Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Determine Sun Location

Years ago I downloaded this app to use in photography. It shows direction of sunrise and sunset from any location on any given date. While nor absoutly essential, it can give some helpful information on locating ane directing solar panels. Check it out.
    Did I mention it's FREE?

Google "the photographer's ephemeris". Or look it up in your app store.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a number of phone apps that will give you bearing and azimuth for aiming your panels.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here comes the geek inside of me.....

First, I have an app that does that on my iPhone (it's called Golden Hour.One - but there are others). Mostly I use it for sunsets & time lapse shots. I'm too lazy to get up for most sunrises.

Second, and this is the geeky part, I use it to figure out campsites sometimes to figure out which site I want when making reservations far in advance. Depending on the place and time of year I want my awning side facing the shade or sun.

Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as aiming your Solar Panels goes...

Once I found out that there are Solar Farms with fixed panels that face East and West capable of producing as much energy as Southern facing Solar Farms, I decided I would not worry about the orientation of my Solar Panels.

Here is the Science/Logic behind this: South facing Solar Panels begin producing adequate Energy a couple of hours after Sunrise and stop producing adequate Energy a couple of hours before Sunset. An hour before and an hour after High Noon, they produce their maximum Energy output for the day. If a Solar Farm has both East and West facing panels, they begin producing adequate Energy earlier than South facing Panels and, because they are facing the Sun for a longer period of the day (both morning and afternoon) they produce their maximum Energy longer than the South facing panels, they also produce adequate Energy later in the day.

Because of this I don't worry about the orientation of my Solar Panels and that is one less thing I need to be concerned with.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK