User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ram Low Tire Pressure Warning Light

I own a 2018 RAM 2500 CTD an I have a question about the Tire Pressure warning light. The truck came with Firestone tires (not a fan of) and the manual says to inflate the front tires to 65 lbs and the rear tires to 80 lbs. When the truck is empty or when I'm not towing, the back of the truck would bounce all over the place, making for a real harsh ride. So just recently, when I'm not towing or carrying any significant weight in the truck bed I lower the pressure in rear tires pressure to 65 lbs. I noticed a significant improvement in the ride, but the tire pressure warning light comes on and I started getting emails from RAM that my truck has as an urgent tire issue. Both of which I find very annoying. Is there anyway to lower the low pressure threshold on the rear tires so I don't get the alarm? Obviously when I'm towing or going to haul anything heavy I would bring the rear tires back up to 80 lbs.

Any thoughts?

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will need AlphaOBD, a bluetooth OBDII interface module and to know the pin code of your RAM. You can then change it to what you want. Dealer service department are forbidden by policy to change it from deviating from the range around the placard inflation.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was able to lower to 70 PSI and that wil not set off the low pressure alarm.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    I own a 2018 RAM 2500 CTD an I have a question about the Tire Pressure warning light. The truck came with Firestone tires (not a fan of) and the manual says to inflate the front tires to 65 lbs and the rear tires to 80 lbs. When the truck is empty or when I'm not towing, the back of the truck would bounce all over the place, making for a real harsh ride. So just recently, when I'm not towing or carrying any significant weight in the truck bed I lower the pressure in rear tires pressure to 65 lbs. I noticed a significant improvement in the ride, but the tire pressure warning light comes on and I started getting emails from RAM that my truck has as an urgent tire issue. Both of which I find very annoying. Is there anyway to lower the low pressure threshold on the rear tires so I don't get the alarm? Obviously when I'm towing or going to haul anything heavy I would bring the rear tires back up to 80 lbs.

Any thoughts?
    I am going to watch this thread as well since I lowered my winter tires in the back to 55PSI based on load inflation tables. That is still high per the tables and rear axle unloaded weight I could go as low as 40PSI. I get the warning to service the system but I don't have sensors in the winter tires and was not an issue last year for the entire winter.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    You will need AlphaOBD, a bluetooth OBDII interface module and to know the pin code of your RAM. You can then change it to what you want. Dealer service department are forbidden by policy to change it from deviating from the range around the placard inflation.
    Great info! Since you posted this, I've watched a couple YouTube videos on this and it doesn't seem crazy hard and parts aren't crazy expensive. The only show stopper is getting the Pin Code for my truck. According to the videos that I saw, the dealer should give me the pin code for my vehicle once I prove to them that I own it. Is this true? I searched the web and there is wide array of Bluetooth OBDII interface modules, some as cheap as $14 and some over $250. Can you suggest one? I've been thinking about getting one of these Bluetooth OBDII interface modules for a while now.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great info! Since you posted this, I've watched a couple YouTube videos on this and it doesn't seem crazy hard and parts aren't crazy expensive. The only show stopper is getting the Pin Code for my truck. According to the videos that I saw, the dealer should give me the pin code for my vehicle once I prove to them that I own it. Is this true? I searched the web and there is wide array of Bluetooth OBDII interface modules, some as cheap as $14 and some over $250. Can you suggest one? I've been thinking about getting one of these Bluetooth OBDII interface modules for a while now.
    By law they have to give you the code at no cost.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OBDLink MX+

Quote Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
    By law they have to give you the code at no cost.
    To my knowledge, there is no law about such unless that the rational argument that you are the owner of the vehicle and therefore own its PIN. However, FCA has a written policy about it, and it you meet a dealer that is uncooperative you can challenge them to look up that policy on Dealer Connect or call FCA customer care and they'll communicate and realign the dealer. If you're in a bigger hurry, you can get it instantly for $15 using an app that pulls it from the BCM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania