User Tag List

Thread: Wi-fi

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wi-fi

I’m looking for suggestions on Wi-Fi while out camping. I’m only a weekender but I need wi-fi as much as possible. I don’t want to spend a lot of money...I was thinking something like a Verizon jet pack along with possible Signal booster? [emoji2373]

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Matt, Trish, Conner & Ethan
    2022 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 Ram 3500 Laramie
    Both Retired USAF

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjlebsa View Post
    I’m looking for suggestions on Wi-Fi while out camping. I’m only a weekender but I need wi-fi as much as possible. I don’t want to spend a lot of money...I was thinking something like a Verizon jet pack along with possible Signal booster? [emoji2373]

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh there are so many threads discussing wi-fi options. I would recommend using the 'search' function - white box top right corner of screen.

If you are a weekender I would recommend a Mi-Fi, Jetpack, etc . . . That is what I use. I would recommend Verizon as they seem to have the best coverage. You may want to add a MIMO Antenna to the mobile device similar to this one on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-60004...s%2C170&sr=8-4

That would be the most COST EFFECTIVE method for a weekend warrior. Another option could be Nomad Internet and their mobile service with no limits. Depending on your internet service at home there are some that use the Nomad Internet service and also use it when they are in their home in place of cable or dsl service. This one has a higher hardware purchase cost and a higher (maybe double) monthly service fee. I think it is around $149.00.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As @OurNewEra suggested, you can search the forum for the (probably) hundreds of threads on this topic. You can also do some research and get some expert information here:

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is one idea.... Of course, it assumes WiFi is good at the campground you are in. But the guy knows his stuff.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Starlink will be a game changer for RVers once its up and running. In Canada, data is so much more expensive. I'm still anxiously waiting to become a beta tester. Although I have to admit, cell coverage has really improved over the years.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjlebsa View Post
    I’m looking for suggestions on Wi-Fi while out camping. I’m only a weekender but I need wi-fi as much as possible. I don’t want to spend a lot of money...I was thinking something like a Verizon jet pack along with possible Signal booster? [emoji2373] Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We have two different boosters and MiFi devices from Verizon and AT&T. Heads up, cell signal boosters rarely improve the performance of data devices like these. The boosters are typically single-channel devices whereas data devices are typically dual-channel.

The devices work very well when they have a decent signal. External antennas for them like the one recommended by @OurNewEra (which we have) do help noticeably and I too recommend them, but they don't give night-and-day improvements in weak signal areas. If you're planning remote travel far from cell towers don't expect magic.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    If you're planning remote travel far from cell towers don't expect magic.
    Yep! You can't boost what isn't there. Zero boosted 100 times is still zero.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have an unlimited data plan on your cell phone I suggest tethering it to a computer. Do not use the hot spot provided on the phone as that is most likely limited in data. By tethering in a sense you are bypassing, the provider is seeing it all as data received by the phone. This doesn't mean you will get unlimited data but it will be a lot more than allowed with the phone's hot spot. I've used PDA net+ for years now having bought a lifetime subscription. If you look there are several features to utilize connectivity. I use a laptop as a modem of sorts as it has USB C, USB 3.0 and HDMI out to connect the phone and other devices.
    If you can't get service on your phone you probably won't do any better on another wireless device but you would get a good idea of what works for you.
    http://pdanet.co/
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 12-04-2020 at 07:37 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.