User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bad converter? Recommended replacement?

Howdy Everybody! I'm looking for some advice about issues I've been having with my electrical system and what people recommend replacing with/upgrading to.

I'm pretty sure my WFCO converter is bad. The reverse polarity fuses are fine. With the batteries physically disconnected, the converter is putting out 0v, 3v, 9v, or 13-14v power. Yesterday, it was putting out 9v for a few hours and then it eventually started putting out 13-14v. When it isn't putting out power, it sometimes works after I unplug it for a while and try again later.

With the 12v lead-acid batteries connected, the converter doesn't put out power and the batteries would completely drain if I let them. I tried replacing the batteries with 1 new battery to see if that was the problem, but I'm still having the same issue.

Does this sound like a bad converter? Any other troubleshooting steps I should try?

If it is the converter, what do you recommend replacing it with? I've been contemplating lithium and hybrid inverter/converter. Maybe I should pull the trigger... Any recommendations/resources for a DIYer? I'm very comfortable working with AC wiring but don't have a lot of experience with DC wiring. Safety is the most important thing, but I'm pretty sure I can do it myself.

Thanks for the advice!

Jeff & Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jeff&Ben; 11-21-2020 at 07:34 PM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tough choice only you can decide on Litho Batts and charger/converter.upgrade. If going to replace the Converter with similar, consider Progressive Industries comparable model. If going to replace a defective unit, it would be convenient upgrading at that point knowing you had to replace the converter anyhow.
    2019 Ford F350 Dually
    2020 GD Solitude 375RES-R

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The converter should put out a solid 13.2V or so. You can replace the whole converter and power center, or install a separate converter and disconnect the charging line on the WFCO.
    I have a deck-mount IOTA converter mounted inside the hookup center for faster charging off a generator. The factory converter is still connected but turned off at its breaker.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff&Ben View Post
    I'm pretty sure my WFCO converter is bad. The reverse polarity fuses are fine. With the batteries physically disconnected, the converter is putting out 0v, 3v, 9v, or 13-14v power. Yesterday, it was putting out 9v for a few hours and then it eventually started putting out 13-14v. When it isn't putting out power, it sometimes works after I unplug it for a while and try again later.

With the 12v lead-acid batteries connected, the converter doesn't put out power and the batteries would completely drain if I let them. I tried replacing the batteries with 1 new battery to see if that was the problem, but I'm still having the same issue.
    Contrary to another post here the converter does NOT put out "a solid 13.2V or so". It has a three-stage charging system that kicks in 13+ volts when batteries are pretty low, but scales power output back in stages as the batteries begin to approach full charge. I don't know the specific voltages of the different stages but it wouldn't surprise me if they were as you have described them above. When you "unplug it for a while and then try again later" it would be normal if your batteries had drained somewhat and the converter decided it needed to put some power into them.

So, that's how it is *supposed* to work. Your report that the converter won't put out power when the batteries are connected muddies the waters a bit. I'd guess that the problem may be your batteries, the way they are hooked up, or - best news of all - that you've forgotten to turn on the battery "disconnect" switch. Even when that switch is turned off there are things that remain connected to battery power (brakes, jacks, and a few others) and they will drain your battery dead flat in less than two weeks.

Draining lead-acid batteries flat is bad for them, does permanent damage. If this has happened a few times the problem may well be your batteries.

If you connected your new battery to the other battery that may be bad you'll quickly damage the new battery. If it's not too late, test the new battery and connect ONLY it to your systems and see if things begin to operate as they should.

If not, and if you're certain that fuses and connections and the "disconnect" switch are all as they should be then maybe your converter does have an issue. If so, a popular replacement for it comes from Progressive Dynamics.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/

As I type this there's a problem with their web site - won't show me a page of their converter products. Hopefully you'll be able to see the products to determine which model is the replacement for your converter.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch