User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firewood, regional differences

When I started out I carried a chainsaw. Big he man was going to cut his own wood, chop it, kindle it; yeah baby, campfires!

About 2 years in I sold the chain saw, just wasn't using it enough. I found it was a lot easier to pay $5.oo for a bundle of wood. Then I found out there is a big difference in the type of wood that is being sold, and another difference in how the wood was aged.

We have been west of the Mississippi for quite some time, lots of pine. It light's quick and burns quick, you need lots of it. We have now ventured back east and have been camping in Alabama and Georgia, they sell a lot of red oak. Now red oak burns really good, but if it isn't aged for about 2 years it tends to be "wet" and hard to start. A bit frustrating when I am used to light and go. Saw a neighbor with some chem logs he used as starter, hilarious, burning a whole chem log just to get your firewood dried out and burning... anyway.

Just thought I would throw this out there for a fireside chat...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201123_170022.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	30825
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're right about some of the red oak for sale here in Georgia. Had some once that took a roadside flare to get going!

Crazy

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost universally in the East you can bring wood across State lines and in some areas, County lines.
    So choices become prepackaged, commercially sold wood that has to be kiln dried. Burns like match sticks, and you consume a $5-7 bundle in 30 minutes. Locals selling near the campground can be just about any type and generally wet to a season dry. Pretty much need to mix and match, and I bring along dimensional lumber kindling and paper/cardboard for tinder. Always an Eagle Scout, the only deviation I have in building a fire is that I use a lighter and leave the magnesium in the sheath. Lol
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think geotex1 meant "can't", rather than "can".

Check campground/state regs before bringing your own wood. Campgrounds from PA to SD that I have been at all seem to have prohibitions on bringing wood in. State regulations to limit invasives - ash borer, dutch elm, oak wilt, and many many others....
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've had issues trying to light wood purchased at state parks because it wasn't seasoned properly. Finally came up with an idea that has worked well. I take a small amount of charcoal briquets and place them in the fire pit. Then add some kindling or ripped up cardboard strips and finally a couple pieces of firewood. Squirt on a bit of charcoal lighter fluid (or use matchlight charcoal) and light. Starts the fire every time.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FL does not want people moving firewood within the state let alone bringing it in from another state. They really want you to buy firewood within 50 miles of where you're going to be burning it.

I solved the lighting problem by getting a Solo Stove Bonfire fire pit. The way the air flows through the fire pit it will burn anything without issue. I use it at home also and burn fresh cut red oak all the time. One of the best purchases I've ever made.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We used to cut our own wood for years. Most of our camping was always in National and State Forest lands so there was never a shortage of downed dried wood. Now we seek out wood from either tree services or someone who sells wood out of their yard. We buy wood local to where ever we may be, providing we are there for a week or more. They are usually very happy to load us up for a decent price and the wood always burns better and cleaner than you get from a campground bundle.

Now with all the invasive species it is more important to not transport , we have seen the devistation of the EAB first hand and don't want to bring it to a new area. Beside buying local helps the economy plus look at all the weight you aren't hauling around.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use a lot of shaggy juniper here in AZ. We shred off a bit of the "shag" to use as a starter, then small split pieces, then up to larger, etc. We don't need any starter; the shag usually starts great with just one light. In the past, I would save my wood sawdust from shop projects, mix with wax, and pour into paper egg cartons. They make great fire starters. Cut one or two "eggs" off, and build your kindling around it.
    D & D
    Currently in a diesel pusher,
    but we are going to retire into a
    Momentum 397th in a couple of years.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The prohibition of transporting wood is one reason I sold my chain saw. And I get it; once you have been in a beetle kill forest you really understand the problem. I bought some wood in GA that we didn't burn up, when to load it to take to our next GA campground, but when I picked it up it had cockroaches in it. It had only been on the ground a day. So I left it for the next campers to enjoy.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with purchasing wood wherever I am at. Local wood has local bugs and I would hate to be that person who was to introduce a new pest to a new area.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast