User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about equalizer hitch

When we purchased our 2450RL this year I also purchased an equalizer hitch and have been pretty happy with it. However I noticed that there is some fairly loud metal on metal sounds when I have to turn sharply. It really isn't each time, and I believe it is from when the supports slide down the side in their brackets that cause this.

I have checked both brackets and there seems to be some slight galling. I don't really want to slather grease there, as it would be an obvious mess. But I was considering ways of helping that friction and was wondering if anyone had any solutions they have used. I was considering something like a teflon pad if I could find it. I am not sure how that would take a way or affect the way the hitch works.

I upgraded to an F250 Superduty from an F150 as I intend to haul across the country with the hopes of full timing. I just am taking a look at preventative care and maintenance to avoid any failures due to unnecessary friction.

Thank you1

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Equalizer actually makes a teflon pad that goes on the rear of the bars where the little L shaped clips contact them. When I had my Imagine trailer and that hitch I also but a little bearing grease in the front portion of the bars where they pivot in the
    hitch head if that makes sense. You actually can wipe a little grease on the top and bottom portion of the receiver head and it will stop all the noise. Hope that description makes sense but if you look at the hitch it's obvious where the noise is coming from.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I think I have not been lubing up the hitch correctly. I found lube points here: https://www.equalizerhitch.com/owners-guide/maintenance

I will grease those spots and see how that does.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I will look into that, and I see from their recommended lube locations what you are referring too.

Thanks

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a pic of mine that may help.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Equalizer (2).jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	30834 Basically use a little bearing grease at each end of the bars, a little is all it takes and doesn't make a mess.
    Jeff

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by microm3gas View Post
    Ok I will look into that, and I see from their recommended lube locations what you are referring too.

Thanks
    You're welcome! Yeah without a little lube it will sound like you're breaking the hitch right off every time you turn lol!
    Jeff

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea, I should have seen or thought of this earlier, bought those pads and will lube things up when I go grab from storage for my Big Bend trip coming up.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we purchased our 2450RL this year I also purchased an equalizer hitch and have been pretty happy with it. However I noticed that there is some fairly loud metal on metal sounds when I have to turn sharply. It really isn't each time, and I believe it is from when the supports slide down the side in their brackets that cause this.

I have checked both brackets and there seems to be some slight galling. I don't really want to slather grease there, as it would be an obvious mess. But I was considering ways of helping that friction and was wondering if anyone had any solutions they have used. I was considering something like a teflon pad if I could find it. I am not sure how that would take a way or affect the way the hitch works.

I upgraded to an F250 Superduty from an F150 as I intend to haul across the country with the hopes of full timing. I just am taking a look at preventative care and maintenance to avoid any failures due to unnecessary friction.

Thank you1
    You will not have any failure due to friction. The entire premise of the Equal-i-zer is to work on friction, and because you have indicated the noise is while turning it is at the bearing points on the L-brackets. It was only several years AFTER the hitch was out that they made the Teflon pads because folks didn't like the noise. The reality is, you're robbing some of the performance of the hitch by lubricating where the bars bear on the L brackets. However, regular cleaning and lubricating of the bar sockets is a must-do maintenance, and the best lubricant and rust-protection is offered by an old aeronautical lube - Boeshield T-9.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you1
    My DW was commenting about the noisy hitch. It didn't bother me because I knew it was 'normal' to a guy. I humoured her and bought these nylon pads.

https://www.amazon.com/Equal-i-zer-9...48054702&psc=1

This is my first trip with them. I'll be interested to see how it affects the sway control. IMO the metal on metal is what provides some of the sway control. With the pads there is no more noise. I do also lube the points where the bars seat into the truck hitch. I use some Permatex grey brake component grease. It's what I had.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses. I will lube the hitch and see how it goes. Just to be clear it isn't insane, but was only when I would turn sharp. Understood that the friction is what is part of the function of the hitch but also metal on metal can be bad, and the galling was worse on the one bracket.

I really didn't pay attention when it was newer however. I will know for certain this weekend.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast