User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just remember. In sub freezing temps you need to run the furnace to keep everything warm in the belly.

I am curious though - what brand and models of the small electric heaters are folks using, and do this oil filled ones have a fan on them?
    Thanks
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Just remember. In sub freezing temps you need to run the furnace to keep everything warm in the belly.

I am curious though - what brand and models of the small electric heaters are folks using, and do this oil filled ones have a fan on them?
    Thanks
    Good point on the belly. It's too bad my thermostat doesn't have a "furnace fan" setting - that could be used if you have enough electric heat.

My oil-filled heater looked like an old-fashioned radiator, no fan. It makes no noise and puts out an even heat. It takes space though, so I won't get one for my current rig since we don't plan winter use. I'll take along my little Westinghouse HC-0179 ceramic 750/1500 watt 9"x6"x6" guy. It has a basic thermostat, puts out a lot of heat and has a fairly quiet fan.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're partial to ceramic heaters with fans. They heat up fast and spread the heat where we want.

We've had a Pelonis Disc Furnace for years (like over 15) and although the fan is a little noisier than when new, it works great.

I noticed Pelonis doesn't make them anymore. They might show up as Comfort Glow Disc Furnace, or just "Disc Furnace" without the word Pelonis. We got one of those last year because we thought it was the same as the Pelonis as it looked just like it - NOT. It burnt up a connection last month and now we are afraid to use it. So we're back to just the Pelonis. I wouldn't recommend the brown "Disc Furnace".

We did just buy a small Lasco ceramic heater at Sams and will try it on the next trip. We only got it because it is quieter than the old Pelonis; and it was pretty inexpensive.

I took the pelonis apart and gave it a good cleaning, blew out the dust, cleaned the fan, etc. It works as well as it did when brand new except for the fan noise and it puts out as much heat as the old Pelonis. There are lots of internet stories about ceramic heaters loosing their heating ability after a few years. I think that is just what it is - internet noise. Keep the dust out and it work great.

We put it on a cookie baking sheet turned upside down so it doesn't sit directly on the floor. We set it on medium high and it keeps the camper at about 65 on a cold (45 and above) night. I set the furnace to come on at 63 degrees in case the Pelonis doesn't keep up. We just run the furnace in the morning to get things back up a bit. The we use the electric fireplace for supplemental heat along with the Pelonis. Sometimes we use the heat pump if temps will stay above 50 at nite.

We've had nights in the mid 30's (only a few) and this has worked for us.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for supplemental heat, I've gotten my best heat from quartz heaters. I used an oscillating quartz tower heater when I wintered in Colorado Springs and it worked well. It's critical to note that my RV was skirted then. If it's going below freezing, and my RV is not skirted, I won't supplement. In that case, I only use furnace because I don't want frozen pipes.
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Thanks
    We use Pelonis oil filled radiator heater. It has 3 settings (low, med, & high) and a separate dial for the thermostat. Keep in mind the single pane windows have an “R” factor of 1. Our Reflection 297RSTS TT has lots of windows and skylights, so most of the heat generated by any heater is dissipating just as quickly as it’s made.

Our solution is to cover all the windows with double bubble reflective foil insulation and the skylight with reflective insulation cover. We cut the bubble foil insulation down to size and slide it in between the window and pull down shade cover. The heater is placed in our bedroom on low setting with the thermostat on medium. On this setting it pulls between 4 to 6 amps for heating. It keeps us toasty warm down to 45 degrees ambient temperature. The heat setting probably needs to be turned up for colder nights. The window and skylight insulation covers will make a big difference on heat retention, energy savings, and living comfort.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9310569C-94B3-4DFD-B0BC-05A784952955.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	762.9 KB 
ID:	31073 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	274FA71A-4D19-452F-B34F-B803D7F16515.jpeg 
Views:	12 
Size:	833.5 KB 
ID:	31074 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EB4A1955-A63A-48E3-9752-1ACCFD574A3A.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	965.6 KB 
ID:	31075 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B3ECE369-2DE6-43CD-9652-1B7DC1FE148F.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	31076
    Kevin & May - Baltimore, MD
    2018 Ford F-250 Platinum FX4 Diesel
    2019 Grand Design, Reflection 297RSTS
    2016 CVO Harley Davidson, Road Glide Ultra

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use an oil filled 1500w heater in my Solitude to assist getting through the Colorado winter. I placed it in front of the fireplace. If I need a heat boost I turn the fireplace on and the blower pushes ALL the warmed air around nicely.
    2018 Ford F450 dragging a 2020 Solitude 310GK-R through the Rocky Mountains and to Corpus Christi and back.

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the cost of use varies much between (reasonably modern) space heater types. The efficiencies are about the same, and kW per BTU doesn't vary much. What they do is deliver heat in different ways. The open-radiant ones "throw" heat at a target but heat a room slowly. The convective ones (like oil filled) radiate heat into the area and warm the room without focusing it on any one spot. Choose the type that heats the way you need it to generate comfort. I have a tiny one with radiant coils and a fan that would probably cost a fortune to use in heating any but a very small room. However, pointed under the desk, it keeps my feet and legs warm even though the room remains on the cool side - which I can tolerate as long as my tootsies aren't frizzed. No need for the expense and trouble of a whole-room heater, or to run the house heat much higher. But you should do your own research on www.hvacguides101.com.
    Last edited by roccor; 05-03-2021 at 12:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An oil-filled heater is certainly the safest in the tight quarters of a trailer, and they do put out the same amount of heat as any 1500W heater (as noted) so they're the best choice for a trailer. A blanket or towel falling on an ordinary radiant heater during the night could easily start a fire - I wouldn't use a radiant heater of any kind in a trailer. You should run only one 1500 W heater with a 30-amp connection. You may be able to run two of them with a 50-amp connection, but only if neither is on the same breaker circuit as the microwave or any other power-hungry gadget. Don't overload any circuit - wiring in a trailer may be the minimum allowable size and it's not good practice to depend on the circuit breakers to avoid overheating. 1500 watts is about 13 amps, about all that a circuit with a 15 amp breaker can handle.

It takes awhile to warm the oil in an oil-filled heater, so turning it on early is a good idea, as noted.

Here's a possible method to set things up initially: When it's moderately cold out (40-50 degrees): 1) Run the oil-filled heater and the furnace simultaneously long enough to warm the trailer thoroughly to the temp you like. 2) Then, turn the furnace thermostat down a degree at a time, allowing time for the furnace fan to shut off at each setting, until it cuts off at that comfortable temp -- then turn it down two more degrees. 3) Adjust the oil-filled heater thermostat such that it keeps things comfortable by itself. Experiment for awhile to find the good settings. 4) Mark that setting on the oil heater's dial and set it to that position whenever you use it. Same idea with the furnace. You have it set correctly when the furnace turns on only occasionally, when the oil heater can't keep up with the heat loss at cold outdoor temperatures. If the two thermostats are set to temps that are close to each other (with the furnace set a bit lower), the trailer's temp will drop a degree or two as the oil heater loses the heating battle, then the furnace will kick on and the trailer temp will still be comfortable. You'll probably have to experiment a bit more to get it right, over time.

The general idea: When it gets too cold out for the oil heater to maintain the trailer's temperature, the furnace should be set to turn on and make up the difference. This is also a good method in near-freezing situations, since the occasional furnace operation should keep the tanks warm enough as it turns on and off.

At temps much below freezing, it's best to heat with the furnace only, to be sure enough heat is getting to the tanks. With only the oil-filled heater running, no heat is being blown into the "basement" and the tanks could drop to nearly the outside temp.

The comments above about sealing the trailer (find air leaks by running a vent fan and feeling for cold air leaking in), and covering the windows and ceiling vents ("tiny-bubble" bubble wrap is great for this since light can still enter), make sense, especially if you're settling in for awhile at a cold location. Don't tape, stuff or seal anything that will interfere with operation of the slide, though. You may forget it's there when it comes time to leave.

Remember that moisture builds up quickly in a trailer's small volume. Don't seal the stove vent, and use that vent fan whenever cooking. It's also a good idea to run the bathroom vent occasionally to remove excess humidity, and especially whenever using the shower. Open a distant window a bit when doing this, to allow dry outside air to replace the wet inside air quickly. It's smart to carry an inexpensive humidity meter to watch the trailer's humidity; 35% is generally a good start, although the colder the outside the lower the inside humidity should be, to prevent condensation in the walls and "attic". If the humidity is regularly too high, you may need to slightly open a ceiling vent and a window to allow some dry air to enter constantly.

Take all this with several "grains of salt", and consult your own trusted expert about these ideas before proceeding with any of them, please.
    Last edited by bobm380; 05-09-2021 at 06:39 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good info Bob.

I have noticed that the first day in camp, the rv structure is cold when we get to camp in the winter here in western Oregon. It could be close to freezing or as warm and 45*F, but wet. We run the temps about 5* warmer on the first day and then back it off the next day.
    We run 1 cube heater in the bathroom on low almost 24 / 7. We also have an oil filled heater in the front pass-thru and it too is also on the low setting with the thermostat set at 65 or so. The fireplace does not have a low setting, so I set it for 72.
    The furnace is set to 68* at night and lower in the daytime.
    If it's going to be close or below freezing, we have a small milk-house heater and set it on low also. It's plugged into the washer outlet and sets in the kitchen of our Solitude. The kitchen is in the middle of the rv and is the cold spot.
    Each rv has it's own little quirks. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use both cube and an oil filled. The cube takes off the chill and when it's quiet time, the oil filled takes over. Oil is quiet, the cubes not so much...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast