Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lift from the U bolts, not the tube.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over the past 40+ years of RVing....I carry 6x6 blocks of wood and a heavy-duty bottle jack so I can always lift on the frame. I have seen shops lift on the U bolt on the axle, but that can be hard to get a large floor jack under. Only once when I was getting all four tires changed out, the shop used a forklift and put the RV on large blocks on each corner of the frame. Try to always lift on the frame if possible.
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    Well, I'll be the first to say it. I use the hydraulic jacks to lift the trailer. If I'm taking off both tires, I'll back it up with a jack stand, but I can't see how any jack on the planet is safer than the hydraulic system that can easily lift the entire trailer and also is designed to keep it lifted indefinitely. I stopped even carrying a jack big enough for the trailer, can't imagine a reason I'd need to pull both tires at the same time on the road, so just use the hydro, lift up that side, pull one tire, replace it, keep going. I did my ComfortRide install that way too (although, as mentioned, I did use a jack stand that time because I was home and had them right there).
    I am with Overtaxed on this - I use the hydraulic jacks to lift the trailer. I did the same as he did, used it to lift the trailer during my ComfortRide install, and only used the jack stands as a backup because I was home. As he noted the jacks are designed to lift the trailer and keep it in place, so I feel it is the best way to lift for any amount of time. I know it is not recommended, but I am sure that is for liability reasons, not any technical reason.

On my 381M I can actuate the jacks individually from my smartphone. No worrying about jack points and I am safely away from the trailer in case something goes wrong. It is safe and easy to do.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please keep in mind not all rigs have leveling jacks. My rig has lippert stabilizer jacks that I would never trust my life with.

Good solid hydraulic jack with jack stands.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewwi View Post
    Seems that using a section of angle iron to contact both ubolts would serve the same purpose and is simpler than fabbing a saddle to match the diameter of the axle and fit between the ubolts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That's what I did. A piece of 2" angle iron about 5" long. This was welded to a small piece of 1 1/2" pipe that fits over my bottle jack.

My concern with using the hydraulic leveling jacks would be the slim chance of a hose rupture. As long as jack stands are used as a backup no concern. The electric leveling system may be safer.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I contacted Grand Design and the correct jack points are on the I Beam just before or after where the springs are attached. That said your jack must be pretty high or you have to elevate the jack.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I would rather jack on the U-bolts than risk tweaking the frame by jacking at one spot on the frame and putting a huge strain at one point. JMO of course.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with the Hoop. With my way of thinking, I'll be jacking at the u-bolts. The frames themselves aren't super strong either....and by lifting at the ubolts, the frame is seeing the same kind of stress that it normally endures. Or supposed to be able to endure. lol.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    That's what I did. A piece of 2" angle iron about 5" long. This was welded to a small piece of 1 1/2" pipe that fits over my bottle jack.

My concern with using the hydraulic leveling jacks would be the slim chance of a hose rupture. As long as jack stands are used as a backup no concern. The electric leveling system may be safer.
    The electric leveling on my trailer has lifted one side of my trailer off the ground once, but that resulted in a bunch of error codes. The system doesn't like lifting the tires off the ground.

I use a 4x4 on top of a jack at the u-bolt location.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Personally I would rather jack on the U-bolts than risk tweaking the frame by jacking at one spot on the frame and putting a huge strain at one point. JMO of course.
    When I did the CRE3000 I did the frame one side at the furthest corners until the closest tire was off the ground then jackstand. Then to the other farthest corner to get the adjoining tire off the ground and then jackstand. Frame looked pretty robust to handle the divided coach weight.

When I needed to take a tire off for a slow leak, I used these I Beams in front of the shackle. No concern there either. They look beefy as well.

I also would have no concern at the U Bolt either to get a single tire off the ground.
    Randy and Kris

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast