Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2021 261BH - The journey so far.

I've been gone from My Grand RV for some time, as I wanted to see how this all played out with repairs and such before posting anything about my experience.

I'm now ready to share my story - simply the facts. I'll keep my personal opinions and emotions in check.

I purchased a new 2021 261BH from a dealer about one hour away from me on June 23rd 2020.

At the time of this message, I've owned the RV for for 164 days.

My RV has been in for repairs for a total of (and counting upwards as of today) 78 days. That is 48% of the time I've owned the RV: July 28th - August 8th (11 days) and it's been in the shop since September 28th (expecting it back at some point next week).

I reached out to Grand Design, having no luck with the repair shop (a reseller of GD). I did not hear back from them until 09-14-2020 - this was some time (over a month) after I reached out to them, but they did apologize for the delay. They have been in communication with the dealer off and on since that point.

Problems:

Both skylights were cracked (over-torqued screws) which caused cracks and leaking.
    P-trap going into wall (kitchen) leaks.
    PEX fitting (kitchen) leaks.
    Awning stitching started to come undone, a tiny hole grew over the few trips I took.
    Ladder brackets began to rust after it rained once.
    Fresh water sensor (only one that should work most of the time) was installed incorrectly.
    Furnace blew 80% of the air in the bathroom, 15% in the kitchen and 5% in the bedroom.
    Rubber gasket (foam) on top of the hinges for all outside storage compartment doors and outside grill fell off.
    Duracoat paint, outsourced by GD, was poorly sprayed on the panels of the RV (6+ panels in total), leaving the underside lip of the panels exposed (bare metal).
    Trim holding the ceiling panels up in the bedroom were stapled poorly, ceiling fell.
    My entire ownership (when it was in my possession anyways) I had to keep the slide extended (out) to prevent leaking on the inside when it rained. Top trim piece on the slide out "bows out" when the slide is closed. Gasket/seal does not close tightly in the center, rain enters and rolls off the (closed) slide roof onto the floor inside.
    Bottom hinge of the door buckles when it's hot (sun pointed at it), door buckles wildly while opening/closing.

I'll end it there. As I said, I'm not going to share anything but the facts in this post. If someone wants to know why the RV sat in a parking lot at the dealer for 78+ days, and how GD was or was not helpful with this matter, I'd be happy to share that with you.

Take it as you wish. For those wondering, no, not all the repairs will be resolved when I take back possession next week.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear of your problems. Glad GD got back to you. Can you request a different repair shop? I’ve seen others posting here in the past that have done that.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only other GD certified shop is 2 1/2 hours away and there is no guarantee they would be any different (I know nothing about them). More importantly, snow is around the corner and it would have to wait until Spring anyways.

There are four other RV dealers/repair places within 45m-1h driving distance, none would be covered by GD however.

The entire purpose of buying new was for the warranty. The entire purpose of buying a Grand Design was because they stood out for their customer service. I have no problem fixing minor issues myself, as I've done this for years - but that defeats my purchase of a new unit entirely.

As for GD, I'm not going to place blame on them for this - but they are not innocent either. In at-least one case a claim was filed for the slide out not sealing and GD shot it down. The dealer failed to tell me this for weeks - and never followed up with GD on it either.

I'm that customer stuck in the middle of a dealership and the manufacturer. The dealership was practically in love with GD at time of purchase - this week they have a different tone altogether - blaming GD, insisting it's GD and not them. GD has also either refused to answer or completely ignored direct questions regarding repairs that I have asked them.

I paid for it, so I'm no longer important - on both sides.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mention four other RV dealer/repair places.... but not covered by GD

Did GD say that? I ask because it’s my understanding that any RV dealer or repair shop that’s authorized to work on RVs can be a possibility with the exception of Camping World which GD will not authorize. Can you contact GD Service again to clarify?
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    You mention four other RV dealer/repair places.... but not covered by GD

Did GD say that? I ask because it’s my understanding that any RV dealer or repair shop that’s authorized to work on RVs can be a possibility with the exception of Camping World which GD will not authorize. Can you contact GD Service again to clarify?

The dealer that I've been working with and purchased from told me this. Pretty sure I read that on GD's website as well (or perhaps the owners manual, maybe multiple places). I haven't spoken to GD about it.

I don't really care who does the repairs, I just want them done - and the reasoning (excuses) I've been given for months on end are pretty weak. Some of which include: "Our technician is missing, we don't know when he will return." ... "We're waiting on GD to accept the warranty repairs before we continue" (4x on that one) .. "We couldn't find any issues during our water test" (2x on that one - they ignore my documented photos I have given them showing the problem, they have zero communication between departments and employees).

Now that I know this might be a possibility, I'll bring it up.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I would want to do a conference call with the dealer and GD so everyone will have the same "facts".
    Then follow up with a summary e mail to both the dealer and GD.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins