Thread: Tire concerns

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tire concerns

Hi to all,
    This is my very first time to post on this forum. I’m brand new to the RV world as well.
    I just purchased a new 2019 Solitude 385 GK that came with G-rated West Lake tires (ST235/85R16)
    I’ve been reading a lot about West Lake tires on this forum and the general consensus seems to be change them .
    I was looking at the Good Year (LT235/85R16)
    I found out however that this West Lake tire is rated at 4,400 lbs. load capacity while the Good Year is 3,750 lbs. load capacity .
    I run back and forth from Texas to California frequently. I 40 takes you through the hottest desert on earth! I want to find the very best tire that will fit this trailer, hopefully avoiding a blow out. I hear good things about the Good Year tires but concerned about dropping that much in load capacity.
    Your thoughts?
    Thanks!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of info on here, use the search function. Most of the problems with WLakes are/were with E rated on smaller units. THe G rated seem to have less problems. That being said, I put Sailuns on my 310 after a year & sold the WL for a couple hundred.
    Hope this helps
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been running mine for 3 years on my unit with no issues. That being said I plan on replacing in my 5th year with sailuns
    John & Joanne
    2018 Solitude 374TH
    2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax CC DRW
    2001 Harley Ultra Classic

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The G rated Westlake tires are actually very good and as you've discovered, the Goodyear G614 have a relatively low Load Index rating of 126. If I were to replace my tires, I'd choose Sailun S637 in the 235/85R16 size. They have a Load Index rating of 132 (4,409lbs).
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
    Hi to all,
    This is my very first time to post on this forum. I’m brand new to the RV world as well.
    I just purchased a new 2019 Solitude 385 GK that came with G-rated West Lake tires (ST235/85R16)
    I’ve been reading a lot about West Lake tires on this forum and the general consensus seems to be change them .
    I was looking at the Good Year (LT235/85R16)
    I found out however that this West Lake tire is rated at 4,400 lbs. load capacity while the Good Year is 3,750 lbs. load capacity .
    I run back and forth from Texas to California frequently. I 40 takes you through the hottest desert on earth! I want to find the very best tire that will fit this trailer, hopefully avoiding a blow out. I hear good things about the Good Year tires but concerned about dropping that much in load capacity.
    Your thoughts?
    Thanks!
    The Westlake G rated tires (that you have on your trailer) have been good for most people, myself included. I think two key points are to inflate and keep the tires at the correct pressure (a TPMS system is a great aid) and to regularly visually check the tires for any signs of failure. Also, you will most likely age out (recommended no more than 5 years from date of MANUFACTURE. Sooner if they are stored outside and/or in hot areas) before they wear out. There are a lot of discussions (and of course, differing opinions) on the forum here. You can find them using the search function (upper right on every page).

The two most common replacement tires are the Sailun S637ST and the Goodyear G614 tires. I plan to replace my Westlake tires (no problem so far ~13,000 miles/3 years old) with the Sailun next year strictly from an age/use standpoint.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all the above help!
    I can see how valuable this forum is.
    I noticed this thread I think was posted about 2 years ago and wonder what his experience has been since his decision?

Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    Well, I finally made a decision on tires for our undelivered Solitude. I just ordered a set of Sailun S637 in 235/85R16. Load index rating of 132 - 4,409lbs. $615.49 delivered. I should be able to get $250-$300 for the factory Westlake tires on Craigs List so the net cost will be around $300-$350.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to “ bertschb”, I believe to be Brian and Kellie, I didn’t realize that you had replied above already.
    I’m a little confused being new to the forum. My apologies!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If people spent as much time worrying about tire pressure as they do worrying about brand or country of origin, most blowouts wouldn’t happen. I can’t count the number of times I’ve been behind a trailer on the road with a visibly low tire.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    If people spent as much time worrying about tire pressure as they do worrying about brand or country of origin, most blowouts wouldn’t happen. I can’t count the number of times I’ve been behind a trailer on the road with a visibly low tire.
    I totally agree with that!
    I installed a ViAir 450p behind my seat of my F-350 Crew Cab to make it easy to always have air available . I really love it an would highly recommend it! No large tank to deal with. Tied it in with a solenoid relay off the battery, switching it using one of the the Auxiliary Switches made into the truck. All 60’ of coiled plastic hose also fits neatly behind the rear Driver’s side seat and swings out on a metal arm to pull out the hose or to put back when finished.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    If people spent as much time worrying about tire pressure as they do worrying about brand or country of origin,
    Probably true. But, due to the way China has acted on the world stage in the last couple years, I will not buy a Chinese tire. No Sailuns for me. Similar to when I go to a business and receive, IMO, poor attitude. I no longer purchase from that vendor.
    Just my two cents.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997