we'd be able to sleep okay. When we got home, we had the second AC installed. Now instead of taking hours for our coach to cool down when we set up camp, it takes about 30 minutes to pull the temperature down to a comfortable level. The only drawback to a front AC is the height. We had the low profile AC installed, so we run down the road at 12',10" now.

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
    This conversation about AC's raises another question. I'm curious to hear from other owners, especially in the south, whether they went with one AC, or opted for the second AC. Is two necessary if you're going to be doing most of your camping down south?
    2d AC a must for us. We haven't taken possession of our 303 yet, but in our Cameo, we had two ACs and in 95F+, one AC wasn't nearly enough. Extremely hot in the RV. Also, there was no shade from trees. It was a 30A spot at our favorite local campground. Couldn't get 50A. Next year, at 50A site with partial shade and two ACs running, we still couldn't cook inside during the day or go in and out often without the coach warming up. 98F+ temps that time. In our Cameo, the BR AC wasn't ducted however and we have high humidity in central Arkansas. Savannah, Georgia was similar two years ago in August. In NH, once, we hit mid-90s with shade and I don't remember that one being uncomfortable.
    Brent & Gina
    2018 Ford F250 PSD Crew Cab
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

We bought our 337 in January 2014 and got a lot of feedback from our friends about getting a 2nd AC. We took their advice and we a VERY glad we did as we live in humid Texas. But, if I were to do it again, I would make sure to get the low profile AC over the bedroom. We did not and our rig is very high with a standard dimension Atwood AC in front. At 13.5 ft, I cringe going under bridges as I hope whoever was doin' the measuerin' of the bridges that day was not in a foul mood and just guessed. Just fyi, Atwood does not make a low profile AC. You have to go with another brand.
    Dean and Cindy
    2014 337 RLS
    Firestone Ride - Rite Airbags
    Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast