User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What’s the Purpose of the Low Point Drains?

If you properly winterize your RV, either using antifreeze or blowing lines clear, what function do the low point drains serve? Seems like a useless addition of plumbing that need to be drained.

I’ve owned several wood, brick, and mortar homes including summer vacation homes. Both vacation homes had low point drains that effectively drained water from the plumbing system by simply opening the drains and the faucets and the water syphoned away. Also had to drain the hot water heater or leave the heat on (low temp).

What am I missing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say there is no point. If you look at where the low point drains tap into the plumbing, they arent even at the lowest point in the system. Sure, it looks like it based on the section of pipe coming out of the bottom,but on mine the valves are in the water hookup cabinet, not even close to the lowest point. When I ripped out my Nautilus system, i didnt even bother putting low point drains back in, I've winterized and sanitized the system without issue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They must serve a purpose otherwise they would not be put in trailers. Believe me when I say that manufacturers are not going to put in anything extra they don't need to. Hurts the bottom line and shareholders [emoji2957].

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I can say is on our coach when I drain the water heater for anode inspection / cleaning or winterization, I open the high pressure relief valve on the water heater and the low point drains by the nautilus panel and the water heater completely drains. So at least the low point drains are lower than the water heater. This is with the nautilus panel levers set for city water camping. Once the water heater completely drains out I set the panel levers for winterization. Now I know the low point drains will not completely drain all the water out of the system, some water will get trapped throughout the system. You have to blow the rest out or pump it out with the antifreeze. Still glad the low point drains are there/
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post

. . . Now I know the low point drains will not completely drain all the water out of the system, some water will get trapped throughout the system. You have to blow the rest out or pump it out with the antifreeze. . . .
    Not trying to be argumentative, but if the low point drains don’t drain all the system and you STILL have to blow the rest out or pump it out with antifreeze, the low point drains don’t seem to serve any purpose. Seems the results without the low point drains is the same; either blow it or antifreeze it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was surprised with the amount of water I got from my cold side low point drain during winteriztion. Got a pretty steady stream of water for over 8 minutes. My guess is well over 5 gals. Got almost nothing from the hot side low point drain.

When I went to drain the hot water heater, it was already empty. So apparently the low point drain on our RV also drains the hot water heater.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use them for reliving pressure in the system when switching water source, beats going inside to open a faucet.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gronk1 View Post
    I use them for reliving pressure in the system when switching water source, beats going inside to open a faucet.
    Do you have to relieve the pressure to switch from the fresh water tank to city water or visa versa?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    ... If you look at where the low point drains tap into the plumbing, they arent even at the lowest point in the system. ...
    Mine attach to plumbing lines just above the basement floor, but then they loop up above the floor about a foot and a half before being routed out the bottom of the floor. I tried to get GD to re-route them under warranty, but they denied my claim. Said they were OK they way they were. I don't think the lines serve any low-point drain purpose either.

-Steve
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewwi View Post
    Do you have to relieve the pressure to switch from the fresh water tank to city water or visa versa?

It is good practice to do so. That relieves the pressure on the marshaling valves on the panel when switching. It has been reported that the small O rings on the three-way valves have come dislodged when switching under pressure.
    If you have a spray hose at the panel you could just open the cold water valve to blow off through the hose.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast