User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Furrion 12v fridge issues

Just got a new 2021 Transcend 261BH. Fridge will not get colder than 40 degrees. Dealership has had it as long as I have. They are saying the fridge is bad but is 6 weeks to get a new one. Anyone else have issues???

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, but we avoided 12v fridges since we like to boondock a lot. If you are always plugged in they should be fine, but if not, maybe consider going to an old fashioned propane fridge?
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just brought home our new 2021 Transcend 297QB with a 10 cu. ft. Furrion 12V fridge. It certainly gets cold. On max setting it will get below freezing in the fridge and -7F in the freezer. However, two observations don't seem right:

1) cooling cycles last longer than I would expect. I'm seeing normal (not initial start up) cooling cycles last ~3 hrs. This is without opening doors, about 1/4 full of food, and ~65F ambient temperature inside and outside the trailer.
    2) fridge and freezer temperatures get higher than I would expect before next cooling cycle begins. I've seen the fridge as high as 45F and the freezer as high as 32F before cooling cycle kicked in.

From a cursory check, the seals look in good shape and appear to make good contact all around. I've put in a request to Furrion support to check this behavior, but I don't expect a quick reply with the holidays upon us. I am curious how this compares to other people's experiences with these fridges.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First thing after checking door seals, would be to check airflow in the back. A very big issue on the multitude of Norcold and Dometic units out there.

Make sure the gaps and distances in the back are per spec. and no extra airspaces that could cause turbulent airflow. Addition of thermostically controlled fans to promote fresh airflow across the coils is a popular fix, but check the installation first...

Good luck and keep us informed. Some pics would be helpful too.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    First thing after checking door seals, would be to check airflow in the back. A very big issue on the multitude of Norcold and Dometic units out there.

Make sure the gaps and distances in the back are per spec. and no extra airspaces that could cause turbulent airflow. Addition of thermostically controlled fans to promote fresh airflow across the coils is a popular fix, but check the installation first...

Good luck and keep us informed. Some pics would be helpful too.
    Thanks for the suggestion, Redapple. Installation instructions indicate only 1/4" is need in the back for wiring and all air flow is out the bottom. Vent on the bottom is unobstructed. I removed the grill to double check, and seems clear underneath, as well. Still waiting to hear back from Furrion. I'll follow up after the new year, if I don't hear anything this week.

I did geek out a little and purchased 2 cheapo thermometers that log data so I could see what that temperature profile looks like in the fridge and freezer. And these graphs confirm what I was observing with individual data points. The cooling cycles last several hours, and then several hours elapse before the next cooling cycle allowing for pretty significant temperature swings (see attached images). For comparison, I put these same thermometers in the fridge/freezer in the house and observed more what I would expect...more frequent and shorter on/off cycles, so smaller temperature swings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9441.PNG 
Views:	41 
Size:	228.5 KB 
ID:	31355Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9442.PNG 
Views:	34 
Size:	228.6 KB 
ID:	31356

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be more concerned with the humidity levels. That promotes frost and icing up, and is also in my opinion indicative of an air leak, most likely from the seals. You also have a 13 deg spread which while in itself is typical of this style refrigerator, coupled with the humidity is not a good sign.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree the RH levels are higher than I would have expected. I did hear back from Furrion, and they indicated it sounds like the thermostat is bad. So, back to the dealer I go for some warranty work. I'll have them check the seals as well. Thanks for the input.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any update on your 12v fridge? Would you select DC fridge again or go back to AC/Propane?

thanks

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought a MK200 2 months ago and the Furrion fridge quit working altogether. Dealership said it's shot and would take 14-18 weeks! Told them that was completely unacceptable. Came back in an half hour and said they were going through another manufacturer and it should be less than 2 weeks. That was a week ago. We'll see.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update on my defective Furrion fridge. Bullyan RV was able to find and install a new fridge in under 2 weeks. Turns out the original never functioned properly. It was very loud and took forever to cool even when new. New fridge is quiet and cools of very quickly!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast