User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malco1 View Post
    Check the equalizer manual do not use grease, and the Teflon pads defeat the purpose of the sway control. the metal on metal is how the sway control works. The noise is normal.
    If I don't use the pads I get noise from the hitch and noise from the DW. If I use the pads I don't get noise from either.

I will be using the pads unless I feel sway control has been affected. On our trip home this last Monday it was pretty windy and I didn't notice any reduction in sway control.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I turn the stereo up a little and that silences my hitch.
    I'm surprised that was not in the instruction manual.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OurNewEra View Post
    If I don't use the pads I get noise from the hitch and noise from the DW. If I use the pads I don't get noise from either.

I will be using the pads unless I feel sway control has been affected. On our trip home this last Monday it was pretty windy and I didn't notice any reduction in sway control.
    Use your head, the sway control works by using friction tame the sway, eliminate the friction and loose sway control. The sway control is not needed until it's needed and then you won't have it. It' s your life, but personally I can put up with a little noise for my own safety and the safety of others on the road.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malco1 View Post
    Use your head, the sway control works by using friction tame the sway, eliminate the friction and loose sway control. The sway control is not needed until it's needed and then you won't have it. It' s your life, but personally I can put up with a little noise for my own safety and the safety of others on the road.
    According to your logic, we should be using steel brake pads, so we would have metal to metal friction.... The point is that many materials can provide the needed friction.... The pads that EQUALIZER sells do just that.

I have used the pads for 10 years and over 100,000 miles of towing in some very nasty conditions. The pads work as designed.
    I would not grease the L brackets though, if for no other reason than the mess it would make.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Live with the noise

Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    According to your logic, we should be using steel brake pads, so we would have metal to metal friction.... The point is that many materials can provide the needed friction.... The pads that EQUALIZER sells do just that.

I have used the pads for 10 years and over 100,000 miles of towing in some very nasty conditions. The pads work as designed.
    I would not grease the L brackets though, if for no other reason than the mess it would make.

Very simply, the anti-sway works by friction between the bottom of the sprung bar and the L bracket. If you lubricate that bearing surface, you will get less noise but also, LESS anti-sway protection.

Carl

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carlmill47 View Post
    Very simply, the anti-sway works by friction between the bottom of the sprung bar and the L bracket. If you lubricate that bearing surface, you will get less noise but also, LESS anti-sway protection.

Carl
    Please reread my entire post..... Slowly.

I will try to explain it, using an extreme example.
    If more friction than needed is better, then why not go for the most friction possible? Break out the welder and weld the bars to the "L" brackets!

Whats that you say, It cannot work that way as the bars MUST slide thru the L brackets! Right O.
    But that means that it is not necessary or desireable to have more friction than is needed to acomplish the goal..... Stopping sway. So even "if" the jacket pads do reduce friction, it is irelavant, as the hitch still has more than enough friction to do it's job.

The pads that EQUALIZER sells do just that. They work as designed.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 posts said the pads were teflon. The description in Amazon says they are nylon.
    Teflon has a very low coefficient of friction ie it is slippery. It is often used to make things slide easier. If it was impregnated with some friction material then I could see it working.
    Nylon is also slippery but there are so many variations that it could have some friction qualities and could wear well also.
    So far the noise doesn't bother me, but if it gets to that point I'd try the pads.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123