User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's nice to see the good conversation on this topic, for us new people to the forum and still educating ourselves of RVing this helps me (us). I'm still kicking this can down the road but I think I understand to switch to Lithium it needs to be in a weather friendly environment, new control panel and some other technical items to make this switch. If I could just switch the battery that would be to simple. Now two weeks of dry camping this season I've realized that solar panels (briefcase style) works great on sunny days. But without that and getting complaints from running a generator during approved times the stock battery may last a 36 hours at best. Upgrading is a investment and two more trips are planned yet this summer. Is there another more long lasting battery that can be purchase that is just drop in without upgrading everything else after the battery? Unfortunately the current battery was drained to no power in the trailer twice, so I'm feared the battery is toast. It would be nice to see the usage of the battery other then the indicator lights on the trailer panel.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PAPAJOJO View Post
    It's nice to see the good conversation on this topic, for us new people to the forum and still educating ourselves of RVing this helps me (us). I'm still kicking this can down the road but I think I understand to switch to Lithium it needs to be in a weather friendly environment, new control panel and some other technical items to make this switch. If I could just switch the battery that would be to simple. Now two weeks of dry camping this season I've realized that solar panels (briefcase style) works great on sunny days. But without that and getting complaints from running a generator during approved times the stock battery may last a 36 hours at best. Upgrading is a investment and two more trips are planned yet this summer. Is there another more long lasting battery that can be purchase that is just drop in without upgrading everything else after the battery? Unfortunately the current battery was drained to no power in the trailer twice, so I'm feared the battery is toast. It would be nice to see the usage of the battery other then the indicator lights on the trailer panel.
    First off, I am glad you (and others) are benefiting from our discussion, it is not a simple subject.

Next, you do not need to install your Lithium batteries in a "Weather friendly environment". The only weather issue with Lithium batteries is Freezing Temperatures, Lithium batteries CAN NOT be charged when the battery temperature is 32 degrees (0 C) or below. They will provide power, but they can not be charged. Consequently, many people who camp in areas where the temps may get below freezing (even at night) choose to install their batteries in a heated space (under the bed, in a cabinet, or a heated hold area). You also need to be aware of cold temps even if you are storing the camper and you have an active Solar system while in storage. This temperature limitation is usually not a big issue because most internal Battery Management Systems (BMS) are pre-programmed to not charge in cold temps, however if you camp in cold weather, then you might want to place the batteries inside a heated space so you have full functionality.

As far as the "other" bits that are needed to install Lithium batteries...

When you install Lithium batteries, you need to be able to fully charge them in order to get the full benefit from them. Normally, the OEM Converter that came with your camper is not programmed to charge your Lithium battery(ies) properly, consequently, you need to install a "Lithium Ready" Converter; like the Progressive Dynamics PD9160ALV.

So, if you want to start your "Lithium Lifestyle" you can simply buy your Lithium battery(ies) and replace the Converter and start Boondocking.

You also mentioned that you wanted a better method to monitor your battery usage then the LED lights in the camper. You need to install a battery monitor (like the Victron BMV 712 w/ bluetooth), this monitor uses a shunt that monitors all the electrical usage and gives accurate voltage and battery charge status. You do not need to wait for your Lithium battery(ies) installation to install your battery monitor, it will work with your current Lead Acid battery.

PS: you can simply buy a Lithium battery and "Drop it in" and it will out perform your current Lead Acid battery, however your Converter won't be able to fully charge your new battery. But, in your case, you will probably be able to fully charge your Lithium battery(ies) with your Solar panels if they have a "Lithium" setting.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great response. In addition Battleborn makes a heated battery as well as a heater that can be wrapped around the batteries that can keep the batteries in a chargeable state. Especially if you have solar the draw for the heat pads is negligible to what the panels provide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kevin & Deb. 2021 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 Diesel SRW Platinum
    Kevin and Deb. 50ST8R
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW 4x4 Diesel Platinum Edition

[/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses, does anyone know where the converter is on the 2018 Imagine BH?

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses, does anyone know where the converter is on the 2018 Imagine BH?
    The Converters are sometimes a part of the Fuse/Breaker box, other times they are often installed in the space directly behind the Fuse/Breaker box. That is where I would start.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or, if you can't get in the RV itself right away (best method), try looking it up here:

https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...y/parts-lookup
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rrlowen View Post
    I am not near the trailer right now so no pictures available yet.
    We installed 4 X 100Ah lithium batteries in the pass-through storage area and 650w of solar. The 3000w GoPower inverter and all other components are in the front storage compartment. The charge controller is Victron and I use the Victron BMV-712 battery monitor. We also carry an Onan 4500w generator but have not needed it so far. The inverter came with a remote monitor which is mounted near the main panel in the cabin and the remote for the BMV-712 is there as well. If you are familiar with the BMV-712, you know that it is Bluetooth enabled so all battery info is readable on your phone. The Victron solar charge controller is also Bluetooth. When added to the Compass Connect system, pretty much everything is controlled with the phone which I find very convenient. I understand that this is not for everyone, but it works for me. Let me know if you have any questions. I can get pictures if needed.
    We essentially have the same components though the inverter/ charger/ transfer is a Victron 3000 Quad. Our Bluetooth suite is all Victron.

It works seemlessly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12