Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Philadelphia to St. Pete, FL Best Route

Hello,

We are going to St. Pete, FL in a month and wanted to ask the community what's the best route to travel?

Thanks!
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leave early on a weekend and take Rt 95 to avoid the Chester- Wilmington (Rt 495 is the way) then Baltimore - Washington congestion. It is the most direct way, tolls and traffic are the issue. Or take the scenic route, Rt 76w then down Rt 81 and at any number of routes swing southeast back to Rt 95 after DC. Going down Rt 95 just south of Richmond Va. is Pocahontas State Park, a nice place for a stop over or an extended stay! Going down Rt 81 Natural Chimneys Park in Augusta County, near Staunton Va. is a good place to stop and see nature being creative. You'll probably need gas by the time you get near either place. Google maps is your friend and most helpful!
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 08-10-2020 at 04:56 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    81! Stay away from 95 as much as you can, it's probably the fastest route, but it's also an ugly/crowded route. 76 to Harrisburg, 81 to Charlotte, 85 to Atlanta, 75 to St Pete. The only "awful" on that trip is around Charlotte (can be bad) and around Atlanta (will be bad, but can be avoided by going on other roads around ATL). First half of the trip is pretty, the 85 section is mostly just boring, and the Atlanta down to FL section is really easy. Showing as 1200 miles, 19 hours to go that way from Philly. The most direct route is about 1050 miles and 16 hours, straight down 95. Which, if you hit traffic near DC, well, will turn into 21 hours.

The alternate would be 85 to 77 in CLT, then to 95 near Charleston. I'd consider that route too, 95 in the GA/north FL area is pretty good. That's about 100 miles less than staying west. The other option would be stay on 81 until Knoxville, then take 75 down. That'll be a lot longer, but it's also pretty in that area if you want to do some sightseeing.
    Last edited by Overtaxed; 08-10-2020 at 03:58 PM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    81! Stay away from 95 as much as you can, it's probably the fastest route, but it's also an ugly/crowded route. 76 to Harrisburg, 81 to Charlotte, 85 to Atlanta, 75 to St Pete. The only "awful" on that trip is around Charlotte (can be bad) and around Atlanta (will be bad, but can be avoided by going on other roads around ATL). First half of the trip is pretty, the 85 section is mostly just boring, and the Atlanta down to FL section is really easy. Showing as 1200 miles, 19 hours to go that way from Philly. The most direct route is about 1050 miles and 16 hours, straight down 95. Which, if you hit traffic near DC, well, will turn into 21 hours.

The alternate would be 85 to 77 in CLT, then to 95 near Charleston. I'd consider that route too, 95 in the GA/north FL area is pretty good. That's about 100 miles less than staying west. The other option would be stay on 81 until Knoxville, then take 75 down. That'll be a lot longer, but it's also pretty in that area if you want to do some sightseeing.
    I took 95 down to Florida last winter leaving on Presidents day and was really surprised how well I did. I hit a few brief log jambs around DC after lunch time. Having federal workers on a holiday was a blessing. Once past DC the only part of 95 being bad was the terrible surface and pot holes going through South Carolina ( I have found this a common complaint). Then you arrive at a lovely smoooooth three lane highway all the way through Georgia. Go figure?
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 08-10-2020 at 04:10 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really want to stick the the east of 95 if possible to stay at the places we have setup down and back. What's it like going through Del. and Maryland and shooting over to Virginia? Is it 13 or 113?
    Last edited by EddieK82; 08-11-2020 at 08:49 AM.
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieK82 View Post
    I really want to stick the the east of 95 if possible to stay at the places we have setup down and back. What's it like going through Del. and Maryland and shooting over to Virginia? Is it 13 or 113?
    It's both to go down the DelMarVa Peninsula and get to the Bay - Bridge tunnel. You really need to look at and learn Google maps either on your phone or computer as you could easily find all this out.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What makes you think I haven't looked at Google Maps? You're right, I did easily find the routes, but it's not so easy to pick a route one has never driven and say "Yup, that's the fastest, bestest route based off my Google maps searches". I wanted input from people here that have actually made the trek from point A to point B and can tell me things like above "Avoid 95" "Go this way, or that way, it's a better drive for a travel trailer" and so forth.

I have driven 95 to and from Florida my entire life and I do not want to go that way it's a mess even driving a honda through it, hence why I came here to find alternate routes that are more TT friendly.

I appreciate everyone's advice, and I think we're going to go 81 and then head east once past all the congestion of the GNE.
    Last edited by EddieK82; 08-11-2020 at 04:55 PM.
    Ed & Kaitlin

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I-95 all the way to Jacksonville.
    West on I-10 a couple of exits and exit going south toward Ocala where you'd get on I-75 south into Tampa area.

It's 1000 miles, but you do best to gauge your travel times so you avoid rush hour in the big cities you come through (Washington, DC).

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    I-95 all the way to Jacksonville.
    West on I-10 a couple of exits and exit going south toward Ocala where you'd get on I-75 south into Tampa area.

It's 1000 miles, but you do best to gauge your travel times so you avoid rush hour in the big cities you come through (Washington, DC).
    Thanks. I've driven that way and home about 30 times and don't really want to take a TT through all that mess, even if it is the fastest. Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind and try it, but 80% of the time, day or night, I've hit some kind of traffic either in DC, Baltimore or coming out of Philly into Delaware. I'd like to connect to 95 once I get into NC though. I'm thinking 81 and cut over to 95 near there.
    Ed & Kaitlin

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just came down 95 from from CT a few weeks ago and I was surprised how well everything was moving. I was towing an 8 ft enclosed trailer with a loaded minivan and didn't want to do the hills in PA or VA so we took a chance on 95.
    Once we got thru NYC it was easy driving.
    Even 301 into Ocala went fast. 75 was pretty light as well as far as we went on it (got off at SR 52) to New Port Richey)
    Wave when you go by.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast