User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post
    Something else to consider - starlink is coming along and is supposed to serve lattitudes <45 deg sometime early this year.
    I'll switch to Starlink as soon as it's available to me but my understanding is they won't make it available to mobile users initially. They currently require a fixed address. Sooooo, mobile users will have to wait a bit longer.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    Sooooo, mobile users will have to wait a bit longer.
    True that. Here's a pretty decent article outlining the issues with mobility including 100w for powering the transmitter.
    https://camperreport.com/starlink-internet/
    signature

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It became available to me yesterday, so I'm going to try it out. I'll specifically be looking for reasons that I *can't* use it in my Momentum.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	152541338_10217994673115541_8901239094223665676_o.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	32217
    signature

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It became available to me yesterday, so I'm going to try it out. I'll specifically be looking for reasons that I *can't* use it in my Momentum.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	152541338_10217994673115541_8901239094223665676_o.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	32217
    GAAAAAA! Let us know how it goes! I'll be working remote when we go full time and will need a reliable high-speed internet connection. Right now, I've been designing around a Verizon/AT&T/T-Mobile load balancing system, which, in monthly costs, is going to set us back around $400.00. The thing is that I really need that redundancy and stability. If Starlink is all that and is mobile friendly, depending on the amount of juice it will require to run, I'm all in when it come around for me.

My biggest concern is the power it will require, primarily for the dish. For a sticks-and-bricks install, they are using wall transformers to power both items. (I haven't been able to locate anything on the amperage or voltage of the adapters.) I do know the dish is using power for the heating element inside of it so snow and ice does not gather on it. I think they are using a resistive heating element design that will eat batteries up if you are boondocking without some way to keep the batteries charged (inverter/generator or solar). Which leads me to wonder if power for the dish is really necessary. Or if they some an amplifier receiver in the dish, which would necessitate the need for power to the dish.

As you can tell, I have a bunch of questions that I would like the answers to, but I don't think anyone is willing to open up their dish to answer them. (I honestly don't blame anyone that didn't want to open their dish!)

The final, minor item that I haven't found an answer to is how much the dish weighs and how much the modem weighs.

Questions, upon questions, upon questions. Ugh. The quest for knowledge!

(Sorry about going if the rails for a bit there...)

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    As you can tell, I have a bunch of questions that I would like the answers to, but I don't think anyone is willing to open up their dish to answer them.
    That is exactly why I ordered this.

I'm 1/2 expecting people here to rail on me .. "it's not portable", "you have to be in a cell", "you have to give it a street address", "it uses too much power", "you have to aim it", "it needs 100 deg open sky" .. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rant.gif 
Views:	57 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	32221 (did I cover everything?)

I started a basenote that I'll use as a blog - feel free to subscribe to it.
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...link-beta-blog
    Last edited by jjbbrewer; 02-20-2021 at 10:52 AM.
    signature

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is exactly why I ordered this.

I'm 1/2 expecting people here to rail on me .. "it's not portable", "you have to be in a cell", "you have to give it a street address", "it uses too much power", "you have to aim it", "it needs 100 deg open sky" .. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rant.gif 
Views:	57 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	32221 (did I cover everything?)

I started a basenote that I'll use as a blog - feel free to subscribe to it.
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...link-beta-blog
    Lol! You are going to get a boat ton of questions from me! Don't know if you will be able to answer them, but I'm sure you will give it your best shot!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raife1 View Post
    So I installed the Pepwave MAX Transit CAT 18 cellular modem and Puma 401 antenna with an AT&T plan. After 2,750 miles from central Texas to Sacramento, CA and part way to Las Vegas i can declare victory on having reasonable reliable internet in the tow vehicle and trailer. The router is mounted on the inside of the front cap in my "closet" and reaches the kids in the tow vehicle no problem. They did two days of virtual distance learning at 65 mph with video (receiving,I had them turn off broadcast to preserve bandwidth). Then were times when we were in the middle of nowhere without cell signal, but in general it worked great.

I tapped into the 12V power to the USB ports in my bed cubby so it would run while being towed.
    Attachment 30946
    Hi, I am new to the forum and just read your thread above. I just recently purchased the Max Transit CAT 12 router and have not purchased a 7-in-1 antenna yet. I'm curious about your antenna install (where you drilled through the roof, etc). Also, if you don't mind my asking, who did you purchase your AT&T plan though and how much bandwidth did the plan come with?

Thanks, Larry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12