User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys for all the input. Not really giving me a warm feeling with the slides. I now understand I need to keep close eye on the gap. I would not think in 5 years of use I would have this problem .Especially when I only use the trailer about three or four trips per year and really not that many miles. I would think the RV shops would be backed up with rv's needing slide adjustments. Second Chance says he has had seven slides and has not had to have any adjusted. What is the difference, are some built better ? Like I mentioned I had a Wildcat that we pulled from Maryland to the west coast, Seattle, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, a little Canada and back to Maryland . Then we used the trailer for our local trips without a slide issue. Same tow vehicle and both trailers are level when towing. I don't understand what the difference is. We are retired and bought this Grand Design thinking we would have a quality trailer to enjoy , not spend all our time getting it fixed?? We have had several other issues I will not get into now. My son has an old Thor trailer and he has never had to adjust the slide. He does have just the one slide. ?? I am getting my trailer slides adjusted and seals replaced in December . I hope to have some feeling why I have this problem. Thanks again for the input !
    Last edited by duke13; 11-19-2020 at 04:24 AM.
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Titan Disc Brakes
    Hensley hitch
    2002 GMC Duramax 3:73 rear, 2 wheel drive

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by duke13 View Post
    Hi avf100, WOW I see you have the same trailer I have. This just confuses me. I do not see why you or I have this problem. you will probably have yours fixed under warranty. No that way for me. I can't imagine having this as a regular maintenance item. Like I mentioned . I had a fifth wheel and pulled it around the country without and slides needing adjustments. I am getting tired of buying what I think is quality and then having to fork out money to cover things I think should not happen. Good luck. Hope all goes well.
    Mine is out of warranty.... We've had it for 2 years now. There have been a lot of posts on this forum regarding the slide tearing the floors, and I thought that we had dodged that bullet. But on our last trip out it happened.
    Our trailer has rollers in the floor that the slide rolls on, but the slide has several 1ft long plastic pieces that are scraping on the floor. I don't know what happened to cause the tear initially, maybe a small stone got caught under there. I checked if maybe one of the screws holding the plastic piece had come loose and was sticking down, but they were good.
    People keep telling me to follow my dreams...so I went back to bed

2019 303rls
    2017 GMC 2500hd ccsb 2wd 6.0 gas
    Andersen ultimate rail mount hitch

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys for all the input. Not really giving me a warm feeling with the slides. I now understand I need to keep close eye on the gap. I would not think in 5 years of use I would have this problem .Especially when I only use the trailer about three or four trips per year and really not that many miles. I would think the RV shops would be backed up with rv's needing slide adjustments. Second Chance says he has had seven slides and has not had to have any adjusted. What is the difference, are some built better ? Like I mentioned I had a Wildcat that we pulled from Maryland to the west coast, Seattle, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, a little Canada and back to Maryland . Then we used the trailer for our local trips without a slide issue. Same tow vehicle and both trailers are level when towing. I don't understand what the difference is. We are retired and bought this Grand Design thinking we would have a quality trailer to enjoy , not spend all our time getting it fixed?? We have had several other issues I will not get into now. My son has an old Thor trailer and he has never had to adjust the slide. He does have just the one slide. ?? I am getting my trailer slides adjusted and seals replaced in December . I hope to have some feeling why I have this problem. Thanks again for the input !
    It has absolutely nothing to do with who built it or brand. They are mechanical, even when hydraulically actuated, and everything mechanical wears and needs adjustment and maintenance. Being an engineer, I'd bet a bottle of bourbon that many who say never needed it with their slides actually have needed it but just didn't realize it. Most have no idea what wear on a Schwintek sounds like (early sign) or looks like (you're in trouble), how a cable-actuated acts when the cables have stretched, etc. Caught early, all easy and inexpensive to take care of. You certainly do not need a dealer to do this but good independent technicians will come to you and do it if you're not comfortable doing so. There are way too many what-ifs that can cause two identical campers to have different experiences, just the same as identically built vehicles, equipment, etc. can have. I don't personally understand why so many have an opinion that campers are any different than a home, vehicle, lawn mower or anything else man-made. These all need maintenance, repair, and replacement parts with use.
    Last edited by geotex1; 11-19-2020 at 05:35 PM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    The normal maintenance is to inspect the gaps and monitor for changes along with cleaning and treating the seals.
    Which gap are you referring to? The gap between the outside wall of the trailer and the flange on the end of the slide, or the gap between the slide opening and the side of the slide? Kinda hard to describe what I'm trying to ask.

Also, are there any good instruction videos on aligning a Schwintek slide? I've been trying to learn everything I can about this mechanism because I feel sooner or later I'm going to have issues.

My trailer is a year old and while the Schwintek slide is working well, I've noticed some squeaks as it retracts. I just got some of the lube suggested by Lippert and plan to lube ASAP.

Thanks,
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So my Schwintek, IIRC, is making noise for several inches as I retract it. A loud and irritating noise. Is this something that can be aligned out?
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    Which gap are you referring to? The gap between the outside wall of the trailer and the flange on the end of the slide, or the gap between the slide opening and the side of the slide? Kinda hard to describe what I'm trying to ask.

Also, are there any good instruction videos on aligning a Schwintek slide? I've been trying to learn everything I can about this mechanism because I feel sooner or later I'm going to have issues.

My trailer is a year old and while the Schwintek slide is working well, I've noticed some squeaks as it retracts. I just got some of the lube suggested by Lippert and plan to lube ASAP.

Thanks,
    Gap as it pertains to slide opened and the space between the slideout box and the portal of the camper wall.

The average DIYer can only correct a Schwintek via the routine to sync the motors. If that does not cure unevenness, the gearing on one side or the other has jumped a notch or two in the rails. That's more involved to address, requires supporting the slide box and getting to the mechanisms.

One thing I'm surprised never to be listed anywhere with the Schwinteks is to make certain the slide box rollers are always clean and move freely. When one drags, it starts working against the mechanism and will cause misalignment.

Don't know that I've ever seen a video on it. I learned by reading the manuals and dealing with them.

Definitely keep the tracks clean and use the right line on occasion.
    Last edited by geotex1; 11-21-2020 at 09:15 AM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering how often slide outs need alignment? I had a fifth wheel trailer before and the slide outs never needed adjustment in the 6 years I had it? My Reflection is now 6 years old and it need alignment on both the large slide and the smaller dinette slide. Actually this year the trailer has not moved so actually we have only used it 5 years, The five years we only traveled approx. 1500 miles per year, total trips three per year. My previous trailer has been towed from Maryland to the west coast , Seattle and then Oregon and a little in northern California , then to Glacier natl. park , to Canada part of Glacier, Waterton and back to Maryland. along with the normal local trips to Myrtle Beach, and campgrounds in Pa . Never had to align either slide. My Grand Design Reflection needs alignment and it got past me and actually tore the wiper seals on the two slides I have. I thought I was doing a good job keeping them lubricated but I guess the distance from the trailer frame and the slide got too close and tor the wiper slides. Just wondering how often I will be having my slides aligned and how many Grand Design owners have had to have slides aligned and how often? Is this a normal maintenance item? Thanks for any comments.
    In the forty-plus years my wife and I have camped, the three RVs with slide-out never ever needed an alignment. As long as other side is coming in flush and out flush with the RV, nothing is needed. If you do see a variance on one side, it may be corrected by taking the slide-out about a foot and bringing it in...doing this a few times, which can correct the issue. With the Grand Design slides, it is recommended that when you take the slide out or in, once it stops still hold the slide button for three or four seconds. That should ensure you never have an alignment issue.
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More so than looking at the alignment outside I pay attention inside. Foe example: On your kitchen slide look from the front of the island look under your kitchen slide and you will see a 1/2" -3/4" thick nylon bar. While my wife moves the slide in I watch that bar. If it contacts the floor it will bubble and eventually tear the floor. If it touches the slide needs to be adjusted. There is a bar on the fireplace slide also.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes on the Schwentick! This is our 2nd camper with at least one Schwentick. The 1st one had a balky slideout. Started holding for 5 seconds and no more issues.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the schwintec slides, yes hold the button 4 to 5 seconds after it stops. This helps keep them in sync. Mine went out so bad. I had to disconnect one motor, square it up, reconnect, reboot the master control and run it in and out to evenup the slide. Always go an extra 4 seconds on the switch. I ran it intermittently in the past. I think that may be how I got it out of square and messed up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast