User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roof repair advice

We had a bit of a windstorm here, over the weekend, and sustained damage to the roof of our 303. An 8-foot long hardwood branch broke off a tree above, and drove a 1-1/2” limb through the roof and ceiling. There is about a 1–1/2” hole in the roof and about a 6-8” tear in the ceiling, where the heaviest part of the branch swung out to the side and broke off. We had about an 18” limb sticking all the way through. It came to a stop about an inch above the slide, so no damage to that at all. It also appears to have swung clear of the rest of the roof, walls and windows, as it continued it descent to the ground.

I’ve spoke to the GD service center, and Matt said that the roof membrane will probably need to be replaced, along with the substrate that is under it. While they have that apart, they can repair any damage to the ducting and replace the interior ceiling panel. Now for my question...

The insurance company does not have anyone in the area that they can recommend for the repairs. They mentioned Camping World but, before he could even complete the sentence, I said that Camping World would never, ever, touch my trailer. He said that’s okay, they were really too far away, anyway.

Matt, at GD, suggested Camper’s Inn in Elwood City, PA as well as Meyers RV in Apollo, PA and Ansley in Duncansville. Has anyone ever used the service departments at any of these facilities? If so, what was your experience? I think this needs to be done by an above average repair shop, as it’s more than just adjusting a refrigerator or fixing a furnace or water heater. We plan to have this trailer for years, so I want a first-class repair, not something to just get it in and out of a shop.

Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated.

​​​​​​Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26471FBA-9478-4540-903F-A59395789F22.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	30721

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6BCF0A9E-A93F-415B-9222-2187050634AB.jpeg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	30722

Name:	315D438C-8262-405A-9BDD-BCD1E6A92F33.jpeg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	30724

​Thanks, in advance,
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meyer's - forget it! PM me if you want the details.

Given where you're at, why not make an appointment with the Factory Service Center? It's not local, but they know the construction best and have appropriate materials on hand.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggested that, but he said that they are booked solid for the next four months. If I can’t find anyone local, I may still entertain that option, but I was hoping for a quicker resolution.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richter View Post
    I suggested that, but he said that they are booked solid for the next four months. If I can’t find anyone local, I may still entertain that option, but I was hoping for a quicker resolution.
    Not to be the pessimist, but I doubt it would go any faster. No external shop will order parts till they bring it in and actually tear into it - they'll pull the ceiling panel to check ducts and wiring and leave the roof intact unlike what was stated by whomever you spoke with. Expect parts, at a minimum the ceiling panel and membrane material to take a month at a minimum but probably more. If there's damage to a trust then it gets longer and a bigger project. Proper roof replacement by book time is 40 hours. FYI - roof decking is not pulled unless absolutely necessary. Instead, the membrane is sectioned and removed, the adhesive residue sanded away, and a veneer plywood placed over the entire roof. New membrane is then adhered.

Having been to the FSC, I'd strongly recommend that, and while waiting a bit of Eternabond tape and lap sealant to seal things up.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too bad you aren't near Chattanooga, TN. RV Roof Install does a really nice roof. You can check them out on YouTube. I stopped in there 2 weeks ago just because I was in the area. they are pretty booked too, but they sure do give the roof a good going over and don't leave much to chance it seems.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why not add a skylight? You already have a pilot hole. The best on finding a good repair shop.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richter View Post
    We had a bit of a windstorm here, over the weekend, and sustained damage to the roof of our 303. An 8-foot long hardwood branch broke off a tree above, and drove a 1-1/2” limb through the roof and ceiling. There is about a 1–1/2” hole in the roof and about a 6-8” tear in the ceiling, where the heaviest part of the branch swung out to the side and broke off. We had about an 18” limb sticking all the way through. It came to a stop about an inch above the slide, so no damage to that at all. It also appears to have swung clear of the rest of the roof, walls and windows, as it continued it descent to the ground.

I’ve spoke to the GD service center, and Matt said that the roof membrane will probably need to be replaced, along with the substrate that is under it. While they have that apart, they can repair any damage to the ducting and replace the interior ceiling panel. Now for my question...

The insurance company does not have anyone in the area that they can recommend for the repairs. They mentioned Camping World but, before he could even complete the sentence, I said that Camping World would never, ever, touch my trailer. He said that’s okay, they were really too far away, anyway.

Matt, at GD, suggested Camper’s Inn in Elwood City, PA as well as Meyers RV in Apollo, PA and Ansley in Duncansville. Has anyone ever used the service departments at any of these facilities? If so, what was your experience? I think this needs to be done by an above average repair shop, as it’s more than just adjusting a refrigerator or fixing a furnace or water heater. We plan to have this trailer for years, so I want a first-class repair, not something to just get it in and out of a shop.

Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated.

​​​​​​Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26471FBA-9478-4540-903F-A59395789F22.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	30721

Name:	6BCF0A9E-A93F-415B-9222-2187050634AB.jpeg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	30722

Name:	315D438C-8262-405A-9BDD-BCD1E6A92F33.jpeg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	30724

​Thanks, in advance,
    Although I never had Service done at Ansley, they have always been very responsive for us.
    Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL (White)
    Curt A16 Hitch, Turning Point Swivel Pin Box, set to Swivel, with Curt Wedge
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ansley was one of the few that actually answered the phone. Several others went straight to voicemail and no call back since yesterday. The response from Ansley was, “Sorry, love to be able to help you, but we’re booked up until late spring“. I’m hoping for something a little sooner.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realize both of these places are closer to me than you but I thought I would share my research as I'm facing a similar predicament. Or take what Geotex1 says about having the factory repair it.
    Geotex1 suggested Hanover Truck & RV repair in a post I made. I did some homework and they do seem to be a quality and efficient shop , as can be these days. https://www.hanovertruckrv.com/
    I also found Miller's Service Center to have both a good background and feedback for work done. In fact I'm taking my 260RD there today for an estimate on body damage caused by a blowout. https://www.millers-rv.com/
    For the most part I have found dealers really are not interested in taking work in these days, more so than previously. In my case I called two local GD dealers(as can be local) and was sent to voicemail with no subsequent response. Another non-GD dealer just flat told me to come back mid-December. All of them I hold their work suspect on more complicated repairs as it is anyway.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 11-20-2020 at 04:27 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given where you're at, why not make an appointment with the Factory Service Center?
    This is what I’d do for sure.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast