Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cooking Meals On The Road

Quote Originally Posted by christinaV View Post
    Hi Guys, I know this is a silly question but we are going on the big trip next month, I am just curious to know what do you guys like to cook while camping. I know there are a lot of people who like to eat noodles, but I need to know other than noodles.

We cook it all. Assuming you stay at places with electric hookups then anything goes,. Crock-Pot meals are always on the menu with pork loin, chicken dishes, beef roast, and anything else you can think of. We carry a small electric griddle for cooking breakfast outdoors most mornings, eggs bacon, sausage, spam, hamsteaks, and sometimes pancakes or french toast. We also have a portable grill so we can do burgers & dogs, chicken, ribs, steaks, or fish... but our favorite "grilled" meal is a nice thick London Broil with sauteed onions and mushrooms. The little oven in the RV comes in handy when you have no power to make small pizza, pot pies, or any baked items. We also carry a few different varieties of canned soup with tomato basil being our favorite... nothing like a bowl of hot tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich for a quick dinner. We have a tradition for many years now of making chicken quesadillas on our first night and always have pre grilled/seasoned chicken with us that we use. The pre-grilled chicken is also great in salads or wraps.
    Last edited by IBEW Sparky; 10-29-2021 at 04:56 AM.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We (or should I say I
    ) cook like we are at home. We're in the camper more than the stick/brick anyhow. Nothing really special is planned because we're out on the road other than when we are rolling keep it fast and easy. We grill quite often, if we're just hanging out for the day I like cooking over the campfire. I picked up a ninja foodi so can slow cook or pressure cook or even roast as the need fits. All fatty stuff like sausage and bacon gets cooked outside, don't like lingering grease smells or having to clean the grease up. We rarely use the stovetop

I do like heading out with easy meals in the freezer. Spaghetti sauce, chili, chicken bone broth (can't throw away bones with a pressure cooker) or even a bowl or 2 of stew to heat up. Chicken broth is versatile and can go in quite a few directions for a meal. Anything that goes in the freezer is portioned so there are limited leftovers to store.
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 10-30-2021 at 08:06 AM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    I see this is your 1st post , Welcome ! What GD do you have and how big is the trip you're heading out on?

I do like heading out with easy meals in the freezer. Spaghetti sauce, chili, chicken bone broth (can't throw away bones with a pressure cooker) or even a bowl or 2 of stew to heat up. Chicken broth is versatile and can go in quite a few directions for a meal. Anything that goes in the freezer is portioned so there are limited leftovers to store.

This is what we do as well. Precooked / vacuum sealed easy meals. Then stuff to cook on the Weber grille or Blackstone griddle , we carry both. I don’t like cooked food odors inside. Sides are the same as at home - salads , fresh veggies, fruit. If we’re out looking around we’ll pack a light lunch , or eat at a diner with outside seating sometimes.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing we do differently from eating at home is to plan out the meals we want to eat on the trip. We do this because we need to ensure we have all the ingredients and spices with us to prepare each meal.

We also ensure that easy meals and/or lunches are available from the fridge or the hutch cabinets which are accessible without opening the kitchen slide, because, our pantry is not accessible with the slide closed.

Speaking of the slides, we can access the fridge, bathroom and bedroom without opening any of our slides. However, we will often park next to a curb, or on an end space where we can open the living/dining room slide (passenger side slide) so we have access to our recliners. With the living room slide open, we have access to the kitchen sink as well as the microwave to heat up something for lunch (we have an Inverter that can run our microwave).

On long trips we pretty much pack everything we are going to eat from the start. We supplement/extend our meals by eating out a few times along the way. Usually, we only have to add a grocery run to replenish perishables like milk, bread, fruit and vegetables.

PS: We made a list of meals and their required ingredients/spices and we use that same list as a starting point for every trip.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cooking Meals On The Road

We have been wondering what people do for meals and prep while traveling to their destination.

In September 2022, we are headed to Yellowstone for a month, "LOTDOCKING" while traveling there. We are figuring 6 days on the road, 4 days Lotdocking and 2 days at a
    campground to fresh'n up and recharge the rig.

We don't want to be in a Walmart lot cooking on a grill/flat top. We were thinking cooking in a crock pot, plugging the crock pot into the cab of our truck. Not sure if the truck
    can handle the wattage, something I need to look into.

Maybe soup and sandwiches, or precook at home and then reheat in the rig.

We hope you all get what we are after. Interested in hearing what people do and how they handle meals on the road.
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoJoSo View Post
    We have been wondering what people do for meals and prep while traveling to their destination.

In September 2022, we are headed to Yellowstone for a month, "LOTDOCKING" while traveling there. We are figuring 6 days on the road, 4 days Lotdocking and 2 days at a
    campground to fresh'n up and recharge the rig.

We don't want to be in a Walmart lot cooking on a grill/flat top. We were thinking cooking in a crock pot, plugging the crock pot into the cab of our truck. Not sure if the truck
    can handle the wattage, something I need to look into.

Maybe soup and sandwiches, or precook at home and then reheat in the rig.

We hope you all get what we are after. Interested in hearing what people do and how they handle meals on the road.
    That’s a great idea. I think most truck inverters are limited to like 400 watts? Pretty sure a good sized crock pot is probably closer to 1000 or 1200 watts. Check your crock pot though. We do simple meals and cook inside the rig on the stove when traveling like that, or eat out.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When planning a trip, the first priority is the itinerary, the second is the menu. I have spreadsheets for both. We keep the pantry fully stocked at all times. There are always a few prepared dishes (vacuum sealed leftovers from home cooked meals) in the freezer. The menu is really driven by the type of trip we're taking. We recently got back from a trip visiting four national parks. We were on the go all day, everyday. Breakfast was hard boiled eggs, cereal and the like. Lunch was made up of trail food; beef jerky, crackers, cheese, apples, nuts, etc. For dinner, it was the meals from the freezer on especially busy nights. Time permitting, we grilled or prepared more elaborate dinners in the trailer. If we are doing a local weekend trip or visiting family, food becomes the primary focus. I set up a camp kitchen that includes the Blackstone and Weber grill. I might even pack a smoker (electric or charcoal depending on the hookups) and barbeque a pork shoulder, brisket, ribs, or a turkey. This summer while visiting my mom, I splurged and bought $300 of king crab legs and created a feast for 8 family and friends...crab omelets with the leftovers the following morning...best thing ever.

So, cook however it suits you and your schedule. If you enjoy cooking and have the time, there is nothing stopping you from eating like you do at home or in my case, better.
    2022 F450 Platinum
    B & W Companion
    2024 Brinkley Model Z 3610

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We sometimes place our first meals in tin foil (seasoned meat and vegies) secured to the manifold of our truck. As we sometimes get a late day start to our next campsite several hours away, then register, and finish setting up, we got a hot meal already cooked and ready to eat.

In (our other endeavor) the offroad world, its a great way to cook while having fun wheeling for 3 or so hours. Not to mention some darn good food to boot!
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See my post #7 in this thread, been doing this for many years both RV and Jeeping. Maybe something to consider as well...

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...while-big-trip
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    See my post #7 in this thread, been doing this for many years both RV and Jeeping. Maybe something to consider as well...

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...while-big-trip
    Great idea. My luck, I'd start a grease fire in my trucks engine compartment.
    I've heard of this but never seen it done. Something to consider for burgers maybe.
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast