User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disinfecting the Trailer After

So I actually contracted it and survived it. Even ended up on oxygen for a couple days there, and that was scary. But now I'm hitting the point where I have to disinfect the place before my wife moves back in.

My plan is to wipe down all surfaces with a virucide over the next couple days as energy allows, replace bedding and close the place up and run an ozone machine for hour with me not there. Am I doing overkill or not enough?
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you survived it. But as far as what you need to disinfect....I have no idea what the science tells a person to do?
    I imagine if you are fine now, so is being around you.
    Why run an ozone machine? Ozone is not for disinfecting as far as I know? Kills odours...not viruses.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Retired critical care nurse here... quaternary ammonia works well on surfaces, good hot wash on bedding, clothing, etc. Airing out well for a day would probably be more effective than the ozone machine for an hour, though. Research indicates that the virus only lasts hours to days on surfaces, so if you disinfect everything you can get to and air out, it should be good. The primary mode of transmission is airborne from person to person... surfaces not as much. If your wife can delay three days after you do these things to move back in, it would be best.

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 11-27-2020 at 07:32 AM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    So I actually survived it.
    So glad you survived it Chemist.

Safe and Healthy travels, KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear you are recovering!

It goes without saying to wash all bedding, towels and garments. The actual recommendation for an "environment" where there has been COVID19 is to close it up for 7 days. At that point, regardless of surface, the virus is inactive. This is how large hotel chains are working through this. Just search the internet and you will find the origin of this recommendation. It may be difficult for you to do this however. If so, then you need to follow the next guidance with a cleaning followed by disinfecting.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the well wishes. Based on what I'm reading, I'm opting to stick with wiping down the surfaces and then airing the place out--all the windows do make that easy

As for surviving it, I understood that having asthma could pose problems with this virus. That was the first time in my life I ever needed oxygen though--didn't even need that when I got pneumonia over a decade ago. And for those who equate it to a flu, what's weird is that this didn't feel like any flu I've ever had. It felt more like the common cold at first. It started with a little bit of sinus issue, sore throat and fever, but the body aches so typical of flu just weren't there. It did make a quick run at my chest, which most things do. What was different about this though was the daily progression of getting a little worse each day for almost 2 weeks. There were a lot of folks praying for me though, and I am sure God's grace was in it. If this didn't start turning for the better when it did, I don't know how I would have ended up.
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the well wishes. Based on what I'm reading, I'm opting to stick with wiping down the surfaces and then airing the place out--all the windows do make that easy

As for surviving it, I understood that having asthma could pose problems with this virus. That was the first time in my life I ever needed oxygen though--didn't even need that when I got pneumonia over a decade ago. And for those who equate it to a flu, what's weird is that this didn't feel like any flu I've ever had. It felt more like the common cold at first. It started with a little bit of sinus issue, sore throat and fever, but the body aches so typical of flu just weren't there. It did make a quick run at my chest, which most things do. What was different about this though was the daily progression of getting a little worse each day for almost 2 weeks. There were a lot of folks praying for me though, and I am sure God's grace was in it. If this didn't start turning for the better when it did, I don't know how I would have ended up.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. Glad to hear you are getting back to normal.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Retired critical care nurse here... quaternary ammonia works well on surfaces, good hot wash on bedding, clothing, etc. Airing out well for a day would probably be more effective than the ozone machine for an hour, though. Research indicates that the virus only lasts hours to days on surfaces, so if you disinfect everything you can get to and air out, it should be good. The primary mode of transmission is airborne from person to person... surfaces not as much. If your wife can delay three days after you do these things to move back in, it would be best.

Rob
    Another health care worker here. Rob has some good advise. Follow it and you should be fine.
    Our hospital admissions are up 60%. Staff are stretched and some are getting sick. The next two weeks are going to be tough.
    Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sounds exactly what my wife and I had in late January ... exactly. No aches or even much fever, just very tired and some lung congestion. You could hear the crackling and popping of deep mucus when breathing. Two long weeks of feeling that way, then it finally went away on its own. We never saw a doctor or went to the hospital. I'm pretty sure that was Covid but I guess we'll never know.
    2017 Imagine 2150RB
    2016 Silverado CC LTZ with 8-speed transmission

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bryancass View Post
    That sounds exactly what my wife and I had in late January ... exactly. No aches or even much fever, just very tired and some lung congestion. You could hear the crackling and popping of deep mucus when breathing. Two long weeks of feeling that way, then it finally went away on its own. We never saw a doctor or went to the hospital. I'm pretty sure that was Covid but I guess we'll never know.
    Well, unless you get an antibody test. When they are more reliable.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast