User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    james quinn

Canadian Standards

For a 313RLTS, I am looking for information on specific differences between a standard unit and one built to CSA standards (QAI inspected). If anybody knows what they are I would appreciate the info. I don't seem to have luck getting the information from GDRV. Thanx

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi James,

An intensely discussed topic amongst many Canadians living close to border points with the US. To be fair, our GD dealer (in Canada) was much more even-handed in discussing this topic than other RV dealers that I talked to. Some of the scare tactics used by Canadian RV dealers to dissuade customers from buying in the US are laughable. Their refusal to do warranty work on these coaches is less humorous.

To the specifics of your question . . . I can only offer what I see on my purchased-in-Canada 5th wheel. It would be interesting to put it side-by-side with a US unit to see how much difference there really is. I can't believe that GD has different bins of parts, boxes of appliances and spools of wire for Canadian vs US products.

Some of the labelling is English/French but not all of it.
    Almost all of the component literature notes that these devices meet CSA standards.
    I had reason to take apart an electrical outlet and noticed the CSA logo inside.
    The axles have both UL and CSA on the labels.

It will take input from someone who took delivery of their GD product in the US, to know if there is any difference.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe I heard once from a reputable source, that the difference is a bonded/unbonded neutral wire in the electrical system.

I am not an electrician so this is just what I heard and I couldn't tell you the difference.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't expect that you'll get a direct answer from GD or any other manufacturer due to their policies encouraging to buy locally, particularly Canadian customers.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LostinCanada View Post
    I believe I heard once from a reputable source, that the difference is a bonded/unbonded neutral wire in the electrical system.
    Hi Derek,

Interesting input ! I can't believe either country standards would want/allow a bonded neutral (white wire connected to green wire) anywhere in the trailer wiring. This should only happen at the source of the power. I will check this out on our Reflection.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by james quinn View Post
    For a 313RLTS, I am looking for information on specific differences between a standard unit and one built to CSA standards (QAI inspected). If anybody knows what they are I would appreciate the info. I don't seem to have luck getting the information from GDRV. Thanx
    Hi @james quinn,

My understanding is that you spoke with someone in our Customer Support team today, so unless I hear differently from you I will consider this closed/handled.

Best regards,
    ~ Janice
    Mailing & shipping address: Grand Design RV, Attn: Customer Support, 13868 CR 4, Bristol IN 46507
    Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST, closed holidays)

- Phones: Grand Design RV Corporate at (574) 825-8000 or Customer Support (direct) at (574) 825-9679
    - Fax: (574) 825-9249
    - Email: [email protected]

- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GrandDesignRv
    - Twitter: https://twitter.com/granddesignrv
    - Google+: https://plus.google.com/113479014558069639097
    - LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/grand-design-rv-llc
    - Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/granddesignrv
    - YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHa...PuUd3J3NHNyXVQ

For EMERGENCY or immediate assistance contact your RV dealer or GDRV Customer Support directly at (574) 825-9679 with your 17-digit RV VIN, name, and phone number.

james quinn
    Difference as per GD is glue on plumbing and electrical wiring. Glue is may be synchronized shortly but electrical wiring not yet. USA wiring is wrapped in paper inside whereas Canadian wiring is vinyl wrapped. Electrical inspection appears to accept but my suspicion is that CSA may not like the paper for issues such as flamability/smoke or insulation qualities...just a guess though. Personally it's worth the extra little to not have grief on the road, but others may differ.