User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    It’s a colossal waste of money, don’t buy the factory solar!
    If you are expecting it to power your RV while off the grid, this is true. If you want to charge your batteries on travel days and when your RV is in storage, it works great.
    Last edited by bertschb; 12-03-2020 at 08:50 AM.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We got quotes and was ready to schedule getting solar plus Battle batteries installed. We had quotes from 15,000.00 to 18,000.00 for a really nice setup. My wife vetoed the install till we did some more boondocking and see how we would use the setup. Our current setup is 6 ea 6-Volt batteries, 2000 Watt Inverter, and an 8000 Watt diesel generator in a Class A coach.

We did a lot more boondocking this year and really like it and spent about 30 days total. We Found that if we run the generator for 1.5 hours in the morning while we have coffee and again in the evening it keeps our batteries at or above 60% charge level (SOC). We found that if we shut off the generator when “Bulk Charge” is complete we have about 85% To 90% of full charge and that will last 12 hours without falling below 60% SOC. The diesel generator burns about .75 gallons of diesel per hour at full load at a cost of about 5 bucks worth of fuel per day or 150 bucks for 30 days / a year. The advantage of Class A is that we have a 100-gallon diesel tank with up to 75 gallons usable for the generator.

The decision of not doing Solar and only doing Battle Born batteries is most of the boondocking in order to be comfortable we need A/C which unless you have a huge solar system running AC for 8 to 12 hours is hard to do off of batteries. Running generator and A/C keeps the batteries charged. We are going to do Battle Born batteries this spring and no solar. We store indoors with 50 amp hookup but if I was going to store outside I would put 300 Watt solar just to keep the batteries charged.

I’m sure a lot of people don’t agree with my logic so feel free to poke holes in it.

PS. Just a friendly hint - if you going to run your generator while boondocking don’t park next to someone with a 15,000.00 dollars solar setup because you going to piss him off.
    Last edited by CWSWine; 12-03-2020 at 10:42 AM.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post

I’m sure a lot of people don’t agree with my logic so feel free to poke holes in it.
    Not at all, with you having an onboard generator simply enhancing your Battery Bank makes a lot of sense.

You will find that the Battle Born Batteries charge up in almost no time (compared to Lead Acid) and they will out perform the LA batteries you have in your coach now.

The more Boondocking you do, the more installing a robust Solar System makes sense. If you have a convenient way to re-charge your Lithium Batteries you don't need a Solar System.

PS: You didn't mention how many Battle Born Batteries you will be installing, but, my guess is you will not need to run your Generator every day, maybe every other day.

PPS: are you a member of Escapees? If yes, they have an excellent discount program available from Battle Born Batteries.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    It’s a colossal waste of money, don’t buy the factory solar!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I dunno. I paid 1540.00 for the factory solar. For that I got a turn key setup. I am expanding it to 540 watts for minimal $$ and effort. Buying the parts alone (inverter, panel, controller, wiring etc.) would cost close to what I paid.

Now if you really want a much larger system, then yes, don't waste the money
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would research solar power for rvs on the internet before taking the plunge. Google Will Prowse who is a very knowledgeable young man on this stuff. He has lots of videos on diy solar and solar generators. Make sure to determine your power needs so you get the right controller, solar panel array sizes, and batteries to meet your power demands. Like people have said, if u plan on using A/C u need a lot bigger system than if you just need batteries kept charged. This is why it is wise to have a system that can be expanded in case your needs change. Have fun!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    The factory system CAN be expanded up to 550 watts without replacing the controller, or wiring.
    The trick is finding a good match in panels. I could not find such a match to get to the 550 watt limit.
    I was able to find 120 watt panels that matched up if I ran 2 in series. As soon as my unit gets out of the dealer (warranty work) I will be doing the upgrade.

We boondock 100%, and have been doing this for many years on extended stays without solar... Just using Honda EU 2000s to recharge. We do not expect to eliminate generator usage, just reduce the run time andshift the time of day of gen use.
    It’s okay to over panel a controller. You just don’t want to exceed the max volt or amp ratings of the controller. During the suns peak the controller will just ignore the surplus above 550 but during non-peak sun times you’ll get produce 550 watts for longer since there are more panels to collect that not perfect sun.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I simply want to share what I've researched and looking at using in our Solitude 310...

https://gpelectric.com/products/sola...arging-system/

Maybe it'll help others in there quest for solar.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 310GK-R came with it. Havent a clue how to use it. I would assume its "on" for the residential fridge when traveling? Or do I need to do something to activate it?
    TIA

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsdad60 View Post
    My 310GK-R came with it. Havent a clue how to use it. I would assume its "on" for the residential fridge when traveling? Or do I need to do something to activate it?
    It's not automatic. You have to turn your inverter on to power the fridge while driving. On my 310GK-R, the inverter switch is located on the forward wall of the basement pass through on the passenger side. If you want to charge your batteries from the factory solar panel on the roof, you need to turn your solar charge controller on. The remote for the charge controller is located on the rear wall of my basement pass through (again on the passenger side).
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the factory solar. I did not order it. However, there is nothing to shows me how to use it. Is it automatic? I see the controller and the panel on the roof, etc. I have full hookups 90% of the time, but for the next few months I will be on a farm hunting. I do have hookups, but would love to test it out a little. ie run a max air fan with windows open etc. I would also like to know if it will run my norcold fridge while in tow similar to my old 5er that had an inverter and residential fridge. I travel thru tunnels alot and have to have propane turned off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12