User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how often do slide outs need alignment

I was wondering how often slide outs need alignment? I had a fifth wheel trailer before and the slide outs never needed adjustment in the 6 years I had it? My Reflection is now 6 years old and it need alignment on both the large slide and the smaller dinette slide. Actually this year the trailer has not moved so actually we have only used it 5 years, The five years we only traveled approx. 1500 miles per year, total trips three per year. My previous trailer has been towed from Maryland to the west coast , Seattle and then Oregon and a little in northern California , then to Glacier natl. park , to Canada part of Glacier, Waterton and back to Maryland. along with the normal local trips to Myrtle Beach, and campgrounds in Pa . Never had to align either slide. My Grand Design Reflection needs alignment and it got past me and actually tore the wiper seals on the two slides I have. I thought I was doing a good job keeping them lubricated but I guess the distance from the trailer frame and the slide got too close and tor the wiper slides. Just wondering how often I will be having my slides aligned and how many Grand Design owners have had to have slides aligned and how often? Is this a normal maintenance item? Thanks for any comments.
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Titan Disc Brakes
    Hensley hitch
    2002 GMC Duramax 3:73 rear, 2 wheel drive

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure how often they should be aligned, but the kitchen slide just put a small tear in my floor.
    I called Grand Design and that was the first thing he asked me. When was the last time you had the slide aligned?
    So I have a call in for a mobile RV tech to look at it. I dont want to take it to our dealer. to far away and I dont want them to have it forever.
    People keep telling me to follow my dreams...so I went back to bed

2019 303rls
    2017 GMC 2500hd ccsb 2wd 6.0 gas
    Andersen ultimate rail mount hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi avf100, WOW I see you have the same trailer I have. This just confuses me. I do not see why you or I have this problem. you will probably have yours fixed under warranty. No that way for me. I can't imagine having this as a regular maintenance item. Like I mentioned . I had a fifth wheel and pulled it around the country without and slides needing adjustments. I am getting tired of buying what I think is quality and then having to fork out money to cover things I think should not happen. Good luck. Hope all goes well.
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Titan Disc Brakes
    Hensley hitch
    2002 GMC Duramax 3:73 rear, 2 wheel drive

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by duke13 View Post
    Hi avf100, WOW I see you have the same trailer I have. This just confuses me. I do not see why you or I have this problem. you will probably have yours fixed under warranty. No that way for me. I can't imagine having this as a regular maintenance item. Like I mentioned . I had a fifth wheel and pulled it around the country without and slides needing adjustments. I am getting tired of buying what I think is quality and then having to fork out money to cover things I think should not happen. Good luck. Hope all goes well.
    I asked the same question recently on another thread about slide alignments. The answer is, there is not real "schedule" as to when/if to do it. Just keep an eye on the spacing between the slide and body of the rig when extended. If it looks out of alignment, then have it checked.

Also, when running the slides in and out, if you have Schwinteck (sp?) slides, do you hold the button for 5 seconds longer than the end of run? That's supposed to help keep things lined up.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry, duplicate

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've owned a total of seven slides (not all on the same RV, of course). None of them ever needed realigning. I just keep an eye on the seals to make sure they seal properly when the slides are both all the way in and all the way out. I also inspect the wiper seals periodically and treat them with a seal lubricant/protector.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The normal maintenance is to inspect the gaps and monitor for changes along with cleaning and treating the seals. Does not matter what style of slide mechanism you have - cable, Schwintek, Lippert through-frame rack and pinion, even those actuated with hydraulic rams - they all wear. Whether and how often to adjust has no recipe. As you see, some folks have never had the experience of needing adjustment, but I have had a lot more slideouts than most and plenty of them needed adjustment at one point or the other which is why I'm particularly versed in the mechanisms... So that's the mechanism aspect that can wear, stretch, creep, bend, etc. However, these are not the only reason you have to adjust slideouts. The box construction and the environment in which the camper is in are huge considerations because while the boxes are pretty stoutly built these days for strength, they are not so good with deflection especially in hot, humid environments. Much of the industry has switched over to composite construction slide box walls, some even have composite roofs, but the overwhelming majority still use single layer plywood floors. Even though it is specifically made for the industry in long lengths with particular glue and lamination profile. It can still sag, which can then pull sides inward, and such.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    The normal maintenance is to inspect the gaps and monitor for changes along with cleaning and treating the seals. Does not matter what style of slide mechanism you have - cable, Schwintek, Lippert through-frame rack and pinion, even those actuated with hydraulic rams - they all wear. Whether and how often to adjust has no recipe. As you see, some folks have never had the experience of needing adjustment, but I have had a lot more slideouts than most and plenty of them needed adjustment at one point or the other which is why I'm particularly versed in the mechanisms... So that's the mechanism aspect that can wear, stretch, creep, bend, etc. However, these are not the only reason you have to adjust slideouts. The box construction and the environment in which the camper is in are huge considerations because while the boxes are pretty stoutly built these days for strength, they are not so good with deflection especially in hot, humid environments. Much of the industry has switched over to composite construction slide box walls, some even have composite roofs, but the overwhelming majority still use single layer plywood floors. Even though it is specifically made for the industry in long lengths with particular glue and lamination profile. It can still sag, which can then pull sides inward, and such.
    Other Rob

Have you adjusted the camber on the hydraulic slides?
    Our kitchen slide just barely rubs a bit of grayness onto the floor to the rear of the slide. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    Other Rob

Have you adjusted the camber on the hydraulic slides?
    Our kitchen slide just barely rubs a bit of grayness onto the floor to the rear of the slide. KEN
    GD uses Lippert through frame slides on both electric and hydraulic models which means there's not an adjustment for the angle. What's needed is a slight vertical adjustment on the rear arm. Where the arm attaches to the slide, you loosen the two carriage bolts so the connection can move freely. Turn the adjustment screw clockwise to raise. 540 degrees gets you about 1/8" of vertical change. Only adjust with your rig level and stable, and put the slide in and out 4 to 6 times to confirm all is well.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    GD uses Lippert through frame slides on both electric and hydraulic models which means there's not an adjustment for the angle. What's needed is a slight vertical adjustment on the rear arm. Where the arm attaches to the slide, you loosen the two carriage bolts so the connection can move freely. Turn the adjustment screw clockwise to raise. 540 degrees gets you about 1/8" of vertical change. Only adjust with your rig level and stable, and put the slide in and out 4 to 6 times to confirm all is well.
    Thanks
    I will confirm with some pictures in the next few days. It's blowing rain sideway a lot lately here in Western Oregon. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast