User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Storing Lithium Batteries During Winter

I disconnected the negative side on my Lithium batteries.

Will they be ok if I left them in the trailer during the winter or should I pull them and bring into the house?
    Allen & Denise
    Ford F350 Lariat CC SRW SB 4x4 Diesel
    2018 Solitude 310GK R

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yobigal View Post
    I disconnected the negative side on my Lithium batteries.

Will they be ok if I left them in the trailer during the winter or should I pull them and bring into the house?
    I don't have lith's but I remove mine and keep them inside. Once a month I put a charge on them. Never have any problems with them.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the Battle Born website:

"The storage temperature range is -10°F to 140°F. We recommend bringing the Battle Born Batteries to a 100% charge and then disconnecting them completely for storage. After six months in storage your batteries will remain 75 – 80% charged. Storing batteries in subzero weather (-15°F or more) has the potential to crack the ABS plastic and more importantly could cause a faster loss of capacity, in some cases drastically more than the typical 2 – 4% per month loss."
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. I think to be safe I just bring them inside.
    Allen & Denise
    Ford F350 Lariat CC SRW SB 4x4 Diesel
    2018 Solitude 310GK R

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might be my OCD that lead me to search for this topic here, having already read the Battleborn guidelines for winter storage. Here in southern New England, dead-of-winter lows are generally in the single digits, highs in the 20's - 30's. On occasion we can get a cold stretch down to about zero for a day or two. I've never seen it below -5 (neglecting wind chill) in the 18 years we've been here.

Yet I too will likely bring the batteries inside out of an abundance of caution. It's not a big deal for me to remove them (and easier to do it now instead of middle of January!).
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    It might be my OCD that lead me to search for this topic here, having already read the Battleborn guidelines for winter storage. Here in southern New England, dead-of-winter lows are generally in the single digits, highs in the 20's - 30's. On occasion we can get a cold stretch down to about zero for a day or two. I've never seen it below -5 (neglecting wind chill) in the 18 years we've been here.

Yet I too will likely bring the batteries inside out of an abundance of caution. It's not a big deal for me to remove them (and easier to do it now instead of middle of January!).
    Just this year the midwest had record lows reaching -31 F. Safe to say it was too cold for any batteries.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker View Post
    Just this year the midwest had record lows reaching -31 F. Safe to say it was too cold for any batteries.
    Not even close to too cold for lead-acid batteries. They can handle down to around -90F.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokensalem View Post
    I don't have lith's but I remove mine and keep them inside. Once a month I put a charge on them. Never have any problems with them.
    You shouldn’t top them off like that. Lithium batteries age faster at full charge or very low charge in storage than they would if being used because of deterioration of the anode and cathode. You want them at a mid-level SOC while not being used for best life.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Not even close to too cold for lead-acid batteries. They can handle down to around -90F.
    Sure, they can "handle" the temperature, they just don't work well. According to Lifewire, lead-acid batteries drop in capacity by about 20 percent in normal to freezing weather, and down to about 50 percent in temperatures that reach about -22 degrees Fahrenheit.
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R
    Factory Solar, Factory Disk Brakes, Heat Pump

2017 Reflection 29RS (Sold)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker View Post
    Sure, they can "handle" the temperature, they just don't work well. According to Lifewire, lead-acid batteries drop in capacity by about 20 percent in normal to freezing weather, and down to about 50 percent in temperatures that reach about -22 degrees Fahrenheit.
    But that isn’t permanent, and this thread is about winter storage. Cold storage is far better for lead-acid batteries than warm temperatures.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast