User Tag List

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LanerC View Post
    I received my GD 310gkr last june. I was prepared to keep a running list of things for warranty repair. Its been all summer and fall and so far there is nothing on the list. Im quiet surprised but very happy with my GD.
    My wife and I have vacation-camped in tents then pop-ups, for the past 40 years. We are planning on retiring summer of 2021 (to go full-time RVing) and have a 2021 Solitude 310GK ordered. Delivery to VT dealer estimated to be Feb./Mar. We will bring it home to NH after the snow melts. I had planned on going over every inch of it with the dealer and have them demo that everything works before we take it off the lot.

We're nervous enough about this new lifestyle and financial commitment (the new truck cost more than the RV!) but reading the above posts is quite unsettling. I'm somewhat handy for minor repairs, but a lot of the problems stated are out of my comfort zone. There's another thread on this forum debating the need for an extended warranty. If the majority of trailers these days are in fact built so shoddy, then why wouldn't one want to buy that extra protection? Or, maybe we'll get lucky like LanerC and not have any problems?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeHannaford View Post
    My wife and I have vacation-camped in tents then pop-ups, for the past 40 years. We are planning on retiring summer of 2021 (to go full-time RVing) and have a 2021 Solitude 310GK ordered. Delivery to VT dealer estimated to be Feb./Mar. We will bring it home to NH after the snow melts. I had planned on going over every inch of it with the dealer and have them demo that everything works before we take it off the lot.

We're nervous enough about this new lifestyle and financial commitment (the new truck cost more than the RV!) but reading the above posts is quite unsettling. I'm somewhat handy for minor repairs, but a lot of the problems stated are out of my comfort zone. There's another thread on this forum debating the need for an extended warranty. If the majority of trailers these days are in fact built so shoddy, then why wouldn't one want to buy that extra protection? Or, maybe we'll get lucky like LanerC and not have any problems?
    Joe,

I've never had an extended warranty on an RV so I'm not good first hand info. There are some things to consider. They are expensive, so think of the amount of repair work you can pay for out of your pocket for that amount of money. Not all dealers will accept all extended warranties. Same for mobile techs. The warranty may not pay the full amount being charged by the repair facility.

As mentioned in some of the posts above, any warranty doesn't mean much if you have to leave your trailer at the dealer for several weeks to get it fixed.

It's just not like having a manufacturer's extended warranty like on automobiles where you drive into the dealership and say fix my car. With that said, there are probably folks that have done just fine with RV extended warranties. Hopefully they will voice their opinions here.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fundamentally, extended warranties are a waste of money because you won't use what they will cover. You're better off putting the equivalent dollar sum in a money market and draw off as you need, and if you never do it becomes a down-payment fund for a future upgrade/customization/whatever. Remember, the unit comes with different warranties for different things beginning with the 1 year hitch to tail, but then you have multi year on structure, frame, running gear, roof membrane and so-on. Appliances can get extended warranties from the manufacturers of them, and they're the best bang for the buck. Extended warranties from third-parties are a gigantic PITA to deal with as most service providers won't deal direct with them, and then you have to jump the hoops for reimbursement after getting prior approval for the work to be done even.

Unlike automotive dealers, RV dealers don't like servicing because it is exactly the opposite model for them. In the automotive world, service brings the most profit to the dealership. In the RV world, it is the unit sale that does. RV dealers rather get you in and off the lot as fast as possible after signing off on the sale, and do as many of those a day as possible.

If you're not terribly handy, you have to seek out the good independent technician or shop. They are out there, and coveted, so you won't see them mentioned too much on forums or contact information freely shared.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    Geotex made an interesting point on how the dealers are the manufacturers customers. But still, if the dealers can't move inventory or handle warranty work, it becomes an issue with the manufacturer. You have probably noticed most dealers change the different brands they carry frequently. Probably a lot of disputes with the factory.
    Dealers move inventory pretty well provided they gamble on the right floorplans, and there are so many factory incentives to dealers it would leave you in disbelief the industry works as it does! This years has totally been bananas! I have a legion of dealerships around PA and their lots were absolutely empty through the summer into the fall with units being delivered as fast as they arrived. It has literally only been the last month that I have actually seen them with lot inventory again. For the record, the manufacturers are having a lot of problem with dealers and their doing warranty work as well (I got it straight from several of them).
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like most things, nobody complains when things are going good, If everybody posted about having no problems with their RV this thread would get verryy long. just sayin.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LanerC View Post
    If everybody posted about having no problems with their RV this thread would get verryy long. just sayin.
    This exactly. I have no idea what the percentages are, but there are a lot more people happy with what they bought rather than the few with horrible experiences.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    This exactly. I have no idea what the percentages are, but there are a lot more people happy with what they bought rather than the few with horrible experiences.
    I'd guess that most of the happy folks received their RVs prior to covid. I don't know whether or not you can rule out 'horrible' experiences with the coaches being built in the current environment. Have to wonder if a component source replacement is bolt on or requires changes that make it a one-off which is difficult and expensive to repair because of scarce components provided by substitute suppliers causing 'tweaks' by the manufacturer. The fact that all components are NOT warranted by the RV manufacturer could be a nightmare.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same here. We live in southern NH and want to order, but some of the parts are scarce or not available. Montpelier is on our list of finalists. We bought the truck and have picked out the floor plan but have decided to hold off ordering until the new year pending supply of components that just are not available now. Too much of an investment to not have the unit delivered as we want.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rrlowen View Post
    One thing comes to mind through this discussion. Many owners fix issues themselves. This seems to have become quite standard.
    I fix issues myself for a number of reasons, but a couple of the main ones are
    1/ I don't want to leave it at a dealer for a couple weeks for the repair to get done. I want to be out fishing/camping in the summer. Not sitting at home.
    2/ By the time I'm done investigating what the issue may be, I'm half way through the job anyway so I just finish it. AND, I'll do a better job than the dealership. (I'm an electrician with a G1 gas ticket)
    So in the end, I have less down time and less stress if I do it.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    (I'm an electrician with a G1 gas ticket)
    So in the end, I have less down time and less stress if I do it.
    I'm sorry to hear about your intestinal issues.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast