Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tire wear

Fireside Member Jerry & Barbara's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tire wear

For those that track tire wear. What would be considered an average mileage before needing to replace trailer tires. I have a 2017 Reflection 303rls. Just curious what kind of mileage most folks are getting. I know most tires age out, before wearing out but I am curious. 2 years ago I put Goodyear Endurance on to replace the Westlakes. I have about 15000 miles on those now and they are down to about 5/32. How does this compare to other peoples tire wear?
    Thank you
    Jerry
    Jerry & Barbara
    2017 Reflection 303RLS
    2016 F-250 Lariat 6.7 Short bed SRW 4X4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry & Barbara View Post
    For those that track tire wear. What would be considered an average mileage before needing to replace trailer tires. I have a 2017 Reflection 303rls. Just curious what kind of mileage most folks are getting. I know most tires age out, before wearing out but I am curious. 2 years ago I put Goodyear Endurance on to replace the Westlakes. I have about 15000 miles on those now and they are down to about 5/32. How does this compare to other peoples tire wear?
    Thank you
    Jerry
    On our Solitude with factory Westlake G tires, we have ~13,500 mile on the tires (rotated every 5~6,000 miles and set to 110 PSI) and they have worn about ~3/32. Started with 11/32" and are now 8~9/32" tread depth with no more then 1/32" total difference on any single tire.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Sailun S637s we had on our 2016 Reflection 337 had 27,822 miles on them when we sold the trailer - and still had more than 2/3 of their tread left. They will age out on the new owner before they wear out. A lot of that depends on alignment, though. Our Reflection had the MORryde independent suspension which is fully alignable for caster, camber and toe. High mileage may be harder to achieve with solid axles.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is good info. I have never seen where anyone has put in writing how many miles traveled and what tread depth they had at that mileage. Second Chance makes a interesting point too regarding solid axle vs the independent and mileage difference. I have always heard the 6 year rule when it came to replacing trailer tires.
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jerry - I did not measure the tread depth but we had just over 12,000 miles on our original 15" D rated Westlakes before I had the GDRV Factory Service Center complete upgrades to include new 16" wheels and tires in May, 2018. The original 5 year old 15" tries were wearing well with just a little more wear on the street side front inside edge I suspect due to the roughly additional 800 lb. weight on the street side tires. I think we could have gotten 30K total on the tires if we chose to do so with some rotation to account for the weight bias wear situations with these floor plans.

You may recall that our RV is stored indoors over the winter (7 months or so) and the tires are not exposed to sunlight at our home RV pad during the summer months. This situation along with careful maintenance and not abusing our tires (proper air pressure, not excessive speed, avoiding curbs/potholes/road challenges) as best we could, makes me comfortable that we could have gotten this type of mileage out of our original tires.

A number of folks have shared the 4 - 6 year or so time frame for replacing the tires on RVs. Like many things I think the answer really "depends" on many factors......some of what I shared in the preceding paragraph.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide