User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cracks in shower caulk

On our very first outing a couple of weeks ago I noticed that there were cracks in the caulking between the wall panels and shower pan. I have two questions. Is this likely to be considered a warranty repair? Trailer is a 2021 picked up from dealer in June 2020.
    The other question is if I have to repair this myself what type of caulk does GD use in the shower? I've read that pure silicone caulk is the best for wet applications but it will not stick to itself.

Any recommendations on how to best handle this if it ends up being something I have to take care of myself?
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 F150 XLT V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew 4x4 w/Max trailer towing package

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GD generally uses silly-cone on every gap and joint. Yes, I purposely mocked it because it is not the best nor appropriate sealant in many cases. I would suggest posting a picture for us of the issue and we could better guide you. However, I would advise you that a little caulk work is not really something you'll probably want to endure a warranty trip to your dealer over.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to contact GD and see if they will authorize a warranty repair at a local RV repair shop. I already have an appointment with them in a couple of weeks to do warranty repair on my refrigerator. They are an authorized Dometic repair facility and I'm hoping GD will let them take care of this issue at the same time.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 F150 XLT V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew 4x4 w/Max trailer towing package

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally, there is no caulk between the floor pan and the side wall panels, for a reason.

There is a lip on the floor pan that extends up behind the wall panel. It is usually left open to allow air to circulate back there in case water gets in from the top (or anywhere) and can dry out.

Could be that your dealer caulked it. I would call them and ask them first.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Generally, there is no caulk between the floor pan and the side wall panels, for a reason.

There is a lip on the floor pan that extends up behind the wall panel. It is usually left open to allow air to circulate back there in case water gets in from the top (or anywhere) and can dry out.

Years ago in a house I tried sealing the wall and pan joint....nothing that you could use will seal, or prevent mildew.
    As stated, their is a lip for a reason. Last time I sealed that joint, was before I sold the place....lol

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post

I beg to differ or there may be several installation methods. I had to strip out the top of the two piece shower in my unit because it was installed so sloppily and the attending dealer didn't want to do anything more than put in a few expansion rivets. There is a double sided tape strip between the lip of the pan and the sidewalls. This makes a seal to prevent moisture getting up behind the sidewalls. We know how luan loves to hold moisture, grow mold and fall apart. Since GD sent me plenty I took time and effort to seal things up better. There are two strips of sealing tape now and they do a much better job of holding the sidewalls firmly to the pan's lip.
    If you look using double sided tape is common installing two piece showers and bathtubs in homes as well. Because the holes were there I had to reinstall the expansion rivets previously put in. I used DAP Dyna Max Ultra to seal everything. It comes out of the tube white yet cures clear. Some guys that install kitchen counter tops clued me in on it.
    My guess on the "caulk" the OP speaks of is there because like mine the top piece wasn't installed correctly and the sidewalls are bowed out at the bottom. My advice to the OP is to take pictures and push GD to reinstall the shower correctly.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 11-27-2020 at 04:42 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.