User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie question

Forgive my ignorance. If at a campground and hooked directly up to Sewage disposal, do I leave my black tank valve open all the time or close it until it gets full and needs to be emptied?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is important. Leave the Black Tank valve closed until the tank is full, or you are leaving the campground. If you leave the valve open the the "fluid" will continue down the hose but the "solids" will drop to the bottom of the tank and start building a "hill" which will be very hard to get rid off. -Sorry to be so graphic-

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    Forgive my ignorance. If at a campground and hooked directly up to Sewage disposal, do I leave my black tank valve open all the time or close it until it gets full and needs to be emptied?
    Second what @SNye45 said. Leave the valve closed until you are ready to dump. You want a large volume of water to "rush out" for a good flush when you dump. Also, if you leave the black valve open, you run the risk of getting little "sewer flys" coming up the dump line and into your black tank. I have heard they are a real pain to get rid of.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And use lots of water, water is your friend. Think portapotty without liquid in it.
    Imagine 2020 2670MK,
    2021 RAM 2500

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've got good advice so far - keep the valve closed, use lots of water when flushing. More advice:

- when dumping, use the black tank flush system (look in your owner materials for information about it).

- after dumping, close the valve and put 5 gallons or so of water in the tank. Makes it harder for stuff remaining in the tank to solidify on the bottom.

- consider following the "GEO Method" (look that up online) which means regularly putting Dawn dish soap and Borax/Calgon water softener in the tank when you put the 5 gallons of water in. This further helps dissolve things in the tanks, and helps keep the tank level sensors clean.

Welcome!
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SNye45 View Post
    This is important. Leave the Black Tank valve closed until the tank is full, or you are leaving the campground. If you leave the valve open the the "fluid" will continue down the hose but the "solids" will drop to the bottom of the tank and start building a "hill" which will be very hard to get rid off. -Sorry to be so graphic-
    Thanks folks. That being said, I should leave the grey tank closed as well so it will help flush out the black tank?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks folks. That being said, I should leave the grey tank closed as well so it will help flush out the black tank?
    Yes leave the gray valve closed and follow the black flush with the gray flush for the exact reason you state, helps clear remnants of the black flush. That said, I find I have to empty the gray more frequently than the black, so there are many times I am dumping only gray. However, When I am going to dump the black, I empty the black before the gray; but I do leave the gray closed until time to dump.

When I am at a full hook up site and have time; I put a lot of water through the system when I have the time. Sometimes things get busy at a dump station and I try to be respectful of others that are waiting.

As mentioned above, once I have things running clear, I like to add 5 gallons (just a few minutes of back flush running with the valve closed) or so of water that I leave in the blank tank to swish around until the next trip.
    Last edited by Keebler; 11-19-2020 at 10:31 AM.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
    Yes leave the gray valve closed and follow the black flush with the gray flush for the exact reason you state, helps clear remnants of the black flush. That said, I find I have to empty the gray more frequently than the black, so there are many times I am dumping only gray. However, When I am going to dump the black, I empty the black before the gray; but I do leave the gray closed until time to dump.

When I am at a full hook up site and have time; I put a lot of water through the system when I have the time. Sometimes things get busy at a dump station and I try to be respectful of others that are waiting.

As mentioned above, once I have things running clear, I like to add 5 gallons (just a few minutes of back flush running with the valve closed) or so of water that I leave in the blank tank to swish around until the next trip.
    Thank you for the assistance

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lookup kleantank for the geo method

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a video explaining how the "Bio-Geo" method works. Best wishes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUWGlm2gQfE
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast