User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just the two of us and it's enough for us.
    2022 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    2023 North Point 310RLTS
    MSG Retired Army

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. Our 2016 Solitude has the Suburban 12 gallon hot water tank. The hot water we were getting was not hot enough...even my wife complained...and at home if she can't stand under "hot-water-only" she complains that I have the tank set too high! There is a hotter temp switch that we purchased which is suppose to raise the temp by 20 degrees. It now appears hot enough and closely matches the gas heated temp as well.

There are only the to of us in our RV. We both turn the water off while washing or just turn it down to a trickle. Although we could probably take back-to-back showers, we almost never do. It seems wiser to give the heater a chance to catch up between showers. When the hot water runs out you get little warning!

One more caveat... Most all of the RV shower heads have a shut-off with which to 'pause' the water while soaping up. However, and there's as an RV video out there to prove it, the cold water seems to have more pressure than the hot, so when you shut off the water at the shower head the cold water forces its way back up the hot ware line towards the tank. This means that when you turn the shower head valve back on, expect a few seconds of purely cold water (this is why I leave it at a trickle). There are two choices: 1: make sure the head is pointed at the wall when restarting the flow, or 2: Install a check-valve in the hot water line so the cold water can't push it's way back up the hot water line. You'll be fine with 12 gallons...
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12 Gallons is a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by the old one View Post
    The rig that we are looking at has a 12 gallon hot water heater. There are only two of us. Is the 12 gallon tank normally sufficient or should we look into a tank less unit.

Thanks
    If there is going to be any problem, it will be with your holding tank. 12 Gal is a ton of hot water, but your holding tank won't be able to hold more than two or three showers, if that. So if you're going to be taking long, hot showers, you might consider opening the drain to the holding tank first.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once again, I'm way late joining this one...

There are a few inventions that history will never forget: The wheel, sliced bread, electricity and long hot showers.

I love a long hot shower, but when I'm in the RV I just got in the habit of taking a navy shower and I don't feel like it is a sacrifice. With just DW and myself we have never had a problem with 12 gallons of hot water. An rv style clothes washer uses about 8 gallons total per cycle so the the hot water part should not be an issue with a little bit of planning.

This is an an RV. It's not a house. For us, when we decided to go full time we knew there would be sacrifices. This one is not even on the list. That being said, when I get to a place where I can do it (hotel, campground bathhouse, etc) I'll use 50 gallons of water in a shower to make up for all the navy showers.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've enjoyed reading this thread; interesting to see the variety of experiences. I was really surprised to read a comment about someone with a 12 gallon Suburban (same heater I have) that was experiencing water that was not very hot. My experience is the exact opposite. My water is "coffee hot" right from the tap. Nice thing about that is, I have to add so much cold that I increase my water pressure and use less hot water.

Put one more vote into the, two of us and we never run out of hot water. I'll add that I take my time and enjoy long hot showers too. Agree with the comments on holding tank being the limiter. I use a portable tote when not on full hookups.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234