User Tag List

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about your truck makes you biased?

So I'm looking at trucks. The fiver I plan on getting (376THS) demands a one ton DRW. My research has been on the Big 3 websites, YouTube, and here. I plan on starting my test drives soon starting with the top models. I have no brand loyalty so I'm wanting to compare apples to apples to keep the assessment fair. Ram 3500 Limited, GM 3500 Denali, and Ford F350 Limited. Though I will probably also look at the F450. I'll look at ride and features to decide if I really "need" all the bells and whistles?
    For now, I'm looking with no cost restriction. I'm actually trying to NOT look at the prices. I'm aware the price of a new DRW is about the same as the gross domestic product of some small countries so I'm trying not to dwell on it. I'm curious if it really does come down to bias?
    Assume for a moment, I don't know anything about HD trucks. Ok, don't assume, I don't. What I have learned from my research is ALL of them will pull my desired camper. Ford may be able to get the rig to 60 MPH 5 seconds faster with the RPM's one tick lower than Dodge or GM, but who would really notice? Ford and GM's 10 speed transmission would be cool. Ford has a really neat full sunroof, but I don't plan on sitting in the back to enjoy it. GM has about 15 mounted cameras that can show me the truck from space, but I have a hard time keeping my single backup camera from getting dirty. Ram has a 31K hitch that comes with its tow package. Cummins "is the best damned diesel engine made" but Allison transmissions "can't be beat!" GM's hood is so big it's like "looking down the deck of an aircraft carrier" but has an awesome heads up display. Does it really boil down to amenities?
    For all you DRW owners out there. What was it that made you decide? What bell or whistle did it for you? Ride, price, turn radius, 12 inch infotainment screen, seat, sunroof, radio, camera, look, style? Or was it Horse Power, Torque, Fuel mileage, Maintenance schedule, or cost? FWIW, I'm leaning toward the GM simply because of body style and my current 2015 1500 Sierra hasn't let me down yet. But the Ford and Dodge have appeal as well for differing reasons. I appreciate any insight, thoughts or stories to aid in my quest.
    Thanks - Mike

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauced Hog View Post
    So I'm looking at trucks. The fiver I plan on getting (376THS) demands a one ton DRW. My research has been on the Big 3 websites, YouTube, and here. I plan on starting my test drives soon starting with the top models. I have no brand loyalty so I'm wanting to compare apples to apples to keep the assessment fair. Ram 3500 Limited, GM 3500 Denali, and Ford F350 Limited. Though I will probably also look at the F450. I'll look at ride and features to decide if I really "need" all the bells and whistles?
    For now, I'm looking with no cost restriction. I'm actually trying to NOT look at the prices. I'm aware the price of a new DRW is about the same as the gross domestic product of some small countries so I'm trying not to dwell on it. I'm curious if it really does come down to bias?
    Assume for a moment, I don't know anything about HD trucks. Ok, don't assume, I don't. What I have learned from my research is ALL of them will pull my desired camper. Ford may be able to get the rig to 60 MPH 5 seconds faster with the RPM's one tick lower than Dodge or GM, but who would really notice? Ford and GM's 10 speed transmission would be cool. Ford has a really neat full sunroof, but I don't plan on sitting in the back to enjoy it. GM has about 15 mounted cameras that can show me the truck from space, but I have a hard time keeping my single backup camera from getting dirty. Ram has a 31K hitch that comes with its tow package. Cummins "is the best damned diesel engine made" but Allison transmissions "can't be beat!" GM's hood is so big it's like "looking down the deck of an aircraft carrier" but has an awesome heads up display. Does it really boil down to amenities?
    For all you DRW owners out there. What was it that made you decide? What bell or whistle did it for you? Ride, price, turn radius, 12 inch infotainment screen, seat, sunroof, radio, camera, look, style? Or was it Horse Power, Torque, Fuel mileage, Maintenance schedule, or cost? FWIW, I'm leaning toward the GM simply because of body style and my current 2015 1500 Sierra hasn't let me down yet. But the Ford and Dodge have appeal as well for differing reasons. I appreciate any insight, thoughts or stories to aid in my quest.
    Thanks - Mike
    I don't have a DRW truck bit a SRW truck but will give you my opinion anyway as I don't think the extra couple of wheels make much difference. We drove all that you will be looking at and ended up with a RAM 3500 for the following reasons.
    1. Cummins Diesel engine and reliability. This may have taken a bit of a hit with the new Cummins due to the dreaded CP4 fuel pump. So far ours has been good but just like Ford and GM (not anymore though with Denso pump) there have been some issues with this pump. Just do a search for CP4 and that may make up your mind to go with GM.
    2. RAMs interior is second to none in our opinion.
    3. HO Cummins comes with the Aisin Heavy duty commercial 6 speed transmission which is extremely reliable. The 10 Speeds from Ford and GM are new so no info on reliability yet.
    4. RAM based on fuelly also had the best unloaded mileage.
    5. RAM had the best ride unloaded as well from what we found. Ford was close but we found we didn't like the GM ride at all.
    6. RAM fit into our garage which was a bonus for us as it was not quite as long as the Ford or GM.
    7. I had problems with previous non truck Fords and Ford would not stand behind the warranty. Also CP4 issues are well documented with Ford not covering under warranty and trying anything to get out of it. GM just covered and no issues. So far RAM is covering without issues.
    8. Added point - RAM actually has room to work on the engine. Ford and GM have zero space for any work and in Fords case the cab needs to come off in some cases. Not so with RAM. I do my own oil changes and other maintenance and RAM is the easiest one to work on due to actual room under the hood.

Just my .02 for what it's worth.

Rob
    Last edited by Calbar; 12-01-2020 at 02:46 PM.
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great thread, this will bring out brand diehards lol. I'll start and keep it simple, I've always been a Ford guy and have had more F150's than I can count, loved them all. I've only been into the Super Duties the last 3 years and duallys for the last 2 years. My '20 is my first F450 and I'd say don't bother with the F350, the price walk is small. I read a report from Ford last week that for 2019-2020 Ford owns like 65% of the commercial truck market share. After towing with the 450 I see why. I figure they really know what they're doing with these big trucks. Nuff said Oh and the cameras from outer space was hilarious! My 6 cameras only go to 60,000 feet but my truck will back itself and big Bertha into a campsite every time with 2 fingers and a little knob
    Last edited by Txfivver; 12-01-2020 at 02:49 PM.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about your truck makes you biased?

Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    Great thread, this will bring out brand diehards lol. I'll start and keep it simple, I've always been a Ford guy and have had more F150's than I can count, loved them all. I've only been into the Super Duties the last 3 years and duallys for the last 2 years. My '20 is my first F450 and I'd say don't bother with the F350, the price walk is small. I read a report from Ford last week that for 2019-2020 Ford owns like 65% of the commercial truck market share. After towing with the 450 I see why. I figure they really know what they're doing with these big trucks. Nuff said Oh and the cameras from outer space was hilarious! My 6 cameras only go to 60,000 feet but my truck will back itself and big Bertha into a campsite every time with 2 fingers and a little knob
    Love it! Great thread. For me it all comes down to personal preference. I used to be a ford guy all day long, had one of the first Superduty V10’s. Loved that truck. But when the newer models came out, didn’t like the new Ford interior. Can’t really put a finger on it. Sorta felt too much like a car to me. That probably doesn’t make any sense though.

I never have liked GM vehicles as the interior feels cheap to me. (I guess interior is a theme for me.)Was never a Ram guy but fell in love with the 2016 RAM 2500 SRW Cummins.

I don’t think anyone could go wrong with any of the big three. Many people I speak with would love to see a Cummins paired with the Allison transmission. For me, the 68RFE is running just fine. I surely would love a brand new RAM, but yeah....GDP in my household would have to triple for that to happen!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rgkeaney; 12-01-2020 at 03:03 PM.
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    I did a "not so scientific" study of the last 5 campsites I've been to. looking around, the parks are primarily Ford, then Ram, and finally Chevy. The F450 is a beast! The turn radius alone makes me interested, but I have concern about the commercial tires. How difficult are they to get repaired if you have a blow-out in the middle of nowhere? Will any tire shop work on them? Do you have to buy them from a special dealer? Another question I had was the ride compared to the F350 unloaded? Negligible difference or is it like riding a buckboard down railroad tracks? back up assist too huh? If i can find one I'll take it for a spin. Thanks!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve owned them all. I have no brand loyalty at all. I chose based a lot on the dealer service department.

I have no use for the nearest Chevy service department. They don’t listen when you tell them what is wrong. Just one instance Of many: I told service the truck shook when it got warm and then idled like at a stop light and I thought it was the fan. Picked it up and the ticket said. “Checked idle RPM. Good” Still shook, so I made another trip of 40 miles to the dealer and took my salesman for a ride so he could see what was happening. Talked to service and turned out the tech just idled it in the parking lot for a couple of minutes and didn’t notice anything.

The nearest Ram dealer leans heavily toward commercial trucks and is hard to get an appointment.

The nearest Ford dealer service has just been great to deal with.

Chevy took a second knock because my 2000 Silverado 1500 (Which I loved) rusted through on both rocker panels at 6 years old and 90,000 miles. Parts alone were $1200 per side. Ran into a guy later who had the same thing happen on his 03 1500 while it was still under warranty. My two previous vehicles before that had been Chevys, but I still can’t get the nerve to try them again.

Ram takes a second knock because I think their bed is just too short to consider pulling a 5th wheel. 4” doesn’t sound like a big difference, but I think it’s a problem.

So I went with a Ford because I want a vehicle that will minimize headaches. Things may go south, but I’m playing the odds. My next truck may be any of the three.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm stayin' out of this one!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a close friend that was a fleet mechanic with much experience with heavy duty trucks. His favorite was always the Chevy although certain years always had issues. He was OK with Fords too but his company always stayed away from RAM. But since he has been retired for a few years trucks, manufactures, and technology has moved on.

As such, last year he was deciding between a Ford and Chevy. For him it came down to which was available to him; but he was shopping for a 2016 model since the power and drive train on either manufacturers 1 ton truck. He was sticking to earlier models simply because they are lower, have more than adequate power, and most likely would get better fuel mileage than the re-tuned engines producing more HP but less fuel economy. He got a 2016 Chevy.

I chose between GMC, Ford and RAM based on Consumer Reports reliability. Al-be-it they were based on 1/4 ton models. I narrowed it down to GMC or Ford. It simply came down to which had more "creature features" at the time - Ford won out - this time.

Bottom line - get what you feel comfortable in - they are all equally and will get the job done as far as power & towing ability.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I'm stayin' out of this one!
    Lol wimp! We Ford guys have to stick together Brian! GM RAM
    Jeff

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauced Hog View Post
    I did a "not so scientific" study of the last 5 campsites I've been to. looking around, the parks are primarily Ford, then Ram, and finally Chevy. The F450 is a beast! The turn radius alone makes me interested, but I have concern about the commercial tires. How difficult are they to get repaired if you have a blow-out in the middle of nowhere? Will any tire shop work on them? Do you have to buy them from a special dealer? Another question I had was the ride compared to the F350 unloaded? Negligible difference or is it like riding a buckboard down railroad tracks? back up assist too huh? If i can find one I'll take it for a spin. Thanks!
    The 450 rides a little harder yes, but it's not a deal breaker. It's mostly due to the commercial higher PSI tires, let 10 pounds out when not towing and you're golden. You can also get them repaired at any discount tire type shop.
    Jeff

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast