User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best thing we ever did was to dump the chain saw, axes and kindling. Got rid of the log basket on the back. Bought a propane fire on Amazon...best $100 ever spent!!!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    When I started out I carried a chainsaw. Big he man was going to cut his own wood, chop it, kindle it; yeah baby, campfires!

About 2 years in I sold the chain saw, just wasn't using it enough. I found it was a lot easier to pay $5.oo for a bundle of wood. Then I found out there is a big difference in the type of wood that is being sold, and another difference in how the wood was aged.

We have been west of the Mississippi for quite some time, lots of pine. It light's quick and burns quick, you need lots of it. We have now ventured back east and have been camping in Alabama and Georgia, they sell a lot of red oak. Now red oak burns really good, but if it isn't aged for about 2 years it tends to be "wet" and hard to start. A bit frustrating when I am used to light and go. Saw a neighbor with some chem logs he used as starter, hilarious, burning a whole chem log just to get your firewood dried out and burning... anyway.

Just thought I would throw this out there for a fireside chat...

Attachment 30825
    I purchase most of my firewood from a local sawmill that specializes in high end wood pallets. Waste wood is sold dirt cheap... around $30 a pickup truck. I have to load it and split the bigger pieces but you can't beat the price for oak, hickory and ash. I pick up as many discarded pallets as I can. Purchased a wrecking bar to take them apart. Cut them on a chop saw and store in plastic containers. No bark on the wood. State parks love it.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymurgist View Post
    I pick up as many discarded pallets as I can. ... No bark on the wood. State parks love it.
    So long as you remove the metal from the pallets it makes great firewood. I have worked any many different state parks as a campground host, you know, the guy that cleans the campsites after everyone leaves. I gotta tell you picking nails out of a fire pit is not a job that anyone enjoys. And campers with nails in their tires are even less happy. It got so bad in Jonathen Dickinson State Park in Florida that they banned pallets completely.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchase most of my firewood from a local sawmill that specializes in high end wood pallets. Waste wood is sold dirt cheap... around $30 a pickup truck. I have to load it and split the bigger pieces but you can't beat the price for oak, hickory and ash. I pick up as many discarded pallets as I can. Purchased a wrecking bar to take them apart. Cut them on a chop saw and store in plastic containers. No bark on the wood. State parks love it.
    We used to get end cuts from a local mill , a close friend worked there and the supply was endless. Some of the best burning wood we had ever gotten.
    Cooking over brazilian cherry made some mighty fine steaks and burgers.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No question wood varies at campgrounds. Out in the Smokies we bought some that was so green after 2 pitiful fires we gave it to the neighbors...couldn't start fires with it but probably ok if you had a good fire going.
    We will occasionally bring our own, but even that backfired once, but never bother to bring kindling. The chemlogs, at less than $2 a piece, do come in handy when you can't find any kindling material. Always add a dose of lighter fluid to ensure it gets off to a good start!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Tim & Sue..with pups Iris and Sam
    2019 Solitude 375RES; 2019 Ford F350 XLT Dually; B&W Companion 25K Hitch
    Previously camped with a 1993 26' Dutchman TT and 2007 Trailmanor 2720SL
    Retiring in 1.5+ years
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...pic22370_7.gif http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCVAsm.jpg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in MN the state parks don't allow any outside wood unless it is certified as being local. What they sell at the park is usually the leftovers from harvested lumber. I'm sure there is a name for it but it's the thin outside bark covered pieces. They sell it for $6/bundle and it burns quick. It's a rip off. We usually go in search of a local who is selling some.
    Timmer
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS
    2015 Ford F350, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    So long as you remove the metal from the pallets it makes great firewood. I have worked any many different state parks as a campground host, you know, the guy that cleans the campsites after everyone leaves. I gotta tell you picking nails out of a fire pit is not a job that anyone enjoys. And campers with nails in their tires are even less happy. It got so bad in Jonathen Dickinson State Park in Florida that they banned pallets completely.
    D2reid.... you would have appreciated me as a camp host. Yes, I burn pallet wood that has nails in it, but I don't leave my ashes or the nails in the fire pit. We carry a small shovel and galvanized bucket and place the contents of the fire pit in it before we leave. Usually, the campsite is cleaner when we leave than when we arrived. Over the past couple of years I have noticed a lot more trash being left behind. Some of the state parks aren't as well kept as they used to be. We do what we can to help.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D2reid.... you would have appreciated me as a camp host.
    Thank you! The majority of campers are like you. Decent people raised to be decent people. Then there are the others....

Not only do we host, but we are campers also. It is quite disheartening to pull into your reserved assigned camp site and find trash and debris laying about.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a "wood" response, per say, but the best fire starter I've ever used is cotton balls partially soaked in Vaseline. Just go to your local Walmart, Target, grocery store, etc...buy the cheapest, house brand petroleum jelly they have...get the big tub! Then, take and melt it over low heat (outside!) and dip cotton balls about half way in the solution (don't soak completely, or they won't easily light). Set 'em on a sheet of foil to cool. Bingo, you now have a starter that lights easily and will burn for 5+ minutes. Depending on what I'm trying to get lit (use 'em for charcoals in a chimney starter too) you can use one or several. When I make 'em up, I usually do around a hundred and store 'em on one of those disposable containers you take your lunch in. Cheap and effective.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't seen it mentioned here, but the best fire starter in the world is completely natural and harvested from pine tree stumps. It's called "Fatwood" and has a naturally high oil content. Starts super easy and burns a long time to get even the hard to start woods going. Once you've tried them, you'll never go back. I bought a box at this site 5 years ago and still have lots left, and I use it a lot. https://www.plowhearth.com/p/12213?a...gaAt14EALw_wcB

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast