User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pheasant hunting

I just returned from 3 days pheasant hunting in SD. We did really well hunting, saw lots of birds and got our limits. Now it’s time to start making pheasant chili, pheasant jerky, etc.

While seeing a lot of birds is great, it’s really about the people. The friends and family we go with as well as the farmer and his family and friends. I would make this trip every year even if I couldn’t hunt. I grew up as a city slicker and to spend time on a working farm is really great. Down to earth people that really understand what is important in life. I think they work harder than I ever have but it is a simpler way of life I think.

A couple more weeks and I will go to a different part of SD with a different group of family and friends to spend time with a different farmer and his family. Might even do some hunting. We have visited them in the summer months as well and parked the rv in their yard. They have become really good friends.

Anyway, just wondering if there are other pheasant hunters in our GD family.

Mark
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am an avid hunter, while I haven't hunter pheasant in over 20 years (since I left Colorado), I have hunted almost every year in New Mexico. I hope to be able to do more hunting while we full-time.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I
    I'm from SD and will never leave. Hunting is a good side activity but the best part of SD is the open fresh air, filled with hard working folks that know the value of dollar. I'm so happy I have my whole family here in Western SD. I hope floks that move here don't try and move there way of life here, if that is what they want, they shouldn't have left there home,,,,

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MN-Mark View Post
    I just returned from 3 days pheasant hunting in SD. We did really well hunting, saw lots of birds and got our limits. Now it’s time to start making pheasant chili, pheasant jerky, etc.

While seeing a lot of birds is great, it’s really about the people. The friends and family we go with as well as the farmer and his family and friends. I would make this trip every year even if I couldn’t hunt. I grew up as a city slicker and to spend time on a working farm is really great. Down to earth people that really understand what is important in life. I think they work harder than I ever have but it is a simpler way of life I think.

A couple more weeks and I will go to a different part of SD with a different group of family and friends to spend time with a different farmer and his family. Might even do some hunting. We have visited them in the summer months as well and parked the rv in their yard. They have become really good friends.

Anyway, just wondering if there are other pheasant hunters in our GD family.

Mark
    Yes, Mark - born in Gregory County (one of the best pheasant hunting areas for decades) and started hunting on my grandpas and dads old farms near Herrick, SD in Gregory County when I was in elementary school. I used my grandpas and dads 410 single shots.....still have my dads.

Rooster hunting was one of my favorite hunting adventures doing it every year multiple times during the season in various locations in mainly the SE part of the state with various size groups of family and friends. Late season hunting after a snow event and going after some big, wily, colorful old roosters was always challenging and enjoyable. Have not hunted birds or big game in a few years for various reasons.

The best part is always the family and friends. Gracious, genuine, caring, hard working, farm and ranch country folks who appreciate the land what has been provided and who are outstanding care takers of it as a way of life is refreshing indeed.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From our Northern hot spot ,not South Dakota but we still get a few ,pointers here are like cheating
    Retired Pilot 2021 Grand Design 30 g 2018 Ram 3500,2015 Harley Davidson CVO Road Glide

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Red dog,

Those are some beautiful birds and beautiful dogs, Looks like you had a great outing..

Mark
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    B & W Companion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last pheasant I shot.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1111181336.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	39221
    2019 Imagine 2800BH
    2020 Chevy 2500HD LT Z71 6.6 gas

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks like a late season bird, great picture. I love late season hunting.

Mark
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    B & W Companion

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a hunter and agree with everything you said Mark. I'm from Nebraska and no longer hunt pheasants as often as I'd like but still hunt doves, rabbits, deer and turkey. There's just something about the folks in the rural parts of our country that is very appealing. They seem to be more genuine, more caring and more humble. I do some ice fishing around Valentine Nebraska and especially enjoy the people there. Maybe it was named "Valentine" because they have bigger hearts.
    Ross & Sue | Papillion, Nebraska
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2020 F-350 XLT CCSB FX4 7.3L Gas
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I trained bird dogs on a ranch outside Valentine when I graduated from college. Was only there for about 4 months, but I loved it. No pheasants, but sharptails. Beautiful, open country.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast