User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to Properly Store Diesel Vehicle to Avoid Fuel Issues?

I store an 2019 F-350 diesel outside in Colorado four or seven (Covid) months yearly and would like to minimize diesel fuel related issues. Possibly related is I do not know if older fuel affects life of fuel pumps.

Currently while in storage I drive truck every three weeks for 40 miles and top off tank, in the neighborhood, before parking. I am considering using Sta-Bil Diesel to keep fuel stabilized. At this rate, fuel would average about five months old after seven months of this routine.

Getting an idea what other users do during diesel truck storage would be useful and interesting.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Modern emissions compliant diesels don't like to be idle. Modern diesel fuel is more prone to biological growth. Consider an antifungal/biocide treatment if it must remain sitting so long. The DEF will probably be more of an issue at such duration in Colorado cold. Taking it out weekly, to get it up to temp and sustained, would be easier on things if that is possible.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    The DEF will probably be more of an issue at such duration in Colorado cold.
    geotex1--what is the issue with long DEF duration in Colorado cold? Possibly frozen DEF and regens?

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimtheToolMan View Post
    geotex1--what is the issue with long DEF duration in Colorado cold? Possibly frozen DEF and regens?
    DEF turns into a slush around 12 degF. While it's not a big deal for the DEF itself, your DEF pump and injector may not favor the stress of trying to move it. Also, it expands ~7% when frozen, so you don't want a totally full tank in the Colorado cold. DEF systems do have heaters in them that run in the cold weather at startup, but I don't know how Ford has programmed its system to deal with such insofar as potential affect on the pump and injector.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plug in block heater at 0F -18C minimum of 4 hours.
    Plug in block heater at -20F -29C minimum of 8 hours.

20F -7C = Cloud Point
    = CFPP Cold Filter Plugging Point

-
    Do not use anything with alcohol in it. Alcohol is a great cleaner but reduces the life of injectors. Water is also bad for injectors.
    -
    No metal,
    No alcohol,
    No Emulsifiers, disperse water into the fuel so it goes into the engine to be burned.
    Yes Demulsifiers, make water particles larger and easier to catch in the water separator.

-----
    Stanadyne All-Season Performance Formula,
    Stanadyne 38565 16 ounce bottle. Stanadyne 38564 8 ounce.
    24 ounces/45 gallons Below Zero. Above Zero 12 ounces/45 gallons.
    16 ounces/30 gallons Below Zero. Above Zero 8 ounces/30 gallons.
    Cetane, yes.
    Demulsifies.
    No alcohol.
    https://promo.parker.com/promotionsi...ves/us/en/faqs
    https://promo.parker.com/parkerimage...-Additives.pdf

-----
    Howes Diesel Treat Diesel Conditioner and Anti-Gel.
    Howes 103064 15 ounce bottle
    18 ounces/45 gallons Below Zero. Above zero 9 ounces/45 gallons.
    12 ounces/30 gallons Below Zero. Above zero 6 ounces/30 gallons.
    Cetane, no.
    Demulsifies.
    No alcohol.
    http://www.howeslube.com/

-----
    Highdesert
    Reflection 297RSTS 2021 - Chevrolet K2500 Duramax LBZ 2007
    https://www.epgsoft.com/visited-stat...100&format=png

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimtheToolMan View Post
    I store an 2019 F-350 diesel outside in Colorado four or seven (Covid) months yearly and would like to minimize diesel fuel related issues. Possibly related is I do not know if older fuel affects life of fuel pumps.

Currently while in storage I drive truck every three weeks for 40 miles and top off tank, in the neighborhood, before parking. I am considering using Sta-Bil Diesel to keep fuel stabilized. At this rate, fuel would average about five months old after seven months of this routine.

Getting an idea what other users do during diesel truck storage would be useful and interesting.

I don't recall off hand what the restrictions are for storing def but I know they are there. Read the bottle that would tell you. They have restrictions on temperature high and low. They also have a time limit for how long it can be stored. I no longer buy any in advance because I know in the back of our truck when the cover is closed it would get too hot for it. Don't do the cold anymore but I remember not being able to leave it sitting in the real cold either.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trucks have heaters for the DEF so the truck will eventually get DEF, once it's thawed. I just make sure my DEF tank isn't full during the winter so there's room for expansion as it freezes.

I just parked our truck for the winter for the first time (sniff...) and what I did was changed the oil, topped up the fuel tank, add biocide and anti-gel to the tank, drove a few kms to get it into the system, parked the truck on boards and put the battery on a maintainer. And took the insurance off it (except for comprehensive). That's it until sometime in April.
    2020 Solitude 380FL with B&W Companion 20K hitch
    2018 GMC Sierra Denali HD 3500 DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of good information in below links that is not referred to in associated text.

Ford Ford (general engine and not diesel specific) Start the engine every 15 days for a minimum of 15 minutes…until the engine reaches normal operating temperature.
    • (also B5?) Biodiesel fuels degrade more easily than diesel fuels not containing biodiesel …should not be stored in the fuel tank > 1 month. If …more than 1 month, empty vehicle tank of biodiesel fuel. …fill tank with a pure petroleum-based diesel fuel …

Cummins/RAM: Cummins …best to start the engine once a week if conditions permit, and idle for 3-5 minutes…long-term storage of the engine without any maintenance measures, the danger of sudden start…
    RAM see pg 132 Fuel Oxidation Stability — Must Use Fuel Within Six Months Of Manufacture

GM GM see pg 32 If the vehicle is not driven often and uses little fuel, or if it is stored for extended periods of time, avoid the use of biodiesel blended fuels above 5%. When the vehicle is stored for longer than one month, it should be run out of biodiesel to below one-quarter tank, refueled with biodiesel-free fuel, and driven several miles before storage. Oil will be changed within a couple of months of storage.

Mercedes-Benz-Sprinter
    Drive every two weeks. MB see pg 10/11 (last page) Vehicles not driven 4 weeks plus. …tank … filled with conventional ULSD fuel maximum B5… can minimize fuel aging. ..not be parked sun. Higher temps can make bio age faster. When vehicle idling is not possible during and after the storage, MB may have to change fuel system parts and pump out tank.

VW 2014 If your vehicle will be in storage (or not driven) for several weeks or months, completely fill tank. If possible, fill the tank with Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel fuel [ASTM D-975 Grade No. 2-D]

I will likely increase driving to every two weeks and use biocide. If I don’t take a long camping trip by February I’ll just do some really long drives and burn off much of fuel in tank. As mentioned by geotext1, but in different words, diesel idling has numerous negative consequences. It is really difficult to find out if local pump fuel has any bio since there is no marking on local pumps and diesel up to B5 may not be indicated on pump. Fuel filters will be changed the sooner of yearly or 15,000 miles due to towing >1000mi/year and off season light use/storage. Engine oil will be changed within a couple months before storing.
    Last edited by TimtheToolMan; 11-30-2020 at 07:05 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    I don't recall off hand what the restrictions are for storing def but I know they are there. Read the bottle that would tell you. They have restrictions on temperature high and low. They also have a time limit for how long it can be stored. I no longer buy any in advance because I know in the back of our truck when the cover is closed it would get too hot for it. Don't do the cold anymore but I remember not being able to leave it sitting in the real cold either.
    There is a shelf life on DEF.
    Retired SF Sergeant Major
    Retired Sheriff's detective

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe, what might be considered "diesel (conventional ULSD fuel)" can contain biodiesel and what commonly is called Biodiesel would be diesel >5% (B6-B100)

"Blends of B5 or less were incorporated into the diesel fuel standard, ASTM D975. Up to 5% biodiesel can be blended into No. 1 or No. 2 diesel fuel."
    Last edited by TimtheToolMan; 12-02-2020 at 03:21 PM.