Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Adding Fuel Capacity to my Tow Vehicle

I have a 2013 Ford F350 that I'm towing my Reflection 337 with. One very frustrating detail is the small fuel tank that Ford elected to put in the short bed model. It's only 26 gallons. I get 11.7 mpg on average towing our rig. That give me a maximum range of just over 300 miles By the time I've towed about 225 miles, I need to start searching for a fuel station that can accommodate 55 feet of tow vehicle and fifth wheel. In some communities, that is very difficult to do. I'd much rather get a full day of towing in, get to camp, disconnect, and then fuel up. So I've been researching replacement fuel tanks to increase my range. I found a Transfer Flow tank that is a direct fit in my truck and holds 50 gallons! That means I can tow around 585 miles before running out. Since I usually tow around 300 miles in a day, I won't need to fill up while hitched up any more!

So I bought the new tank from Transfer Flow via their website. It arrived 7 days later by commercial truck. It was well packaged and included everything I needed to install it. The price was $909.97 plus shipping of $150. I found a promotional code for $50 off, so the total bill was $1009.50.

I called around, and most of the authorized installers charge $350-$400 to install. Being a cheapskate, I elected to do it myself. It took me about an hour to drop the old tank this afternoon, and I'll finish the install tomorrow. If you have decent mechanical skills, It's not too hard to do. Since Transfer Flow tanks are made in the U.S.A, the instructions are actually written by someone with English as their first language! I can understand them, and they leave nothing unanswered. In fact, they even posted a video on YouTube of the exact installation I'm doing.

Here's a picture of my old tank on the right, and my new tank on the left:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tanks.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	1571

For any of you contemplating replacing your tank, here's a link to the YouTube video to give you an idea of the task:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmjHWFZgh0s

I'll post more pictures tomorrow when the job is done. The final step will be to fill out the new Tire and Loading Information placard that Transfer Flow provided so I can derate my payload capacity. Due to the additional weight of the fuel tank and fuel, I'll lose 298# of payload.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Jim, I'm following this thread with great interest. If there is one thing I dislike about our truck, it has to be the fuel capacity. Thanks for documenting your install.

Steve

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Steve - Your '12 will take the exact same tank as my '13. It fit's 2011-2015 models.

Jim

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Jim, I went with a Transfer Flow auxiliary tank / tool box combo. I wanted even greater capacity. Now I carry 66 gallons between the OEM tank and the Transfer Flow. I average 12.5 mpg towing my 337RLS so that gives me 825 miles. I chose that route because I wanted a tool box anyway and the replacement tank options for the Chevy weren't as good if I remember correctly. I've had this for 4 years now. It is automatic and I never have to do a thing. My buddy, who has a Ford, did as you did though and likes it too.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am assuming your F350 is a Diesel. I have a F250 Gas and it also has the 26 gallon tank. I have looked for a replacement tank for well over a year and thought I had found a solution with the Titan Tank replacement, however Titan tells me the replacement tanks are only rated for Diesel. Does anyone know of any options I have to upgrade my tank?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Jim, I'm assuming since we both have the Lariat package we must have close to the same accessories. Does the fuel gauge or the "miles to empty" function have to be recalibrated?

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve and Cill View Post
    Jim, I'm assuming since we both have the Lariat package we must have close to the same accessories. Does the fuel gauge or the "miles to empty" function have to be recalibrated?

Steve
    Yes it does. In fact here is the instruction to do it, in case the dealer doesn't know how.

Fuel Tank reprogram instructions

Btw here's how to reprogram the computer
    And these are the instructions for your dealer to reprogram your DTE

This may be helpful to your dealer:

Fuel tank MTE update

1) Ensure IDS is at least version 72.xx - current version is 72.04.
    2) Click on the toolbox icon at top left of main screen
    3) Select 'Module Programming' - click checkmark icon
    4) Select 'Programmable Parameters'
    5) Select 'Fuel" - click checkmark icon
    6) Select 'Front Fuel Tank - (IC) = xx' on bottom of parameter list
    7) Select 50 (or whatever size you need) on right side of screen and click checkmark icon

Follow the remaining on-screen instructions

Most dealers will charge an hour worth of labor (it only takes 10 min to do this) and the labor rates differ. I found a dealership that did it for me for $89.00

Now remember this is for the mid-ship replacement tanks. Not for transfer tanks.
    Stephen & Nikki

2013 Ford F-250 SRW w/Firestone Ride Rite Airbags, B&W Companion Hitch,
    Titan XXL 50 Gallon Mid-Ship Fuel Tank and Viair Onboard Air.
    2015 Grand Design Momentum 350M
    2009 Club Car Golf Cart
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TENN22 View Post
    I am assuming your F350 is a Diesel. I have a F250 Gas and it also has the 26 gallon tank. I have looked for a replacement tank for well over a year and thought I had found a solution with the Titan Tank replacement, however Titan tells me the replacement tanks are only rated for Diesel. Does anyone know of any options I have to upgrade my tank?
    Hi TENN22,

I think you will be hard pressed to find any aftermarket tank supplier willing to step up to a gasoline application. The OE "plastic" tanks are actually very sophisticated multi layer HDPE for a bunch of safety reasons. Have you tried talking to a knowledgeable Ford dealer about a larger OEM tank ? I think they build with the smaller tank to save weight, not because of space restrictions.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Stephen (GD350M). Thanks much for those programming instructions. I'll print that out and take it to my dealer so they can reprogram. I knew it could be done, but had no idea how.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks Stephen for those instructions!

Steve

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast