User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Long Ride

Generator Dry Camping Set-Up Questions

With a GD 27RLS in our near future we are trying to figure out the best set up for our unit with the best potential for expansion to include two 100 watt portable solar collectors like Tuscon Jim's set-up. We plan to do a lot of 5 day to 1 week camping trips in National Parks along the Blue Ridge Parkway for the first two years and find that many we want to visit do not have electrical sites. Can anyone help shed light on the following questions:

1. Who manufacturer's the AC unit on the GD 27RLS and what are the load specs?
    2. We understand it to have two modes that it uses (1) compressor on, and (2) compressor off and functioning like a dehumidifier....question can you select it to run in the second mode and thereby get the benefits of a dehumidifier without the full power drain of the compressor?
    3. Will a Honda/Yamaha 2000i run the AC unit with no other power draws on?
    4. Is it possible/advisable to prep the 27RLS for use of a Honda/Yamaha 2000i generator to run in the forward compartment with proper ventilation? additional sound proofing?
    5. We are figuring we would need at least a 220 amp battery bank but question if that is enough to occasionally run the micro-wave (5-10 min per night) and television (2-3 hrs/night)?
    6. Can the Honda inverter be configured to power the on-board 120v appliances off the battery bank when not running or would a separate inverter be needed.?
    7. What size multistage battery charger would be recommended or does the Honda 2000i fulfill this purpose by connecting to the DC output?
    8. What is the manufacturer and what are the load specs for the LED television?
    9. What is the manufacturer and what are the load specs for the microwave?

Any guidance would be very much appreciated.
    Last edited by Long Ride; 03-10-2015 at 06:58 AM. Reason: orrect wording

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Honda 2000W won't run the 13,500 BTU AC. BTDT. Also it's illegal to install a portable gen in the front compartment. Just plug the Honda into the trailers power cord and it will power all things inside. You can't run the micro and a coffee pot at the same time, or hairdryer either. Only one at a time. If you want to run the AC you need two Honda 2000's run in parallel or one 3000W.

Here's the list of parts manufactures. http://www.granddesignrv.com/pdf/ser...Reflection.pdf

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Long Ride,

A few answers (on the assumption that systems on the Reflection 27RL are the same as the 393RLS) . . .

1) AC is an Atwood Model 13500 drawing 12.5 amps (but probably more at startup).
    2) In "dry" mode, the compressor still cycles on and off to extract moisture.
    3) A generator with a continuous rating of 1800 W ( 15 amps ) would be needed to run the AC.
    4) Agree with goducks14.
    5) Storage, usage and recharging is an amp hour calculation. Keeping a 220 amp hour battery in the safe discharge quick recharge range of 50% to 80% gives you 66 amp hours to work with. But, this is at 12 volts. Through an inverter to 120 volts, this would give you about 6 amps for an hour (for example).
    6) See 4 above.
    7) The RV has a battery charger (converter). I don't know its output, but plugging the shore power cord into your generator will automatically charge the battery. A bigger battery charger could be installed, but must be within the capability of your generator.
    8) Our Haier TV is rated at 50 watts (about 0 .4 amps)
    9) Our Highpointe microwave is rated at 1350 watts (about 11 amps)

Hope this helps with the planning . . .
    Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Assuming you have the same Atwood Air Command AC installed that on my '14 337, you CAN run the AC with a 2KW generator. Here is a link to the Atwood brocure which states that it's compatible with a single 2000 watt generator:

http://www.atwoodmobile.com/images/a...s-brochure.pdf

Of course, you'll have to minimize other loads while you're doing so.

Jim

Long Ride
    Thank you both for the quick replies. It does help with our planning and it sounds like we need to rethink the AC usage,find a site with power, stay to higher altitudes and cooler temps OR get more generator. We can live with low-mod usage of the microwave but the 220 amps battery bank may be a little shy of what we need...easy enough to add more. Curious if anyone has info on the converter ratings?

Thanks too goducks14 for the manufacturer's equip list...very helpful

Long Ride
    Thanks Tuscon Jim....now that's encouraging. Looks like the 11.3 amps full load is just inside the Honda's capabilities. Honda Owner's Manual states AC Output - 120V 2000W max. (16.7A) 1600W rated (13.3A)

Does that mean its rated at 16.7 amps at full power or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Assuming you have the same Atwood Air Command AC installed that on my '14 337, you CAN run the AC with a 2KW generator. Here is a link to the Atwood brocure which states that it's compatible with a single 2000 watt generator:

http://www.atwoodmobile.com/images/a...s-brochure.pdf

Of course, you'll have to minimize other loads while you're doing so.

Jim

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Long Ride,

I would interpret that data as 2000 W surge and 1600 W continuous.
    So, you will be working the generator hard to run the AC, but this should be "within spec".

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Long Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Long Ride,

I would interpret that data as 2000 W surge and 1600 W continuous.
    So, you will be working the generator hard to run the AC, but this should be "within spec".

Rob
    Thanks Cate&Rob...sounds like it will work but pretty much at it outer limits

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have 2 Hondas in parallel. 3200 watts continous. Runs trailer just fine. Only issue was getting rid of reverse polarity error on surge protector.
    Becky, BoBo and Mike
    2015 Solitude 369RL
    2020 GMC 2500 Duramax
    Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far no one has said they've actually ran a 13,500 AC with a 2000W gen. While the specs say so it just doesn't work. BTDT. I've been reading RV forums for 4-5 years now and no one has ever run a 13,500 AC with a 2000W gen. I would jump to the Yamaha 2400W to be safe. Even if it does it will be working way to hard. And who just runs the AC for a few mins. Unless the Atwood is designed to run on less power than most AC's, it's just not going to happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast