User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unplug from Shore Power - then DEAD everywhere.

Fellow GD owners: When we unplug from shore power, everything goes dead inside (fridge, lights, everything). Did not have this problem at first, but after about our 3rd time being plugged in, it started "going black". Called GD. They seem to suspect, though no assurance, that it is the converter. Recommend service tech confirm, then GD will send part, and then have service tech install for us. Hate to go to that expense (we'll need a mobile tech this time) if it's something simple. Tried today to open the frame around the fuse box and just have a look. (GD indicated in our brief conversation that the converter was there) Didn't see anything that looked like a converter of any sort, though I only took off the from panel, for fear of "messin' it up" worse.
    Any thoughts? As a possible alternative, I also looked near the battery with no luck. BTW, battery is testing fine. It's been a couple of weeks, and we are definitely dependent on shore power at all times. Boondocking is pretty primitive this way, even for one night. :-/
    Thanks for any help.
    Tom
    P.S. No blown fuses apparent nor thrown breakers.
    Last edited by tomandmaryanne; 11-18-2020 at 07:32 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like you would have already tried this, but just in case, the main shutoff switch wasn’t moved to off, was it? If it’s off, the trailer would behave like you describe. In my trailer it’s red and in the same location as the water connection panel.

Someone will be along with converter location soon I’m sure.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomandmaryanne View Post
    Any thoughts?
    You didn't mention which model you have so I'll just give you my experience with my RV's.

In all three of our Grand Design 5th wheels (both Reflection and Solitudes), the converter was easier to get to from the basement. There are a few screws that hold the carpeted rear basement wall panel in place. It's actually very easy to replace the converter.

And as mentioned above, make sure you can't remove the red battery cutoff handle. If you can, your batteries are turned off.
    Last edited by bertschb; 11-18-2020 at 08:43 PM.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same issue. Went looking for a fuse that might have blown. I couldn’t find anything and, after about 30 minutes of troubleshooting, and finding that the battery was fully charged, I took a chance and called Grand Design to see if they could tell me where the main fuse might be hidden.

They let me know that there is no main fuse, but he said that it sounded like I might have bumped the red 12V cut-off switch which, on my unit, is on the curb side front wall, in the basement. It’s the wall that separates the propane tanks and the basement. I knew that I hadn’t turned it off, but looked anyway. It appears that it just takes a minor bump, and it will kill power to just about everything that needs 12V to operate. Lights, fridge, furnace, etc. About the only thing that still runs is the clock on the stereo/DVD player and the smoke detectors and propane alarms.

It just takes once for that to be one of the first things to check when you have no 12V.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the converter was bad you would still have lights from a good battery and "kill" switch allowing power through (until battery dies.)

I'm with the others, sounds like the switch.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE