Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: heat pump

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heat pump

Hi all....i am negotiating a deal on a new 369...it has a heat pump...is this good or bad...only get into really cold weather by accident...thx..,bo

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wish I had a heat pump. If the temps are cold and you have hookups, you can heat the inside without burning propane. Of course, the fireplace will heat it too, but not quite as fast. I'm not sure of the temperature range of a heat pump, but once the ambient temperature gets below a certain level, I don't believe they will heat. In that case, you can use your propane furnace.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    General rule of thumb of heat pump is they start losing efficiency around 40 degrees, but still work down to around 20.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Jim . . . wish we had one. Particularly when changing parks frequently, the electricity is included in the site rental. Also agree with offtohavasu on efficiency. Have never had a RV heat pump but have exactly this experience on a residential unit.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, me too. I wish I knew they were available when we got our rig. They are nice but they do take some getting used to. They blow out air that is cooler than 98.6 degrees (Body temp) so they can feel like the air they blow is cool. 90 degree air feels cool across your body but they do warm a couch real nice -- if you can get used to they cooler air temp.
    Dean and Cindy
    2014 337 RLS
    Firestone Ride - Rite Airbags
    Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear what you're saying about having a heat pump, but what about using ceramic heaters instead. We've kept the camper comfy with one ceramic heater and the fireplace with night temps just below freezing. Best thing about them is that they're $20 - 30 to replace. My issue is running the propane furnace to keep the underbelly and storage area to prevent frozen lines. I'm hoping to set-up a manual furnace fan operation to circulate heat from the fireplace and heater(s). My thoughts if the electrical service is part of the site fee, I'm not going to be shy about using the amps available.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dave,

You make a good point about the small and really inexpensive ceramic heaters. We have one for the bedroom and in addition to the fireplace, these two can keep the living space comfortable . . . but, I run the furnace because this is the only way to heat the plumbing space. So . . . a ceramic heater in the plumbing space behind the basement wall might accomplish the freeze protection ?? Something to consider . . .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heating the utility space in the basement is not a problem...could even accomplish that with a 100W light bulb or two. The issue is more with heating the underbelly piping and tanks which can only really be accomplished with the heating duct system. The hardest part in what I'm proposing with manual furnace fan control will be accessing the furnace...haven't seen any way to easily reach it.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some food for thought. I have been considering placing one or two remote temperature probes in the underbelly, to see what the actual readings are. It has been on my bucket list for quite some time. This recent forum may give me the motivation to do that.

Gord and Janet Fuchs
    Presently at Lost Dutchman State Park
    Arizona

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    What is the up-charge for the heat pump option? I didn't order them either because I use ceramic heaters and the fireplace but if the cost isn't too prohibitive, why not? I love options! The more the better
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast