User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks MountainFolk - GREAT advice. Since my initial post I've done a deep dive into TT - Coast-to-Coast- RPI - Outdoor World - AOR - Sun RV Resorts - Cal-AM Resorts - Sunland RV Resorts. Found out it's a fine print thing, at many parks discounts don't apply during peak seasons, etc. We're already Good Sam members so we're going to add PP America & Escapees and just roll with those for a couple years.
    Dave & Sherri
    2020 Imagine 2250RK
    2014 F-150 Eco

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE: Sun RV Resorts Black Friday Sale: up to 40% off RV sites at selected parks for stays beginning January 1st. Check sunrvresorts.com.
    Dave & Sherri
    2020 Imagine 2250RK
    2014 F-150 Eco

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We stayed at the Petoskey, MI Sun RV Resort. Very nice facility, large sites, but we were in the new area with no trees. I didn't need a membership. I have looked at other Sun RV resorts and as with any chain, there are good and bad. Google Maps satellite view and street view has saved me from some bad choices! Sun RV resorts show up on goodsam.com, so you can check reviews there.

We have been KOA members for a few years. KOA is good for travel - many very close to highways and good for an overnight. Have been to some good destination KOAs (Bar Harbor, ME and St. Augustine, FL) and would definitely recommend a membership if you are looking to travel a lot. Discount pays for itself quickly. Drawback of KOA is the sites are typically narrow, but that also varies by campground.

I just joined Good Sam - no opinion yet, but seems like a good complement to KOA and has a good site to look-up campgrounds. I had used Trailerlife before being bought by Good Sam, which integrated the format which I like.
    Semi Retired
    2020 F350 SRW CC LB Lariat 6.7
    2021 Solitude 375RES
    RVing 20 years - first 5th wheel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sun Resorts is a bit of an upscale from a regular campground. They are not a time share or purchase your lot type of resort.
    2013 Ford Eco Boost CC ( previous)
    2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    2019 Reflection 297 RSTS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM Traveler View Post
    We're planning our first retirement trip and want to do FL in January - February 2022. I know, I know ... doesn't everyone. We're not going the 1000 trails route for all the cons many have expressed. Thinking of going through the Sun RV Resorts system. We are targeting the FL keys and Naples areas, would welcome any tips on booking, discount programs (Good Sam, Passport Am), etc. Thanks!
    Are you military or retired military?
    Retired SF Sergeant Major
    Retired Sheriff's detective

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have been going to Sun N Fun in Sarasota for 20 yrs. It just recently has been bought by Sun Resorts. There are no membership fees or time restrictions. For wintering, I recommend reserving at least 3 months in order to get a rate discount, though you can reserve for less time. Most of the park is comprised of park models, but they still have many transient sites. Facilities are top notch with many activities and amenities not found in many parks. But, you do pay for it. If you're not interested in partaking of what the park has to offer, there are many cheaper places. Note: call them to get a price; don't use their website numbers to figure your cost because they have different deals depending on the length of reservation & the website numbers are higher than what you'd likely pay. Sun Resorts has begun (starting last winter) to charge for things that were free in the past (can't bring your own drinks to the Saturday night dances, for example). Maybe that's no different from other places with similar activities, I don't know. You just get the feeling that the corporate attitude of customers being profit sources rather than valued partners in the business (an attitude that was more evident when under private ownership) has taken over. That said, we still go back every year for 3 months because we know so many people. It really does become a winter family. But we have not joined any kind of resort program because Sun N Fun is the only place that we go to year after year. We're on the road 6 mo/yr, but a lot of time is spent at national parks, state parks, and other non-resort style parks.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure buying in on any of the memberships until you know that it will used and you like it. We stay at a private resort in the Clermont area where the lots are owned privately and the place is immaculate. We rented from the 1st of November to the end of April. It cost us around $5,000.00 for six months. This way we are not locked in on a membership. Good luck and Enjoy.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have stayed at Sun Resorts and really like them! We stayed at one in Jensen Beach FL (called Ocean Breeze Resort) on our way to the Keys and it was great!!!
    We are also members of Harvest Hosts which partner with local wineries, breweries and farms. Your membership allows you to stay for free but most of them do not have any hookups at all so that’s the drawback.
    Have fun!!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good that your planning far out, we only go to FL for 2-3 weeks and since August or maybe earlier they are all booked up and 3 months minimum! We usually stay around Sarasota area. Be careful with some of the resorts around Ft Meyers and Naples, sites are very tight they pack them in and traffic is horrible especially getting on and off Ft Meyers beach.
    Tim in NC

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When my boss told me in 2016 that I could relocate to Florida from Michigan for the winter because we had a customer need down there we started researching RV parks. It was very eye-opening. There are several web sites what will list parks by location. The lists are very comprehensive, but not all-encompassing. Interestingly, there are some things to be learned.

First, its about location, location, location! To serve our customers at the far corners of Florida I chose to centrally locate which put us in upper central Florida, Lake City, to be exact. Using the aforementioned websites I found that the monthly pricing is basically divided into three sections, north to south, with the rates of northern Florida doubling near the central (Orlando) area, and with that rate doubling or tripling in the much warmer southern Florida. No lie, in 2016 I saw some RV park rates at $2000 to $3000 per month! The park we settled on in Lake City is just over $300 per month + electricity + fast-streaming internet. useless internet is free. Its an old place with tenants who have been there for 20 years. They also do not have age limits for RV's. Many parks do. We have met life-long friends and found a winter church home there as well. We look forward to going back there every year....

However, changes are happening now and they're not isolated to this park. It used to being 'mostly' full all winter with many open sites in the summer for daily or weekly transients for which they have rates on their brochure. When Covid happened things changed. Right after we left for home at Easter they started getting a deluge of people wanting full-time sites. That's when the owners started to see dollar signs. Doing the math, any livable RV for $320 per month + electric is way cheaper than an apartment! One couple who have been going there almost 20 years with a "grandfathered" agreement to leave their unoccupied RV on-site from May through October for half-price was told they would now have to pay full price year-round or lose their lot. Another snowbird friend we met there, after having been on the same lot for 4 years was told in June that his lot had already been given to a full-timer and told him they didn't know if there would even get a lot for the winter. He barely got in, but farther away from close friends. We called to inquire about our lot and were told to call back in December to see if they had given our lot away or not! Our yearly arrival date is 12/27! We were told that NO RESERVATIONS would be honored or accepted. This is NO WAY to take care of customers. Thankfully, due to hand surgery and unused vacation time, we were able to take time to get the RV set-up the first weekend in November. Evidently, no one wanted our lot in the summer because it is full-sun, but by October calls were coming in every day by full-timers. Had we not been able to get or RV there almost 2 months early (and pay lot rent for two months of non-use) we would have had no where to go.

I understand that I am venting, but being in a customer service business it really gets me mad. The moral of this story is to please do your homework and read reviews. The further south you go the more it will cost and the more scarce the lots will be. Good luck in your endeavors. We hope you make new lifelong friendships as well.
    Last edited by fez111; 12-02-2020 at 05:32 PM.
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast