User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

300 RBTS Refrigerator Issue

Bought the new 2020 300 RBTS Sept. 1, 2020 & planned our shakedown trip 2 weeks later. Frig was turned on (on #9 ) Wednesday before leaving on Monday. Friday we were taking food out to load when I noticed the thermometer that I placed in the frig was only at 62.2 degrees. The freezer was at 10 degrees. I called the dealer for help & they suggested that I switch to LP & see if that worked. Later that day, the frig was getting down to 40 degrees so we assumed it was OK. I also called the manufacturer and they told me that since it was brand new, they would replace the unit. I called the service dept. back & they gave me an appointment for late Oct. (Very busy). The next morning (Saturday) we tried to load the food again and the frig was back to 62.2 degrees. I used other thermometers to make sure the digital reading was correct. Everyone gave me ~ 62 degrees. The service department isn't open on weekends & we were leaving Monday morning so we had no choice but to take a mini-frig with us on our 2 weeks trip. During the 2 weeks, we checked the frig temp on occasion & found it sometimes @ ~40 degrees & sometimes @ ~60 degrees. After coming home we waited until our appointment a month later. The service department took our trailer and after 3 weeks determined that they could not duplicate the problem. I asked if they had the frig turned on continuously, they didn't. They turned it on in the morning; it started cooling; they changed it over to LP; & it was cooling. I told them that it must be left on continuously for several days before it fluctuates. I told them 3 separate times to leave it turned on, but they think they know better. Anyway,,, does anyone have an idea what this could be? We are still waiting to hear from the service department after they promised to turn it on & leave it on, but I am not hopeful that it will be fixed. They said that they could not replace the unit unless it shows an issue.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Contact the refrigerator manufacturer directly. If they agree to send you a new one, have it sent directly to your home and have mobile mechanic install it and you can contact GD CS for the cost of the mobile mechanic. You could also contact GD and ask if you could work with a mobile mechanic with diagnosis and/or replacement up front.
    Last edited by Redapple63; 11-26-2020 at 08:55 AM.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it a Norcold unit? You original circumstances may have been nothing more than the unit needing a reset, which is not out of the ordinary. Also, these fridges have enormous swings because of their frost control logic, and they perform best when full because the items help regulate the temperature. The swing of the freezer is one that really gets on my nerves... You may wish to spend a lot of time on the forum and the internet as well as a whole learning the quirks of these fridges. I know there's a good YouTube video of how to get into the diagnostic mode for the fridge and reset it if you don't like digging into manuals.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really helps if you could identify the make on model which can be found either on the sticker inside the 'fridge door or the owners manual in the pouch of documents you got with the trailer. Tell us that and maybe we could go from there. Troubleshooting from afar I'm thinking you have an issue with the temperature sensor and/or the control panel. Knowing which make would help though.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I apologize for taking so long to respond to all the good replies, but the dealer informed me that they weere performing and extensive test on the frig, which by the way is a Norcold model 1210 4 door frig/ freezer combo. They plugged it in and set the temp to "9" and left it on night and day for a week. They recorded the temp and took pictures of the thermometer 3 times a day and the frig temp went down to 25 degrees for 4 days. they changed the setting to "5" and the temp changed to 38 degrees. Finally, they switched over to LP with similar results. The end result,,, nothing out of the factory specs. We picked up the trailed today and plan on doing our own indepth testing. It seems that after I told them that if we go camping next time & the frig acts up again & we lose our food and have to leave our campsite without a refund, we would seek legal help for the loses. It's a shame that it takes threats to make them listen. We'll see what springtime has in store for us. Again, thank you one and all for your advice. I'll keep you posted if something goes awry.