Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Potential 303RLS Owner

All,
    My wife and I are looking at purchasing a GD Reflection 303RLS. This will be our first Fifth wheel after owning a 1983 kit TT for years and while we have done much research I still have a few questions.

I have a height restriction of 12' (the height of the garage door threshold) and I know that the 303 recently changed to 12'. The dealer told me that I can just let air out of the tires to make sure I clear the threshold and then refill. To me this seems like it might damage the sidewalls of the tire?

I have seen many people comment on batteries, since I will have to purchase batteries which setup is better: two 6 volts in series or two 12 volts in parallel (I think I got the terms correct)? Our old trailer had two 12's but it was inherited.

I will be towing with a '04 Dodge 3500 SRW LB and am not worried about power, but would appreciate any advice from owners who have a similar setup and which hitch they use.

Thank you for your expertise and time, I appreciate any help provided.

Ben

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum Ben! There are a lot of 303 owners on the forum so I'm sure they will be by later to answer all your questions.

What ever you decide, you will love Grand Design.

Steve

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ben, and welcome! I'm not 100 % sure but I believe that height is without any AC units or Vent covers. Addition of those will raise the height some.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ben,

There are a number of variables that could easily add up to being slightly under or slightly over 12 ft. Not the least of which is your truck and your hitch . . . because the tallest point on the 5th wheel is at the front. You might be able to adjust your hitch down to a trailer overhang to box rail clearance less than you would tow with, but probably OK for easing the 5th wheel into the garage. I think you would want to measure your exact combination of 303/hitch/TV to be sure.

WRT batteries, many will likely advise on two 6V in series for max current storage and battery longevity. Personally, I prefer two 12V, for the simple reason that if one cell in one battery fails, I still have a source of 12V. This is not true with the 6V series set up. The means of comparison is amp hour rating. But, remember that the comparison must be at 12V. Two 250 amp hr 12V batteries = 500 amp hrs. Two 500 amp hr 6V batteries still gives you 500 amp hrs at 12V. The cost per amp hr works out about the same, for similar quality 6V or 12V batteries.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ben,

I can't give any advice this is our first 5th wheel also but so far we really like it. I'm just starting to look into a dual battery setup and I'll be watching the responses you get. It seems like airing down would be a pain every time you wanted to take it in or out of the garage. Have you measured it to see exactly what the height is?

Tommy
    Tommy & Elaine Thornton
    Manassas, VA
    2015 Chevy 2500HD Z-71 6.0 crew cab short bed
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if you have the 5th hitch yet but maybe one of the Andersen Ultimate 5th hitches would work. They're easily adjustable for height and depending on your driveway it might be possible to lower the ball height on the Andersen, hitch up and back in. Then reverse to get out. Lower the legs and reset the hitch. A little time consuming but doable. Probably take 5-8 mins. You could easily run with out the normal 6+" of bed clearance to just back in to the garage.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Letting the air out sounds like a salesman trying to make a sale to me. I would have the same concern (other than it being a time consuming pain) that it would hurt the sidewalls on the tires. It's not a great distance in or out of garage, but thats a lot of weight cutting into the sidewall when flat or real low. Hopefully somebody will have an accurate measurement for you if the unit is not available to measure yourself. By the way you will love towing a 5er way better than your TT. Good luck!
    Scott and Jan Platt Ocala, FL
    Cameron(Son) & Chica(chihuahua)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4X4, Crew Cab, Dually, Diesel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Canadianbro
    We have a 303 and love it. Going thru some "teething" issues but no show stoppers so far.

I installed two 6v in series. While you're busy installing those new batteries, check the crimps on your cables....

Paul

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had our 303 built in June of 2014. I added a low profile air conditioner in the bedroom. Also added a Maxxair vent cover in bathroom. My bathroom vent cover is actually higher than my bedroom air conditioner. I am around 12'6"-12'8". Going down the road I use the 12'8" height. I got a brochure from back when I had mine built and it says 11'11". So believe what GD says on height. I ordered mine with the Dual pane windows and glad we did. Quieter,holds cold and heat better, and No condensation on the windows.
    Not sure what your payload capacity is on your Dodge. My Hitch weight came in from the factory at 1700lbs. I tow with a 2013 GMC 2500HD Sierra 4X4 6.0 gasser with 4.10 gears. Installed AirLift rear airbags with wireless remote. Had bags installed before I bought the 303. Really don't need them but I will say it rides so smooth with the 303 hooked up. No problems at all towing. I also do not take my truck out during the winter. Trying to keep all of that salt that they use on our roads off of it. This was a bad winter for salt on our automobiles. We also have a 2013 Honda CRV so we get by with that during the winter!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just bought ours in January, we really love it, coudlnt believe how much they came off the list price.
    ours isnt wired for solar but a friend is considering the 303 and they were quoted $37k for model wired for solar and all LED lights.
    we were considering a Cougar because we wanted to get under 30' but the kitchen island and other features really sold us on the 303.
    i have a F250 diesel short bed with a slide hitch, 90 degree turing radius is a breeze.
    been on 3 trips so far and they've all been a blast.
    have fun,
    john

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast