Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar Panel install help - Roof material

Hi,

I'm installing four 100w Renogy solar panels on my 2020 GD Imagine 2400BH. I'm using AM Solar Rocker Brackets because of the sloped roof. Those brackets go at fixed positions (corners) on the panels. Based on available roof space, the resulting panel placement and the fixed location of the brackets, the chances of hitting a roof truss with the bracket retaining screws (for the extra support) are something less than 100%.

So now I'm wondering if I have to hit a truss to have enough support or if putting screws in where ever the panels lie is sufficient. To me, that's answered if I knew what material was over the trusses and how how thick it was.

Does any know if it's plywood that lies on top of the trusses and if so how thick?

Thanks,

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say if your trailer has a ladder to the roof, it's safe to walk on and if so, safe to use screws like I did.
    1/4" lag screws by 1" long IIRC, with washers on the renogy z brackets.
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PBrantley View Post
    Hi,

I'm installing four 100w Renogy solar panels on my 2020 GD Imagine 2400BH. I'm using AM Solar Rocker Brackets because of the sloped roof. Those brackets go at fixed positions (corners) on the panels. Based on available roof space, the resulting panel placement and the fixed location of the brackets, the chances of hitting a roof truss with the bracket retaining screws (for the extra support) are something less than 100%.

So now I'm wondering if I have to hit a truss to have enough support or if putting screws in where ever the panels lie is sufficient. To me, that's answered if I knew what material was over the trusses and how how thick it was.

Does any know if it's plywood that lies on top of the trusses and if so how thick?

Thanks,
    I had similar questions when doing my solar install. I used AM Solar rocker foot mount. Here are some commnts.

AM Solar brackets are great. Their panel attachment system is sturdy and secure.
    Did you get the correct size? Comes in two sizes.
    Are your holes pr-drilled in your panel? If not watch the am solar videos on installation.

Use the screws that come with the Rocker foot. Your roof should be 3/8”.

Do you need to hit a truss? It would be nice but not likely. If you use the screws that came with the feet, I think they were 3/4” you will not be anchoring into a truss unless you use longer screws. There are wires in your roof so longer screws may not be good unless you know where the screws are going. From reading other forums it appears the general consensus is you can put them anywhere and don’t have to hit a truss. I looked for the most solid parts of the roof to mount mine. Walk around your roof and note the more sturdy spots. I figured out where all the trusses were and marked them out with tape. I also located wires in the roof to avoid then located the panels where I felt had the most strength and leatst obstructions.

Each foot has adhesive tape on the back. I removed the tape and used used butyl tape to seal then lap sealant over the top. If you use the adhesive tape and ever need to move the foot the tape might damage the roof material. When installing mine I hit a soft spot in the plywood on the first foot and had to move the panel location slightly.

The panels I have use the 40mm foot brackets and have a stiff frame resulting in a solid installation. I have tested the panels by pulling on them and they do not move.

Hope this helps and good luck.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
    I had similar questions when doing my solar install. I used AM Solar rocker foot mount. Here are some commnts.

AM Solar brackets are great. Their panel attachment system is sturdy and secure.
    Did you get the correct size? Comes in two sizes.
    Are your holes pr-drilled in your panel? If not watch the am solar videos on installation.

Use the screws that come with the Rocker foot. Your roof should be 3/8”.

Do you need to hit a truss? It would be nice but not likely. If you use the screws that came with the feet, I think they were 3/4” you will not be anchoring into a truss unless you use longer screws. There are wires in your roof so longer screws may not be good unless you know where the screws are going. From reading other forums it appears the general consensus is you can put them anywhere and don’t have to hit a truss. I looked for the most solid parts of the roof to mount mine. Walk around your roof and note the more sturdy spots. I figured out where all the trusses were and marked them out with tape. I also located wires in the roof to avoid then located the panels where I felt had the most strength and leatst obstructions.

Each foot has adhesive tape on the back. I removed the tape and used used butyl tape to seal then lap sealant over the top. If you use the adhesive tape and ever need to move the foot the tape might damage the roof material. When installing mine I hit a soft spot in the plywood on the first foot and had to move the panel location slightly.

The panels I have use the 40mm foot brackets and have a stiff frame resulting in a solid installation. I have tested the panels by pulling on them and they do not move.

Hope this helps and good luck.
    Thanks all. Just the insight/info I was looking for

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not use the AM Solar mount - rather a mount from Renogy. The screws that came with that were way too finely threaded for the OSB that makes up the roof on my Imagine 2500RL, so I ended up using screws like these: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Not sure if it was that exact size/length but they make several different sizes. Its held up fine thus far.
    2020 imagine 2500rl; 2021 F250 Tremor 7.3
    youtube: @bobanddangsjourney

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the screws that renogy sends are not big enough for rv roofs. I use them to make the pilot holes for bigger screws...
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue