User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cart Before the Horse

Hi all, Been reading the forum for a few months soaking in the plethora of information these post provide. My dark secret is I'm not a grand Design owner "YET". I hope this will not get me boosted from the forum before I have an opportunity to inundate the masses with my inane questions. After I research to see if the question has been asked before (I've noticed this can be a bit of a thorn for some members) I retire in a little over a year. Our current towable sanctuary is a Highland Ridge Open Range Light 275RLS. I began looking for the perfect 5th wheel last year. I wanted space for the motorcycle, an outdoor kitchen, and while this may seem an odd criteria, I don't want to have to turn my head to view the TV. Long story short, my research led me to either a Fuzion 410 or a Momentum 376THS. Honestly, it was a close battle until GD moved the entry door behind the slide to allow access to the bathroom and bedroom with the slides in. - That, and the kitchen. I spent the first wave of Covid deployed to Kuwait. When I returned home in September, I found the inventory pretty slim. All this to say, I have yet to actually tour a 376THS in person. Our nearest dealer expected delivery of one in October, but it has yet to arrive, so I'm getting my "fix" here and the GD website. I'm also shopping for a new truck to pull my dream sanctuary. F350/450 or 3500 DRW. have yet to decide on manufacturer. Partial to GM, but I don't owe them any loyalty so my search continues and will be a topic of one of my first posts. maybe I'll title it "which is better?" then get some popcorn and watch the truck bias unfold.
    Thanks for letting me in. - Mike

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum, there are plenty of non or yet to be GD owners here, no worries. You'll probably get a lot of recommendations for an F450, I say go for it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum Mike!

You don't need to own a Grand Design RV to participate here. Lots of super knowledgable folks here with lots of opinions :-)

You've made a smart decision to get a dually to pull a toy hauler. That will eliminate all worries about your payload and you can focus on deciding which RV you want. Many people buy 3/4 ton trucks and then start looking at 5th wheels that far exceed the payload rating of the truck.

Have fun researching trucks and RV's. There are a TON of threads on this forum discussing every RV subject you can think of so get a comfortable chair, do some searching and settle in for some looooong reading sessions. You could easily spend weeks reading about hitches, tires, dual pane windows, generators, solar systems, batteries...you name it!
    Last edited by bertschb; 12-01-2020 at 02:09 PM.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2019/2020 Ram’s switched to the CP4 fuel pumps(also found on the Fords). Those pumps have been problematic. Ford is fighting a lawsuit currently. GM went with a different pump in 2017(Denso) due to the CP4 issues in prior year GM trucks.
    I follow several Ram truck forums and every day I see a new owner reporting catastrophic pump failures. Parts backordered 3 months.
    I don’t think its a big widespread problem but occurs with enough regularity I’d be very hesitant to drop 70-80k on a truck Ram is still trying to fix. And i’m a Ram owner myself.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's what I am going to advise with the truck, and at this point the Big 3 all make more than capable specimens to drag the toy hauler, BUT a consideration you should NOT shortchange is with regard to the comfort if you plan on moving that sanctuary around North America. The Big 3 interiors are vastly different and some I view as downright uncomfortable, but I'm also 6'-5" and 285#. You need to make sure that driver's seat is what you'll want to sit in for long runs. That the ergonomics are good so you feel at-ease making adjustments while you have a serious rig in tow. That you have the storage for all the needs on the road - compressor, triangles, flashlight, extinguisher, etc., etc. For a long stretch after the C/Ks, GM interiors were downright laughable for instance... So, yep, you want a big snarling diesel with a capable transmission gobs of payload and geared such that you're not the chump hold up miles of traffic trying to surmount an 8%+ grade - given. However, when you saddle that king of beast its way better when it's disciplined and well-mannered!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Here's what I am going to advise with the truck, and at this point the Big 3 all make more than capable specimens to drag the toy hauler, BUT a consideration you should NOT shortchange is with regard to the comfort if you plan on moving that sanctuary around North America. The Big 3 interiors are vastly different and some I view as downright uncomfortable, but I'm also 6'-5" and 285#. You need to make sure that driver's seat is what you'll want to sit in for long runs. That the ergonomics are good so you feel at-ease making adjustments while you have a serious rig in tow. That you have the storage for all the needs on the road - compressor, triangles, flashlight, extinguisher, etc., etc. For a long stretch after the C/Ks, GM interiors were downright laughable for instance... So, yep, you want a big snarling diesel with a capable transmission gobs of payload and geared such that you're not the chump hold up miles of traffic trying to surmount an 8%+ grade - given. However, when you saddle that king of beast its way better when it's disciplined and well-mannered!
    Thanks geotex1 - With everything else to consider, I don't think a comfortable backside ever entered my mind? My Sierra 1500 is pretty comfortable on long drives, but my wife's Acadia is a moving torture chamber. I'm 6'2" #220 myself. This will definitely be on top of the list during my test drive phase.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauced Hog View Post
    With everything else to consider, I don't think a comfortable backside ever entered my mind?
    Ford has "Multicontour" (massaging) seats. It sounds like a gimmick (like the "massage" theater seats in our Grand Design Solitude) but they actually work really well. I'm not sure if GM and RAM offer this but having heated/cooled/massage seats while towing is pretty nice :-)
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone else has addressed the TV issues. Welcome to the forum and the family!
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target: